Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 05:09:48 AM
714232 Posts in 53092 Topics by 7736 Members
Latest Member: ShayneGree
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  where's the dvd? « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: where's the dvd?  (Read 5939 times)
Susan
« on: December 16, 2002, 10:56:22 PM »

"the incredible shrinking Man"
"Dragonslayer"
Red Sonja (ok, i like the conan flicks!)

Who at the studios do I have to bribe to get certain titles released on dvd? Meanwhile i'm subjected to jennifer lopez movies and "baby, secret of the lost legend". Is there just no way of knowing if a movie will ever be released?

Is there no God? What films have been on your waiting list...

Brother Ragnarok
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2002, 11:58:40 PM »

While I would love to see Dragonslayer and Red Sonja on DVD with some kickass featuers (Anchor Bay is Slaytanic with special editions), I grew up on Baby, Secret of the Lost Legend and it's one of my favorite childhood flicks.  I didn't know it was coming out on DVD.  More information, please?

Brother R
J.R.
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2002, 12:01:58 AM »

And where's Texas Chainsaw Massacre? The Frighteners? Monster Squad?
All of them have great LDs, so what's the holdup?

~I cried because I no shoes, until I met a man that had no feet. I killed him and made shoes out of his skin.~
Chris K.
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2002, 01:14:05 AM »

MGM aquired the Charlie Band/Empire Pictures films (after they were purchased by the now defunct Orion Pictures Corporation, which I might add MGM also owns Orion) back in the early 90's, and to this day not one of them has been released on VHS or DVD.

With their Midnite Movies on the way, it would be nice to get MGM to release the Stuart Gordon/Empire flicks FROM BEYOND and DOLLS as a "Double Feature". And with the other Empire features THE ALCHEMIST, THE DUNGEONMASTER, ZONE TROOPERS, TERRORVISION, TROLL, etc. I would like to see these out as well. Our old bootleg tapes are not going to last very long.
K-Sonic
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2002, 01:51:58 AM »

I want "Three The Hard Way", Widescreen, with commentary by Jim Brown, Jim Kelly & Fred Williamson.
Greywizard, The Unknown Movies
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2002, 03:02:25 AM »

> And where's Texas Chainsaw Massacre?

On DVD. You can easily buy it from Amazon.
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2002, 03:08:16 AM »

> MGM aquired the Charlie Band/Empire Pictures films (after
> they were purchased by the now defunct Orion Pictures
> Corporation, which I might add MGM also owns Orion) back in
> the early 90's, and to this day not one of them has been
> released on VHS or DVD.

Not quite. CRAWLSPACE is on a double feature DVD with the non-Empire THE CELLAR. And they did re-release GHOST WARRIOR and CELLAR DWELLER on VHS, though they are exclusive titles at Amazon.
Brian Ringler
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2002, 04:09:45 AM »

My waiting list contains these films:

Summer Camp Nightmare
Legend of Billie Jean
Angus
Wacko
Student Bodies
Primetime
They call me Bruce/They still call me Bruce (that would be a great double feature dvd)
Chopping Mall
Massacre at Central High
Porky's Revenge (you gotta finish the trilogy)
Revenge of the Nerds 3/4 (same as above, I'm a completist)
When Nature Calls (not ace ventura the troma movie)
Basketcase 2/3
The State (complete season set)
Rest of the Killer Tomato movie (why is part 2 the only one on dvd?)
Glory Daze

and out of all of those movies, the only one that I think stands a chance to get released is When Nature Calls since troma does actually release their older films.  Then maybe a couple of the others stand a miniscule chance with companies like anchor bay but most of them I'll never see released on dvd.
Chris K.
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2002, 02:52:12 PM »

Greywizard, The Unknown Movies wrote:
>
> Not quite. CRAWLSPACE is on a double feature DVD with the
> non-Empire THE CELLAR. And they did re-release GHOST WARRIOR
> and CELLAR DWELLER on VHS, though they are exclusive titles
> at Amazon.

Yes, CRAWLSPACE was released on a Double Feature DVD with THE ATTIC, not THE CELLAR as you called it.

And yes, now I recall GHOST WARRIOR and CELLAR DWELLER were released on VHS via MGM in the early 90's, however I know those who have seen the MGM video releases and the quality was very disappointing.

But even so, MGM still has a batch of Empire flicks that are just crying to be out on DVD in their original aspect ratio. And if they do release them, I hope it isn't going to have just a trailer for suppliment material. Charlie Band is still around and it would be nice to get an audio commentary on the films TRANCERS, THE ALCHEMIST, and THE DUNGEONMASTER. Ted Nicolaou directed TERRORVISION, so he's still around for a commentary. DOLLS and FROM BEYOND can have a commentary from Stuart Gordon, Brian Yuzna, Jeffrey Combs, and Barbara Crampton (these people aren't dead yet). MGM doesn't realise what gold they have on their hands.

An on-line petition needs to be started.
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2002, 05:37:26 PM »

> Yes, CRAWLSPACE was released on a Double Feature DVD with THE
> ATTIC, not THE CELLAR as you called it.

Whoops! Guess I was still thinking of CELLAR DWELLER when recalling all those titles.

I agree there is probably an audience to justify DVD releases for many Empire movies. However, I think with the exception of a few titles (like FROM BEYOND), they would sell better if they were released in the double-feature format.

Oh, there are two other Empire movies currently on DVD that I neglected to mention: RAWHEAD REX and ASSAULT OF THE KILLER BIMBOS. Though some people might not consider them "official" Empire movies.
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2002, 05:49:56 PM »

> Rest of the Killer Tomato movie (why is part 2 the only one
> on dvd?)

The distribution rights for the 2nd Tomato movie are held by New World (at least what's left of them), and Anchor Bay has an exclusive contract with them to re-release their movies on DVD and VHS (Coming up next year: The ANGEL trilogy!)

The 1st movie was re-released on video a few years ago by Disney, so they might still have the rights for a DVD release. As for part 3 and 4, Fox did have the distribution rights when they were released on video several years ago, though the contract may have expired by now.

Four Square Productions (the company that made all 4 movies) is still around, and has a web site. You might want to contact them to inquire about possible DVD releases for the remaining 3 movies.
JohnL
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2002, 01:42:33 AM »

>I grew up on Baby, Secret of the Lost Legend and it's one of my favorite
>childhood flicks.

I remember liking that one too, but I saw it a couple years ago and couldn't believe how bad the dinosaur effects were. Ok, I know that the idea for Jurassic Park hadn't even been thought up back then, but I thought I remembered them as being more convincing...
Susan
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2002, 12:37:55 PM »

Am I the only one who saw "baby, secret of the lost legend" when it came out and thought it was the most ridiculous thing ever? lol

In fact I had mixed feelings about "jurassic Park" as the modern day equivilent of that dribble. But, I do think JP3 is superior in all respects, but i digress

I just can't figure out how some popular titles never get released while stuff like 'egah..or egad'..something like that, gets released.

Does anyone know if this film is on DVD? (i ask because the name eludes me at the moment). Jack the ripper goes into the time machine to the future while being pursued by the creator of the time machine.

Andrew
Administrator

I know where my towel is.

« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2002, 01:47:22 PM »

> Does anyone know if this film is on DVD? (i ask because the
> name eludes me at the moment). Jack the ripper goes into the
> time machine to the future while being pursued by the creator
> of the time machine.

"Time After Time" and it is out on DVD.

Andrew Borntreger
Badmovies.org
JohnL

« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2002, 09:52:25 PM »

>Does anyone know if this film is on DVD? (i ask because the name eludes me at
>the moment). Jack the ripper goes into the time machine to the future while being
>pursued by the creator of the time machine.

Starring Malcolm McDowell as H.G. Wells, and David Warner as Jack the Ripper.
Pages: [1] 2
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  where's the dvd? « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.