Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 07:25:00 AM
714201 Posts in 53091 Topics by 7734 Members
Latest Member: BlackVuemmo
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  The Story of GI Joe « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: The Story of GI Joe  (Read 4498 times)
Ringneck
« on: May 18, 2001, 03:29:23 PM »

This is one of the forgotten war movies, and probably the best.   Short summary, its the true story of Ernie Pyle(the reoporter who followed teh US infantry around in WWII) and his travels with the 16th Infantry regiment, first Divison.  "GI Joe", the average solider is played by Robert Mitchum, the rest of the cast while good, were never to become known commodities---Except he who played Ernie Pyle, Burgess Meridith.  

Not only is Meridith the right age for the part, but he is physically identical.  he also plays the role in a kind of funk (Pyle in real life hadd a crazy wife, and was moody anyway).  

This is a Bill Wellman film, so its sort of dark anyhow.  But the best part was it was filmed in 1944-45 as teh war was closing, on location within miles of the front.  all the extras are real GI's, and they get to really use the pyro FX when fighting through a ruined Italian town.  For those uniform and equipment buffs, all uniforms and vehicles are early war, no late/post war stuff.  

Just came back out on video, check it out.
Flangepart
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2001, 12:42:59 PM »

I've long wanted to see that one. "Battleground" shows up every so often, and it's a keeper too. Van Johnson and others do a great job with the G.I. field of view. No music after they reach the front line....that fact makes the reality of their deadly situation more memorable. "Hell is for Heros" is one of Steve McQueens earlier flicks,and a good one. Black and white films don't need color, just proper storytelling to do the job.
Ringneck
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2001, 03:36:53 PM »

Battleground is one of my fav's too.  Van Johnson plays a great character that he developes well.  Check out "Go For Broke" where he plays the officer of the 442nd Regimental Combat Team(the Japanese who fought with the Americans in Italy and France).  Totally differnt character than Battleground.  It has the almost the same level of authenticity as GI Joe as well.

Another one you dont see often isn the origional Thin Red Line.     Its as dark as the novel, but its not a forced darkness, it seems rather natural.  REALLY corny authenticity though(MP-40's used as Jap and US subguns, US .30's used by Japanese), my favorite farb up is how the Japanese and US soldiers wear the same fatigues, except the Japs just button their top buttons!  Also notice the sergeants plastic grenades on his webgear.    

Hell is for Heroes, like you mentioned is another good one.  Bob Newhart and Bobby Darin arent people you think would do well in a war picture, but they are very beliveable.  

If you get a chance check out "Attack!" with Eddie Albert, Jack Palance, and Lee Marvin.  this is a pre Shane role for Palance so he isnt having to mimic that image every role like he did after Shane.  

BradLaGrange
Flangepart
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2001, 11:45:52 AM »

Good call,Ringneck. Hell is for Heros had a great cast. In addition to Newhart and Darren(Who also did good in Capt. Newman,M.D., ...shame he diden't live to get more acting roles...)Nick Adams and James Coburn, ...the guy played the Lt....darn, what was his name? Speaking of Lee Marven, The big Red one was good too, i thought. His ultimare was the Boss man in the Dirty Dozen. Being a former Marine, He had NO problim with believability...when he said jump, the other actors all said "How high,Sir!"  Another film i've not seen yet is A walk In the Sun. Thats suposed to be good too.....Hey, you don't think Andrew will get peeved at us mentioning all these  Army movies, do ya?
Ringneck
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2001, 01:15:49 PM »

A Walk in the Sun is pretty good.  Loosley based on the war time documentary  "Battle of San Pietro" if I'm not mistaken.  Lloyd Bridges is in AWITS in an early role, also check him out in a bit role as a Brit in the begining of Sahara(also a GREAT war picture, and the Belushi remake was nearly as good).  

Cant think of the Lt. from Hell is for Heroes either, Fess Parker was the captain. Interesting fact is that the 95th Infantry Division (the patch they wore in that movie) really was ordered to guard a long segemnt of the Siegried Line/Westwall like the characters in the movie do.  The rest of the 3rd Army was swining north to protect the 4th Armored while Patton sent it to bale out the Airborne in Bastogne (after Battleground forever to be prounounced as BAST-og-nee).  

To appease Andrew I guess we could talk about some of the really good USMC movies, there were a couple.  Battlecry is pretty good, Halls of Montezuma is also up there at the top.  Robert Mitchum was in a war time flick about Marine Raiders called "Gung Ho"(may be wrong about the title) that was fun to watch and has the most evil Japanese to ever appear on screen.  

BradLaGrange
Andrew
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2001, 11:19:55 PM »

No worries about me getting peeved.  I still have a few brain cells that function along the lines of reason and restraint.  It's not like you'd find me naked in a cell, thrashing and screaming at the chains binding my limbs.

Andrew
Ringneck
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2001, 12:17:22 AM »

Andrew, I thought the pictures of you thrashing in chains had already made the rounds...............
Flangepart
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2001, 10:33:24 AM »

Thats because of the famous "I can't..Feel..My Ass!" event. I hear Ken and Dr Freex had to offer him a case of beer just to get him into the Hearse..Uh, ambulance.
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  The Story of GI Joe « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.