Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 04:35:35 AM
713324 Posts in 53055 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  PETA supports terrorism! « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: PETA supports terrorism!  (Read 6967 times)
frannie
« on: December 13, 2002, 06:45:52 PM »

so i am at a concert and all i want to do is hear some good bands but there are some PETA hippies there handing out fliers.  and these fliers are full of ridiculous arguments.  one says that chickens are noble animals that form social hierarchies and the other points out that chickens on farms have their beaks removed.  apparently PETA doesn't care that chickens will basically peck each other to death as part of natural behavior.  apparently its ok for chickens to kill each other, we just can't kill them and eat them ourselves.

and as far the terroism thing goes:
PETA says leather is bad -> buy synthetics -> synthetics come from polymers -> polymers come from oil -> oil comes from the middle east -> the money we spend on oil winds up going to terroists that then blow stuff up
follow the logic.  sorry felt like ranting.
Chadzilla
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2002, 06:51:51 PM »

Sorry, it will take a lot more than a few Vegan Hippies to convince me that a chicken is a noble animal.

Well, time to hope in the old SUV and trot over to the megamall and buy a gazillion gifts derived from polymers...damn Lucas/Kenner, making me support terrorists!

Chadzilla
Gosh, remember when the Internet was supposed to be a wonderful magical place where intelligent, articulate people shared information? Neighborhood went to hell real fast... - Anarquistador
frannie
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2002, 07:26:15 PM »

there was also the time where i got into an argument with some anti-sweatshop hippie.  apparently they refuse to acknowledge that cheap labor means cheaper products and $1 an hour might be s**tty pay in the states but it might be considered a dam good wage in another country.

christ!  hippies p**s me off.
Funk, E.
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2002, 07:33:53 PM »

If wages were the issue I'd agree with you, but the problem with third world labor usage is the human abuse issues. Hazardous working conditions, no support for injured workers, infested food, obscene hours, child labor. Poor pay is just one of the symptoms of exploitation and though I like exploitation in my films I don't care for it when directed at my fellow human being.

Hell, I'll put you in a sweatshop with a union level wage and you'd STILL quit before the the end of your first shift... if you could
J.R.
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2002, 08:04:46 PM »

Sometimes I think the world would be a better place if I were allowed to punch every hippie in the lung with a rifle butt. If you think about it hard enough you can connect buying or using anything to poor third world conditions or terrorists. It's part of the hippie mentality that America is this international bully and how we're the real global terrorists that opress third world nations. No, it's their poorly run governments. And what bullies send out trillions of dollars in aid? And helped Germany rebuild after the war they started, and France after the same war which they thought best to puss out of? And then they turn around and spread anti-American sentiment. F**k 'em. All of 'em. America's the best and they're just jealous.

~I cried because I no shoes, until I met a man that had no feet. I killed him and made shoes out of his skin.~
Chadzilla
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2002, 08:14:17 PM »

Agreed (well, not with the rifle butt bit), but ALL of our hands are dirty and no amount of reasoning,  relativism, excuse making, or denial will change that simple fact.

Chadzilla
Gosh, remember when the Internet was supposed to be a wonderful magical place where intelligent, articulate people shared information? Neighborhood went to hell real fast... - Anarquistador
Funk, E.
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2002, 09:40:29 PM »

You're more than welcome to TRY and "punch me in the lung with a rifle butt" (that doesn't even make sense). How old are you... 2? Do you think that we as a world power have no moral obligations to the rest of the world and that what ever we do is okay? Yes, we helped Germany, France and Japan after WW2 and it's just about the last intelligent thing we've done in terms of foreign policy! When our industrialists were pulling the same stunt on us we unionized and went on strike and fought very hard some times in the face of the violence you propose to be treated right and not as a means to someone elses economic ends. People take advantage of other people and no matter how many times it happens IT STILL ISN'T RIGHT! If you lived my your own arguement I should be able to enslave you if I can get away with it. Every good thing we do we get to take credit for and every bad thing we do is someone elses fault is that it?

Yeah, Chad mistakes have been made, but that's not an excuse. Just because someone kills one person and the fact that people have been killing people forever doesn't make it okay? Since they've already "done it" why not do it again? That doesn't make sense. People in the United States were exploited before they decide they didn't like it and we forced the industrialists to stop. They are now exploiting others because they can't get away with it here. Does that make it okay? No. They should still be stopped.

Understand, I don't care if they take advantage of the difference in economic scales. If they can pay someone else $1/hr for a job that they would have to pay $15 for here, fine. Go for it. ESPECIALLY if the worker can get the same quality of living off of that $1 that we could get off of $15 (which I doubt). It's the un-nessecary "cost-cutting" hazards and hardship that they are sujected to for no better reason than greed that needs to be monitored.

Lastly... What the f**k does any of this have to do with B movies or even PETA?
Dano
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2002, 12:08:04 AM »

Go for it. ESPECIALLY if the worker can get the same quality of living off of that $1 that we could get off of $15 (which I doubt). It's the un-nessecary "cost-cutting" hazards and hardship that they are sujected to for no better reason than greed that needs to be monitored.
*****  Of course this assumes that the sweat shop is in a foreign country and not one of the ones run illegally right here in the US, using illegal aliens.  I don't think JR really thinks sweatshops are a good thing, nor was he serious about wanting to harm anyone with a rifle butt - but rather he was expressing frustration at people who seem to think America's imperfections make it an evil entity full of hypocrites.  The kind of reasoning that leads Muslim protesters to carry signs that say: "Ask yourself America, why does the Muslim world hate you?"  JR and many Americans just want to say: "Gee, I don't know?  Because we feed it, train its doctors and engineers, send it medicine, allow its charities to raise money here, keep its economy afloat by using oil, find oil for it to exploit and sell us, build the machines it needs to get that oil, protect it's people from folks like the Serbs by risking the lives of our soldiers...  or maybe it's because we produce the music and movies that large parts of the Muslim world can't get enough of."  I loved the footage of the kid in the Darth Maul t-shirt carrying a down-with-America sign in an Egyptian protest.

There - I worked movies into this decidedly non-movie-related topic.  It was a stretch.

Dano
"Today's Sermon: Homer Rocks!"
JohnL
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2002, 02:56:07 AM »

>If wages were the issue I'd agree with you, but the problem with third world labor
>usage is the human abuse issues. Hazardous working conditions, no support for
>injured workers, infested food, obscene hours, child labor.

And if we all stop buying products made in those countries, everything will get better for those people?

Let's face it, the only people that have any hope of changing these things are the government and the UN, and everytime they do something like that, people start screaming that the US shouldn't be interferring in the affairs of other countries. Which is it? Do you want other countries left alone, or do you want something done to change these conditions?
J.R.
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2002, 04:40:04 AM »

<>

Exactly. Damned if we do, damned if we don't. If we do, we're bullies trying to police the world, if we don't we're greedy capitalist pigs that don't care. These people will always hate America no matter what.

~I cried because I no shoes, until I met a man that had no feet. I killed him and made shoes out of his skin.~
Pete B6K
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2002, 09:39:31 AM »

>And if we all stop buying products made in those countries, everything will get >better for those people?

One minor thing you can do is switch to buying 'fair trade' items where possible (eg bananas and coffee). It makes sure that the actual source of those items, the growers and pickers etc, get  a reasonable price for their product.  I know its only a small thing but if everybody did it could make a real difference.

>And what bullies send out trillions of dollars in aid?

Many African countries are paying the 'western countries' more in debt repayments and interest than they receive in Aid.

And America does in a way 'bully' countries. America does it's best to make sure that no country in the world can grow strong enough to become a threat. It has in the past 'overseen' elections in many countries (the ones I've read about were South American) so that the US-friendly capitolist candidate would win. And when justified revolutions in these countires occur, America steps in to stop them.

I'd like to make it clear that I'm not 'anti-American' at all, I just dislike a lot of stuff your government does. I also dislike a lot of stuff our British government does, too.  Tony Blair's like the kid in the schoolyard who would stand behind the tough kid shouting insults at people over his shoulder.  And right now the governments all over the news for getting caught out lying to the public.

>America's the best and they're just jealous.
I quote "Patriotism is the belief that your country is better than all others because it's the country you were born in"  This is the kind of ignorant statement that makes people dislike America.

And unfortunately you won't be able to punch me in the lung with a rifle butt, because we have these lovely gun-control laws, one thing our country got right. Maybe you'll just have to resort to hitting me with a stick or something.

Pete

Now back to movies, saw 'Battle Royale' the other day. Amazing film. I'll start a new thread for that one.
Ash

23 Year Badmovies.org Veteran

« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2002, 11:45:39 AM »

Holy s**t!!  Flames!!!!

AAAhhhhhhh!!!

Another flame war has erupted.

Take it from me Funk E., just do a search using my name or ask any of the regulars on this phorum that starting a flame war (of which I've started many) DOES NOT PAY!

It just creates a terrible argument that ends up going nowhere fast and BELIEVE ME, the regulars on here will have you for breakfast if you get them going hard enough!  
On top of that, Andrew (the proprietor of this site) will scold you for starting it.

I've been scolded by him (though he didn't use my name).

Now settle down kids and play nice!!
Flangepart

« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2002, 03:03:18 PM »

Uh,Peter6bk....Those "Lovely gun laws"  have preceded a major increase in  crime in England and Aussie land. I've read your papers (Love that internet access!), and, you ain't doing so good. Your more likely to get robbed at gun point in London then in New York!
So...as i remember a story of a young man found knifed to death in Manchester while i was there last year....who needs a gun? Pass a law? Big deal. Change the hearts and mind of your fellow citizens ( Yes, that includes mine)..and you may have something. And don't think all your fellow brits love those guns laws....got it from the horses mouth...they don't.  Here in columbus, you break into a home, you might well get carried out on a gerny. You do it in old blighty...and its pay day.
Also...."Patriotisim is the belief that your counrty is better then all others because its the country you were born in"....And that applys to loyal British and American citizens who came from other countries how? Alister Cook ( Author of the book, "My life in a chair") became a U.S. Citizen. Still loved England...but not enough to stay there.
I like England, and the people. But, like you, i do watch my Government with a jaundiced eye.
Still....lets not get a flame war started.....weren't we here to read about B-movies, BTW?

"Aggressivlly eccentric, and proud of it!"
Trollificus
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2002, 09:51:28 PM »

Good points about the gun control laws.

Wages paid by multinationals are GENEROUS by Third World standards and most of the problems in the form of excessive hours, bad/unsafe working conditions, kickbacks and sexual abuse come from the LOCALS who are put in charge. Certainly, it is the Western Corporations responsibility to oversee the administration of their businesses, but it is 'negligent oversight' NOT EXPLOITATION, that they are guilty of.

That said, conservative sod that I am, it sickens me that after some company like Nike takes thousands of American jobs and exports them so they can pay poor people in poor countries $4/day...they turn around and hike up the price of the shoes to $200/pair because they pay a basketball player $10 MILLION a year to endorse them. And does HE need the money? A sick situation. Not quite as simple as presented by the Anti-globalizationistas, but sick, nonetheless.

"...ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge"
-Charles Darwin
Chris K.
« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2002, 11:22:27 PM »

Pete B6K wrote:
>
> And America does in a way 'bully' countries. America does
> it's best to make sure that no country in the world can grow
> strong enough to become a threat. It has in the past
> 'overseen' elections in many countries (the ones I've read
> about were South American) so that the US-friendly capitolist
> candidate would win. And when justified revolutions in these
> countires occur, America steps in to stop them.
>
> I quote "Patriotism is the belief that your country is better
> than all others because it's the country you were born in"
> This is the kind of ignorant statement that makes people
> dislike America.

Before I chime in, let me also say I am not anti-American at all either. I love my country and such. But, I do agree that their are times when America does bully other countries and that our patriotism is being just mixed up as what Pete has defined. Whatever happened to just being proud of your country and the love of America, rather than going by "my country is better than all the others" theme which is the type of patriotism that is expressed today.

As an American, I am just proud of my country. I never go around bitiching about how "My country is better than this one or that one?" because it just doesn't seem the correct way to be patriotic. If I did that, I would be more of a rude, bully jerkoff American rather than a respectful individual who is proud to be an American. But, if this is the way how America has to act in order to push the "were better than you" ideal, it just makes us look stupid. And whatever the case may be, America has done some good and bad. And so has other countries as well, so we are technically head-and-toe with them on that subject.

In anycase, I just wanted to give my little say and stop from there. I don't want this to be a flame war either, so let's just halt and go back to our usual B-movie discussion, please. And really, what does this have to do with PETA specifically?
Pages: [1] 2 3
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  PETA supports terrorism! « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.