Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 04:28:16 PM
713364 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Battle Royale « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Battle Royale  (Read 4489 times)
Pete B6K
Bad Movie Lover

« on: December 14, 2002, 09:53:12 AM »

Just saw Battle Royale the other day after a friend's recommendation. Thought it was great.

The best way I can descibe it is a cross between Lord of the Flies and Survivor.  As part of a futuristic Japanese law, a class of teenagers is kidnapped and set loose on an island with a weapon each, after being told that they must fight to the death and in 3 days the winner will be allowed to leave.

And I was surprised to find that the director was 70 when he made it. It really comes across like the debut of a talented, enthusiastic, fresh young director.  I've always suffered from the prejudice that old directors make uncontroversial regular films.

Has anyone else seen it?

Pete

"Here's your list of friends in the order they died." - Kitano, the teacher, in one of his 6-hourly updates to the children over the island's loudspeakers.
Neville
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2002, 10:51:05 AM »

OK movie, but I expected more. Not that the movie is bad, it is just that the constant changes of tone left me a bit confused. What did the movie really wanted to achieve? I enjoyed it anyway, and my favourite scene is the one with that bad guy using a samurai sword with that nerd who had been given the bullet proof vest.

Due to the horrifying nature of this film, no one will be admitted to the theatre.
Brian Ringler
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2002, 01:13:24 PM »

I got the region 1 dvd from poker industries awhile back. I thought it was a good movie.  Actually saw someone at the bar where I live (well in the town I live in, I don't live in a bar) that had a battle royale t-shirt.  He and I were both shocked that someone else in a town of 9000 actually knew of that movie.
Fearless Freep

« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2002, 01:48:04 PM »

The "Friday Night Society" has a review of Battle Royal that's pretty good

=======================
Going places unmapped, to do things unplanned, to people unsuspecting
lester1/2jr
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2002, 02:07:54 PM »

I saw it on a vcd that had 2 other movies on it.  It was apparently very contraversial in Japan.
Mofo Rising
Global Moderator

My cat can eat a whole watermelon!

« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2002, 09:38:40 PM »

lester1/2jr wrote:
>
> I saw it on a vcd that had 2 other movies on it.  It was
> apparently very contraversial in Japan.

Also hugely succesful in Japan.

I bought a DVD off of eBay, but it had huge imperfections that looked like waterspots on it.  I was only able to watch about half of it.  It wasn't as great as I hoped, but I didn't get to finish.  I was thinking it would be really disturbing, but once you've read LORD OF THE FLIES you know what to expect.

I'm waiting for somebody to release it in the U.S..  That's currently slated to happen never.  (Commercial suicide.)

Every dead body that is not exterminated becomes one of them. It gets up and kills. The people it kills, get up and kill.
StatCat
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2002, 12:50:42 AM »

I saw it recently myself its pretty good, entertaining for the most part. I like the concept but a few parts left me confused and some stuff was unbelievable. Theres actually a really nice dvd out there (I have a copy from it)
indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2012, 12:46:51 AM »

I finally got around to watching this - the Director's Cut DVD version - tonight.  A very interesting and well done film; neither as good nor as bad as I was expecting, but impossible to step away from!  Some of the scenes are almost comical, others are pretty disturbing.  Definitely worth viewing if you have never seen it!

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
retrorussell
In the town of Valentine Bluffs, there are many ways to die. Take your pick.

Hanniger! I'll be waiting in HELL for you!

« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2012, 03:09:32 AM »

Great flick.  One of my favorite scenes is when the hormonal kid comes onto the tough bad girl and she rejects his advances.  He grazes her face with a crossbow bolt and  she goes completely bad-@$$ on him and stabs him in the d*ck.

I also like the girl in the instruction video, cheerfully informing the students that they must kill or be killed.

"O the legend they say, on a Valentine's Day, is a curse that'll live on and on.."
Chainsawmidget
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2012, 03:57:40 AM »

I own it.  It's a very entertaining movie, but the manga it's based on is much better (and has a completley different director for the program that's much less symapthetic  and more twisted.)
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964

« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2012, 10:30:15 AM »

I bought the DVD several years ago from HK Flix, a website that I now understand no longer exists.  It was a great source of DVDs and they often offered several versions of movies (for example, a U.S. release version, a German release version, a Hong Kong release version).  In general, the movies were a bit pricey, but I bought a few movies that weren't available from US. distributors at the time.

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
molokai cargo
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2012, 12:41:54 PM »

wasnt this the inspiration for the Hunger Games ;)
bob
I survived Bucky Larson

Torgo watches you masterbate!

« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2012, 07:24:36 PM »

this is a fantastic film  Thumbup

Kubrick, Nolan, Tarantino, Wan, Iñárritu, Scorsese, Chaplin, Abrams, Wes Anderson, Gilliam, Kurosawa - the elite

I believe in the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.
El Misfit
[Insert witty here]
B-Movie Kraken

Hi there!

« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2012, 07:48:42 PM »

One of my favorite film, in my top 10! Cheers

yeah no.
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Battle Royale « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.