Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 11:59:18 AM
713350 Posts in 53056 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Remembering how Blockbuster Sucks « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6
Author Topic: Remembering how Blockbuster Sucks  (Read 21910 times)
Deena
Dedicated Viewer

« on: January 10, 2003, 12:28:16 AM »

Tonight I went to blockbuster, seeing as I had avoided that place like the plague since I acquired a late charge there 2 years ago (the sad part is it was only 4 bucks--and i still didn't want to pay it, damn nazis).  I was feeling generous and curous since I hadn't been there in so long.  I originally went in there to check out the horror and (you can make fun if you want) old wrestling ppv's.  Well they had ONE ROW of horror, it was a small row, just one sided.  And they had 3 wrestling tapes.  I was p**sed, but I was reminded why I didn't go there (well besides being cheap).  It was not a lost cause, because I did pick up a copy of John Water's "Female Trouble" for 3 bucks.  And now those nazis at blockbuster will never get my 4 dollars for my 2 yr old late charge.  MUHAHAHAHA!!

Still laughing evily,
Deena

Politics is showbusiness for ugly people
TC
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2003, 02:37:13 AM »

The Blockbuster in my area carries a good selection of horror on DVD.  All of the VHS tapes have been phased out since DVD is pretty much the way to go and will generate more revenue than VHS.   My view on wrestling PPVs is the same as my view on anime or UFC tapes.  I don't watch em, so I really don't care if they are carried or not.  Plus, Blockbuster is going to make most of it's rental revenue on new release titles and DVDs.  

Oh, and as for not paying off old late fees from Blockbuster, beware.  If the fee is over a certain amount and not paid off in a certain time frame, it gets sent to a collection agency.
JohnL
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2003, 02:43:39 AM »

Not to mention that they won't arry NC-17 movies and that they influence studios to create toned-down versions of some movies so as to maintain their 'family' image. :-/
TC
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2003, 02:45:25 AM »

Well, except when they carry the  "unrated" versions of certain DVDs....like American Pie 2 and Road Trip.  Oh, and that one movie that I will probably pronounce wrong...Y Tu Mama Tambien or something like that.
nshumate
B-Movie Site Webmaster
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2003, 11:53:21 AM »

Just call it "Yo' Mama" and the clerks will know what you mean.  Honest.

Nathan Shumate
Cold Fusion Video Reviews
Sci-fi, Horror, and General Whoopass
Creepozoid
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2003, 12:39:35 PM »

Every Blockbuster I've seen has no no horror selection at all. They have this thing I call a "Wes Craven and some other crap" section and that's it. Screw their family image.
TC
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2003, 12:55:47 PM »

I think the most entertaining part of working at a video store is the incorrect title names that a customer will give you when looking for a movie...For instance, a customer will ask if you have a movie in stock...Instead of giving the right title, something more creative will spill out of their mouth.  Examples I've heard:

The Shimmyshank Redepention

How Stella Got Her Grove On

The Movie With the Two Fairies In It (This was an old man asking about the movie "The Birdcage")

I know I've heard a lot more, I just can't think of them off the top of my head.
Chadzilla
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2003, 01:11:15 PM »

Standing a long line, paying some 4 bucks a pop for some DVDs I could only keep for 36 hours or so, I heard someone in the line grumble "I have one word of advice for everyone here, NETFLIX."

Once upon a time I was a member and, upon returning home, rejoined.  Monthly flat rate, all the DVDs I can watch, whenever...no regrets, no money or time wasted.

And they have a better selection as well.

Chadzilla
Gosh, remember when the Internet was supposed to be a wonderful magical place where intelligent, articulate people shared information? Neighborhood went to hell real fast... - Anarquistador
Mofo Rising
Global Moderator
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

My cat can eat a whole watermelon!

« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2003, 02:57:25 PM »

Well, the Blockbuster by my house has the "Movie Pass" deal, where you get two movies, DVD or VHS, out at a time for a flat rate.  Essentially the same as Netflix, depending on how much you pay.

I use both services.  Netflix for the obscure titles, and Blockbuster for the big new releases.

I think their "marginal" selection gets smaller all the time, especially with their larger DVD selection.  But I wouldn't say that completely.  The one by my house gets some strange older movies on DVD.

I also believe they have some sort of deal with Lion's Gate in stocking their crappy horror movies.

Now if you want to complain about their strong-arm business tactics, well then I'm all for you.

Every dead body that is not exterminated becomes one of them. It gets up and kills. The people it kills, get up and kill.
Chadzilla
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2003, 03:19:50 PM »

That arm might be getting a tad weak.  Blockbuster is one of the many companies that over expanded in the 90s and is bleeding cash.  Store closings and downsizing are expected, too many outlets too close together.

Heck, even McDonald's is having troubles.

Chadzilla
Gosh, remember when the Internet was supposed to be a wonderful magical place where intelligent, articulate people shared information? Neighborhood went to hell real fast... - Anarquistador
Deena
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2003, 04:00:57 PM »

I'm just happy for the little mom and pop video store here in town, Plan 9 Video, they have the best obscure movies.  As for my old wrestling unsavory habit, maybe lack of access will break me of it (although I did just buy 2 ecw dvds)

Deena

Politics is showbusiness for ugly people
babydoll
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2003, 04:16:46 PM »

Blockbuster sucks, but Hasting rules.  

Hasting here is about four times bigger than Blockbuster. It is cheaper too.
Brian Ringler
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2003, 07:58:45 PM »

The only thing I ever liked about blockbuster was the video game contests they had in the mid 90's.  I got a free trip from them to florida for the world championships for winning the sega genesis contest for the state of South Dakota.  Thing is there were only 3 blockbusters in south dakota at the time so I didn't have many people to beat.  On the other hand I've never rented from them much because I have always liked the local rental places that had more interesting movies and a better selection (they didn't have one million copies of every new release like blockbuster does but I can live with that).
Susan
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2003, 10:13:16 PM »

I boycotted blockbuster for the most part. Most chain video stores have ripped me off one way or another. One didn't specify the return date changing to noon vs. midnight (meaning they didn't alert customers of the change) and I racked up alot of late fee's...i contacted the company and they never did follow up. Some places i've gotten tapes recorded over used tapes (watching mission impossible was a nightmare since i could hear the audio for a show about sea otters mating)

You guys outta try netflix.com. You learn real fast places like that have better deals and far more choices. Not to mention there isn't the added pressure of having to watch the movie in 36 hours and not having enough time for multiple viewings. I guess people still like the old fashioned way of going to the store, but there really isn't a need for it. They never carry the movies you want and have 300 copies of bad flicks

Scottie
« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2003, 10:39:55 PM »

I use Blockbuster for one thing only: Blockbuster Favorites. They have a deal, where for only $9.99 a year, you can rent two movies for the price of one, so long as they both have been out on video for a certain length of time. I've used that system to get caught up on all the "classic" movies I have missed seeing since I've only been really interested in movies for about that time. At the minimum, I was watching two movies a week for only $2.12. I steer clear of both DVD's and new releases, because VHS is cheaper, and I feel that if any new release is worth watching, it'll still be around in a couple of years for me to watch when it costs less to rent.

But as for the "horror" section, it's basically a disgrace to be called a section of a Movie Store. About the only thing they have there that is even remotely b-movie related are their kung fu movies interspersed in the action section. They have a surprising number of them considering it's Blockbuster. However, if I want something unique, I go two blocks down and visit the ultimate "Video Review." a store three times the size of Blockbuster with a horror and sci-fi section that would drop the jaw of even the most seasoned movie veterans. The price for rental is the same, but you can only get one movie. But it's worth it. I haven't been to Blockbuster in a couple of weeks, and have been spending my time at the other place, where people care. It's nice to have that.

-Scottie-
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Remembering how Blockbuster Sucks « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.