Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 20, 2024, 03:43:06 AM
714255 Posts in 53092 Topics by 7736 Members
Latest Member: ShayneGree
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Equinox « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Equinox  (Read 1522 times)
onionhead
« on: January 11, 2003, 05:05:47 PM »

Anybody remember this one?  An expedition in the woods with a bunch of twenty-something-year-old teenagers looking for Professor Waterman, who discovers the Necronomicon Ex Mortis in a cave--check out the cackling old man in the shadows, a classic bit of emoting.  Frank Bonner pre-Herb Tarlik before WKRP, a sherrif named Asmodius, monsters by the great Ray Harryhausen--how the hell did he get here, Social Security was late in the mail?!  Anyway, I thought it was fun, good diversion from Freddy and Jason and that crap. Insight:  demonic posession turns your eyes black and makes you screw up your lips alot.  I seem to be having difficulties finding any web info on this one, so if there is any input out there, please tell me.  Thanx.
Haze
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2003, 05:35:54 PM »

Ah Equinox, definately one of those movies good for late night television. The movie is light weight and more or less pretty thoughtless. It is one of the cheesiest movies out there and damn it is fun to watch. Although, none of the characters worked out to be interesting and the stop motion is sometimes wasted. But it comes together with a cool ending and an almost Jack the giant Killer vibe.

Good stuff, I would give it 4 slimes.
Chris K.
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2003, 08:18:22 PM »

I to have a fond memory of EQUINOX and it is one of my favorites. But just to let you in on a little bit of history about the film, did you know that their are TWO versions of the film: the Director's Cut and the Theatrical Cut.

Back in 1967, a then unknown effects artist Dennis Muren was working on an amateur feature film with writer Mark Thomas McGeee. The film was titled THE EQUINOX: A JOURNEY INTO THE SUPERNATURAL and it was shot in 16mm on location in Pasadena, California. With stop-motion effects contributed by Jim Danforth and David Allen (Ray Harryhausen was NOT responsible for the animation at all), the film went into editing up until 1969. By the time it was completed, producer/distributor Jack H. Harris viewed the film and felt it was marketable. But, he requested some additional footage to be shot with the same actors and was directed by Jack Woods. The character of Asmodeus was also added in (played by Woods) and is not in Dennis Muren's version. Also, their was some additional animation sequences that were excised from the Theatrical Cut. Released in 1971, the film was re-titled EQUINOX and Dennis Muren did not recieve any directors credit in the Theatrical Cut.

At one point in time, it was announced that Criterion was going to release both THE EQUINOX: A JOURNEY INTO THE SUPERNATURAL and EQUINOX on DVD. Sadly, Critierion did not have any of this planned as it was all rumor.

The Director's Cut is usually available on ebay.com, so good luck trying to find a decent copy of the film in it's original intended form.
StatCat
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2003, 11:46:51 PM »

Never saw it, it was on tv a few times awhile back but I missed out. It heavily influenced evil dead from what I've heard.
chris
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2003, 01:30:53 AM »

This is one of the movies I can't believe scared the hell out of me when I was a kid.  I thought it was terrifying, especially the ending.  Watching it today though, it is a thoroughly entertaining film and a heck of a lot of fun.  I love it.
kriegerg69
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2003, 02:19:19 AM »

....been shown on AMC, which is where I recorded mine before AMC started with all those crappy commercials. But they DID run the Director's Cut, which really wasn't all that much longer.

There's also no question that EQUINOX influenced both EVIL DEAD as well as BLAIR WITCH PROJECT. That's something that's generally been acknowledged since BLAIR WITCH was out, and I've also heard some of the AMC hosts mention that as well. Just think of the similarities......

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
"Mein Führer! I can walk!!"
onionhead
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2003, 01:12:18 PM »

Thanx fer clearing up the Harryhausen bit--'twas a rumor I heard a few years after seeing it on late night tv.  Found a review of this gem last night and was interested to discover that Fritz Leiber Jr. was old Doc Waterman.
A director's cut--how about one for Abraxus?
JohnL
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2003, 02:08:07 PM »

I saw this on TV years ago, but I'm not sure which version I saw. All I remember is some people walking in the woods, and I think there was a winged demon. At the time I thought it sucked, but as I've been remembering it, I think I might like to see it again.
Vermin Boy
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2003, 08:40:01 PM »

I love this movie. I remember finding late at night on the pre-suck AMC, and I couldn't stop laughing. My favorite line (3/4 into the movie): "Hey, I just remembered! Asmodeous is another word for Devil!" And then, of course, there's the GIANT, STOP-MOTION LAND OCTOPUS! Did I mention I love this movie?

-Vermin Boy

My site: The Vermin Cave
My band: The Demons of Stupidity
?????: ?????
Gerry
B-Movie Site Webmaster
Bad Movie Lover

It's not what you say, it's how you say it.

« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2003, 04:34:45 PM »

Though an entertaining one at that.

Check out my review (with pics!)

Lancer
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2003, 05:37:51 PM »

I love this quote... "In one year and one day you would be dead!"  

One of my favort movies of all time...
thaticus
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2003, 12:39:23 AM »

i rented this at a texas movie store..twice..once under the name"equinox"and again under the title"the beast"..i also taped it off amc..i liked the goofy film the first time i laid eyes and ears on it..really cheap..."MYYYYYY CROSSSSSSSSS!!!!"
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Equinox « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.