Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 12:53:08 AM
713383 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Battlefield Earth « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Battlefield Earth  (Read 11765 times)
chris
« on: February 24, 2001, 06:55:03 AM »

I've seen some truly bad movies in my life. I own a copy of StarCrash afterall but nothing can prepare you for this nugget of pure sh*t. Battlefield Earth is most certainly the worst big budget film I have ever seen. Of course I laughed my butt off when I saw this in the theater. A theater of people in stunned silence in the face of Travolta ode to crap.The pain!!!!  
 Well, I was at Best Buy the other day and saw the movie for sale on VHS and DVD and in big letters it said something to the effect of "Edited for Home Video". Now this is not about it being modified to fit your screen etc. I have no intention of renting or buying this movie but was wondering if anybody knows what was edited out? Did they cut all the bad stuff out? If so then we would be left with a completely blank VHS tape and/or lovely DVD drink coaster. Any clue what was edited out of the video? Was there a lawsuit involved possibly? Just wondering....chris
Scott Davis
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2001, 04:42:02 PM »

I'm gonna comeout and say "I ENJOYED THIS FILM!"

As for whats cut.... I have no friggin' idead. Maybe John Travolta had his name removed from the credits.
Andrew
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2001, 06:09:22 PM »

I waited on seeing it until the DVD came out.  Having now ingested the beast, I can say that it hurt my head.  Not really entertaining, plus some of the problems troubled me.  Much like "Pitch Black" (though I enjoyed the latter more than BE), having put my common sense organ away from me it proceeded to crawl back across the room and tug on my pants.

Andrew
(Who needs to clean his carpet now.)
Scott
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2001, 09:13:41 AM »

No doubt this movie was the worst in every way. This film had nothing going for it. I just hope Travolta can still find work after doing this movie. I haven't heard anything new from him since.

I thought the idea of teleporting a nuclear bomb to another planet was unique, but unfortunatly it dosn't help this film at all.

This is an example of a film that has no value and should be burned. It simply didn't follow the concepts of being interesting or even entertaining. Uggh.
alienstepin
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2001, 03:13:05 PM »

this movie is a gem in its bad badness. an enigma of our day. a big stinking sphinx from the hallucinating gods of elron hubbard's venus offered to make us all feel better about ourselves.

i too submitted myself to the DVD version which includes some hilarous and scary scientologist propaganda in the supplemental material. the commentary (i couldn't stop listening to it until i finally snapped myself out of it and JUST WALKED AWAY) is mind numbing.

the director repeats how this movie was INTENDED to be a comic strip. OK. i'll buy that. i want to believe that. how else can it be explained. but they started work on the SECOND PART while the first was nearing release. not simultaneously. which means they were dumb enough to think the major market would eat it up.

there's an anti-BE website (http://www.xenutv.com/us/battlefield.htm) that has realvideo of interviews outside of a theater and travolta peddling his movie. people either say they hate it or, i guess figuring they were going to be on a commercial, said it was great.

every time travolta said "ratbrain," and that's a lot, i figured he was talking to me.

silence or i'll vaporize you.

it is the Starcrash or our day times ten. at least hasselhoff (sp?) was a nobody whereas travolta is a confused cultist.

ABSOLUTELY HILARIOUS: check roger ebert's "at the movies" review wrap up (also on the site above). "two thumbs down. way down. way way down. way way way down."

and his written review at chicagosuntimes.com:
http://www.suntimes.com/ebert/ebert_reviews/2000/05/051202.html

"Battlefield Earth" is like taking a bus trip with someone who has needed a bath for a long time."

and

"The director, Roger Christian, has learned from better films that directors sometimes tilt their cameras, but he has not learned why."
chris
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2001, 01:32:50 AM »

for a link to just about every movie critic's review of Battlefield Earth go to

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/movie-1097232/
ER
B-Movie Kraken

The sleep of reasoner breeds monsters. (sic)

« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2023, 03:22:52 PM »

This movie picked on people whose favorite food actually IS rat. I don't do hate films, man.

What does not kill me makes me stranger.
FatFreddysCat
Movies, Metal, Beer!
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2023, 04:43:29 PM »

Roger Ebert's review of Battlefield Earth is my single favorite piece of his writing, ever. Some highlights:

"Battlefield Earth" is like taking a bus trip with someone who has needed a bath for a long time. It's not merely bad; it's unpleasant in a hostile way.

Hiring Travolta and Whitaker was a waste of money, since we can't recognize them behind pounds of matted hair and gnarly makeup. Their costumes look like they were purchased from the Goodwill store on the planet Tatooine. Travolta can be charming, funny, touching and brave in his best roles; why disguise him as a smelly alien creep? The Psychlos can fly between galaxies, but look at their nails: Their civilization has mastered the hyperdrive but not the manicure.

Some movies run off the rails. This one is like the train crash in "The Fugitive." I watched it in mounting gloom, realizing I was witnessing something historic, a film that for decades to come will be the punch line of jokes about bad movies.

After witnessing its legendary box office crash and burn, I resisted the urge to see Battlefield Earth till quite a few years later, when I bought a previously-viewed copy of the DVD at a music/movie store that was going out of business. If memory serves, I paid less than a buck for it.

That DVD sat on a shelf for a while more at my house, till I was home sick with a terrible stomach virus one day and bored out of my mind so I decided to finally give it a spin. I can honestly say that the only reason I made it through the entire movie is because I was too weak with fever and exhaustion to reach for the DVD remote and press the 'stop' button. Not only was Mr. Ebert's review savage, it was accurate!
« Last Edit: January 19, 2023, 04:53:06 PM by FatFreddysCat » Logged

Hey, HEY, kids! Check out my way-cool Music and Movie Review blog on HubPages!
http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
bob
I survived Bucky Larson
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Torgo watches you masterbate!

« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2023, 05:43:55 PM »

Awful movie. Not only did I keep getting angier and angrier as the film progressed, I ended up getting a headache because of the constant Dutch angle uses.

Kubrick, Nolan, Tarantino, Wan, Iñárritu, Scorsese, Chaplin, Abrams, Wes Anderson, Gilliam, Kurosawa - the elite

I believe in the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2023, 06:37:11 PM »

Some  'bad' movies are FUN bad! Some are  BAD.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2023, 06:39:57 PM by RCMerchant » Logged

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
Cult_Moody_Movies
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2023, 06:51:26 PM »

Outside of Travolta having a 3 piece meal of the entire movie.....this is a horrid film. My dad dragged me to see it at our local base theater (I was an Air Force brat) and you could hear the entire audience groaning. Some do say this is one of the best bad movies.....I don't agree. Battlefield Earth just doesn't have enough going for it.

I also saw Steel (with Shaq) and I found that a far more enjoyable.
Ted C
Bad Movie Lover

Turn Up the Evil!

« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2023, 09:24:12 AM »

I covered it for badmovies.org back in the day.

http://www.badmovies.org/forum/index.php/topic,145012.0.html

"Slugs?  He created slugs? I would have started with lasers, six o'clock, day one!" -- Evil, Time Bandits
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Battlefield Earth « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.