Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 05:28:03 PM
713366 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Stephen King « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Author Topic: Stephen King  (Read 11850 times)
ahab
« on: January 11, 2003, 11:14:26 PM »

What Stephen King story would you most like to see made into a movie? I would like to see The Running Man remade and stick to the original story. I really think that it could be a great movie. Anyone got any ideas?

Shop Smart. Shop S-Mart.
Ash
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

23 Year Badmovies.org Veteran

« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2003, 03:22:28 AM »

"From A Buick 8"

I just finished it (the novel) a week ago and I must say that I think it'd make for a great film!

JohnL

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2003, 01:43:56 PM »

I'd like to see SK's short story sequal to Salem's Lot filmed as an episode of The Twilight Zone. It's set at night in the snow as some people are driving through what's left of Salem's Lot and encounter vampires.
Haze
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2003, 01:47:41 PM »

That story is quite good. I would like to see Jarusalem's Lot made into a movie that isn't so boring, Night Surf would make a good short film along the lines of Out Break and *shudder* Venomous.

But the number one that should be made into a movie is Grey Matter, it would be just silly.
Pete B6K
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2003, 06:30:44 PM »

Whats in the 'Running Man' book is different form the film. I've never read it.  My favourite King film's are the non-horror one's, Stand By Me, and the Green Mile.  I've not read any of his books that havent already been made into films, which can't be that many.

Pete
The Strange German
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2003, 09:27:16 PM »

Actually I'd find an adaption of The Long Walk interesting - it's my favourite Bachman title, read it four or five times. But I guess it's a quite unfilmable novel - a film version would probably consist of 90 minutes of people walking and getting shot dead.

cheers
Markus
Pancho
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2003, 10:54:58 PM »

I was thinking The Long Walk too but there's nothing to film but walking.  A great story that'd probably be the most boring movie ever.  "Look........ they're still walking"  the critics would love it.
JohnL

« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2003, 11:18:21 PM »

>Whats in the 'Running Man' book is different form the film. I've never read it.

If I recall correctly, in the book he went on the show as a voluntary contestant rather than being framed for a crime, but I'm not 100% sure, it's been quite a while since I read it. I do remember that he was free to go anywhere he wanted, even to other cities and the time frame was much longer. In the end, he's on a plane and mortally wounded, so he decides to crash the plane into the network headquarters.
Evan3
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2003, 11:48:00 PM »

There were two short stories, one about a crawling finger and the other about aliens with bat heads that only certain people could see. Both would make a good one. I also really enjoyed Desperation and that could be good.

Which book is the Salem's Lot sequal in??
Ash

23 Year Badmovies.org Veteran

« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2003, 02:47:36 AM »

I've heard that Desperation is actually in production right now!

Hopefully they won't screw it up like they ususally do with most of Kings' stories.

Susan
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2003, 09:10:31 AM »

At the time I read it i remember thinking the Talisman had potential at being a pretty fun movie. IT just seems like I'm overexposed to King movies and anything he directly has a hand in usually stinks. One of my favorite short stories for some reason was always "The boogyman", tho i can't imagine that filling a whole 2 hours. They might have to break them down like that Twilight zone movie

ahab
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2003, 11:13:45 AM »

Desperation is in production right now as a mini series. Being directed by Mick Garris who also directed The Stand, The Shining(97 remake) and Quicksilver Highway.

The Running Man movie made significant changes to the novella. In the book Richards volenteered for the game and the contest took place all over. He had to send video tapes of himself everyday to prove he was still alive and the game lasted 30 days. According to the main man the longest contest was 4 days. he got money for everyday he stayed alive and bonuses for killing the people and police chasing him. The prize was similar to the prize in The Long Walk, a billion dollars and a wish I think.  

I just re-read The Mist i always likes that short story and i think it could make a decent movie on a reasonable budget. I would like to see the govt conspiracy angle dropped though. A way overused plot device imho.

Shop Smart. Shop S-Mart.
Chadzilla
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2003, 12:54:34 PM »

The Mist, I'm still waiting for it...

Chadzilla
Gosh, remember when the Internet was supposed to be a wonderful magical place where intelligent, articulate people shared information? Neighborhood went to hell real fast... - Anarquistador
nshumate
B-Movie Site Webmaster
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2003, 02:06:07 PM »

Just think -- if the Running Man movie had been like the book, it could have been seen as prophetic of "Reality TV."  (If they made it now, it would look like it was following the trend instead of predicting it.)

Nathan Shumate
Cold Fusion Video Reviews
Sci-fi, Horror, and General Whoopass
The Strange German
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2003, 03:16:54 PM »

Speaking of that, way back in the 70's (before the EVIL that is reality TV really started to spawn) there was a German teleplay ("Das Millionenspiel") loosely based on a Robert Sheckley story (which in turn is believed to be the "inspiration" for the King/Bachman-novel... some people feel that the term "rip-off" would be more accurate. Haven't read the Sheckley story, so I can't really comment on that).

It was aired more or less in a mockumentary way (a popular TV show host played the TV show host and so on) and many viewers considered it to be real (some folks even applied as contestants). Since noone bothered to ask Sheckley for the TV rights (and he DID find out about it) it was shelved for almost thirty years until its first re-run a couple of weeks ago (where I, of course, missed it).

The prophets did their job - but noone listened to them...

cheers
Markus
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Stephen King « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.