Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 20, 2024, 08:41:30 AM
714256 Posts in 53092 Topics by 7736 Members
Latest Member: ShayneGree
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Without Warning, Sam Raimi and Zoolander « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Without Warning, Sam Raimi and Zoolander  (Read 2011 times)
Evan3
« on: December 18, 2002, 01:11:49 AM »

First, I just want to tell you that Showtime has a penchant for putting on B horror movies after midnight. You should check it out if you have it. Last night I had a choice between two which they were airing: Prom Queen 2 and a movie called Without Warning.
I chose Without Warning and it was an invasion movie made in 1980 starring Jack Palance and Martin Landau. It was surprisingly good, it even had gratuitous violence against a cub scout leader (this excites me since I am an Eagle). It had its moments and the special effects are TERRIBLE as is the acting. Yet it is a fun experience, and many things took me by surprise I highly reccomend it, it is GREAT. Has anyone else seen it???

Also, I have seen the funniest movie in a long time. It is called Zoolander starring Ben Stiller. I just bought the DVD (along with Minority Report) and the extras are even better,. I gaurantee that you will enjoy it a lot.

Finally, as good as Spider Man was, I think Sam Raimi belongs in the horror genre. The Evil Dead was amazing, while Spider Man was only excellent. I think he could have made movies like Jason X or the Ring a million times better. His quick pace and gore really add something and I always seem to like his camera angles. I hope he still does Spider-Man, but I hope he doesnt turn out like that ass James Cameron and forget his roots.
J.R.
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2002, 02:55:03 AM »

Zoolander is funny, but the best jokes were used in the ads, and I actually don't think it was silly enough!

After he wraps Spidey 2 Sam is attached to "40 Days Of Night", an adaption of the gothic comic book about vampires descending on Alaska during it's month of darkness.

~I cried because I no shoes, until I met a man that had no feet. I killed him and made shoes out of his skin.~
Squishy
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2002, 06:18:13 AM »

"No help... no chance... no escape!!!"
--Martin Landau, hamming it up right out of the stratosphere

"Without Warning" may be tough to find, but is well worth it. I'm just going to rattle off some names:

Greydon Clark!
Martin Landau!
Jack Palance!
David Caruso!
Cameron Mitchell!
..and Larry Storch as The Scout Master!

The last movie for Ralph ("Food of the Gods") Meeker and almost the last one for Neville ("Eaten Alive") Brand.

If you imagine "Predator" as a VERY episodic teen-slasher flick with the worst low-budget makeup FX possible, you have "Without Warning." The alien hunter flicks Frisbee-like tomato slices at its victims, which proceed to sprout hooks and fangs to kill with. (They cannot, however, cope with windshield "glass.") The alien then stashes the bodies in an old shack because his spaceship is just waaaaaay out of reach of the budgie.

Most of the victims are random idiots who perform little "plays" (the eternal father/son conflict straight out of "All In The Family," the ultra-dorky Scoutmaster stereotype) to eat up time before the killer tomato slices abruptly take them down.

Ultimately, the standard two-pairs-of-teens drives into the ugly scrub brush in which this movie takes place, and get caught between the alien hunter, Palance's nutjob alien-hunter hunter, and Landau's nutjob "Vietnam Vet" stereotype, complete with flashbacks. It's not pretty, but it's pretty funny.
Chadzilla
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2002, 01:20:58 PM »

I remember when this came out, I ssssooo want to see it.  One of the few drive-in 80s flicks that slipped through my fingers.  Hope Blue Underground or Anchor Bay releases it on DVD sometime soon.

Chadzilla
Gosh, remember when the Internet was supposed to be a wonderful magical place where intelligent, articulate people shared information? Neighborhood went to hell real fast... - Anarquistador
Evan3
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2002, 02:43:29 PM »

Ah yes, that was the best line in the movie!!! Which character was Caruso??? I must say, it was enjoyable, but why is it that everyone in that movie was totally useless, even the alien hunter hunter
Squishy
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2002, 04:50:07 AM »

Caruso, according to the IMDB link in my earlier message, played "Tom," which was probably the male of the Secondary (Dead-Meat) Teen Pair. (It's been so long since I've seen it, I couldn't tell you for certain.) It was his first movie; Lyz The Wonderful really should have it in her "Skeletons In The Closet" section.

"Ike!! Do your imitation of David Caruso's career!!"
--Kyle getting his little brother to leap off a great height in "South Park"
Evan3
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2002, 03:02:18 AM »

Squishy, I remember that line from South Park, it was great.
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Without Warning, Sam Raimi and Zoolander « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.