Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 11:59:19 AM
713350 Posts in 53056 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  The Church « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: The Church  (Read 2883 times)
Will
« on: May 21, 2001, 10:37:01 PM »

I believe this is Dario Argento protege Michele Soavi's first feature (after his documentary Dario Argento's World of Horror).....It borrows liberally from the (argento produced) Lamberto Bava film "Demons" and a little from "Rosemary's Baby," but it's a fun romp nevertheless, with a young (looks 15 or so) Asia Argento as the heroine....

Not bad at all. Has anybody seen it?
Dr. Freex
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2001, 01:15:44 AM »

I have, and it is pretty darn good.  Apparently it was actually released in Europe as "Demons 3" so the resemblance isn't all that strange (and unlike the first two Demons movies, there's actually a backstory to explain the creatures' appearance).  

Soavi directed another feature before this one, though - a more straight-forward slasher (or gialli, if you prefer) called "Stage Fright" over here.  He's also credited with a direct-to-video movie called "The Valley" - about which I know absolutely nothing - the same year as his Argento documentary.
Will
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2001, 01:30:37 AM »

Damn, I'll have to check those other two out.  Thanks, Doc.  I'm a huge fan of D'ellamorte D'ellmore (called Cemetery Man here)....Michele gots himself a bit o' talent for surreal, humorous, philosophical horror.
Nathan
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2001, 11:00:50 AM »

I thought The Church was a little too uncontrolled -- yet another example of a filmmaker (Europeans are particularly guilty of this) saying, "I want a scene in there like this, and a scene in there like this, and one in which this happens..."  The actual story gets sort of lost along the way.

A large part of the problem is that we spend the whole first half of the movie following the American man and woman -- then they disappear.  The denouement involves the old priest and the young priest, who were practically invisible for the first half.

Nathan
Kevin
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2001, 04:40:17 AM »

The Valley is a rock video featuring music from Argento's Phenomena.

The Church was originally going to be called Demon Cathedral and would have been an "official" continuation of the Demons series. Before that there was even talk of a Demons Film set on board a trans-Atlantic airliner!

Soavi also made The Sect, which borrows very heavily from Rosemary's Baby but is still amazing in its own right - well worth tracking down. It's a shame he's done nothing since Dellamorte Dellamore in 1994 as I thought he was going to be the natural successor to Argento - anyone know what became of him?
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  The Church « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.