Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 11:17:50 AM
714313 Posts in 53092 Topics by 7741 Members
Latest Member: SashaHilly
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Off Topic...The Day the Music Died...Holly's Autopsy Report & More « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Off Topic...The Day the Music Died...Holly's Autopsy Report & More  (Read 4113 times)
Ash
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

23 Year Badmovies.org Veteran

« on: December 22, 2002, 08:13:40 AM »

In a recent post about where we're all from, I mentioned that I've been big into Buddy Holly lately (you would've never guessed it from my profile pic)and that I've been itching to visit "The Surf Ballroom" up in Clear Lake, Iowa which is just over 2 hours drive north from me.
It was the last place Holly & co. on their "Winter Dance Tour" played before they were killed in the plane crash shortly after takeoff.

I found some info on the internet which you might find interesting, though gruesome.

I found the coroner's report on Buddy Holly.

I also found the probable cause for the crash that claimed not only his, but the Big Bopper, the pilot and Ritchie Valens's lives.

Here's Holly's report:
From the Coroner's Report dated Feb. 4, 1959

"The body of Charles H. Holley was clothed in an outer jacket of yellow leather-like material in which 4 seams in the back were split almost full length. The skull was split medially in the forehead and this extended into the vertex region. Approximately half the brain tissue was absent.
 There was bleeding from both ears, and the face showed multiple lacerations. The consistency of the chest was soft due to extensive crushing injury to the bony structure. The left forearm was factured 1/3 the way up from the wrist and the right elbow was fractured. Both thighs and legs showed multiple factures. There was a small laceration of the scrotum.

Personal effects found with the body are listed on a separate sheet in this report.

Fingerprints were taken of the deceased for purposes of identification."

Ralph E. Smiley, MD
Acting coroner

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Personal effects, Charles Holley

Cash $193.00 less $11.65 coroner's fees - $181.35 2
cuff links, silver 1/2 in. balls having jeweled band.
Top portion of ball point pen.

Can you believe that!!??
The coroner actually took $11.65 from Holly's wallet to pay for his autopsy!  

Unbelievable!!

You learn something new everyday.

Here is the link to the coroner's general report as he arrived on the scene of the crash:  http://www.fiftiesweb.com/coroner.htm

And here is the link to the Civil Aeronautics Board Report:
http://www.fiftiesweb.com/cab.htm

I felt the need to post this for those of you who don't know much about this tragic event.
To see the Surf Ballroom where they all last performed, go here: www.surfballroom.com
They even keep the original phone on the wall that all 3 stars used to make calls shortly before their deaths.

In late January 2003, they're holding "Legend Fest 2003".  
It's part of "The Winter Dance Tour"  (yes, they still hold it every winter!)

The emcee is the Big Bopper Jr.!

And get this, among the other many performers taking part in this 3 day event, NELSON is performing!!!  LOL!!!
I nearly fell outta my chair when I read that!
Still though, I'm gonna try my hardest to make it there and see the show.

Man, how cool it would've been to see all 3 of them that night in 1959!
I can just picture Holly onstage strutting & singing "That'll Be the Day".
The stage lights reflecting off of the lenses in his glasses.

I still love all of their music, even if they died 15 years before I was born.
I find the entire story VERY intriguing.

Any thoughts??

Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Off Topic...The Day the Music Died...Holly's Autopsy Report & More « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.