Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 05:38:51 AM
714308 Posts in 53091 Topics by 7741 Members
Latest Member: SashaHilly
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  What are you reading? « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: What are you reading?  (Read 5183 times)
Mofo Rising
Global Moderator
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

My cat can eat a whole watermelon!

« on: January 12, 2003, 03:37:23 PM »

High time for another reading thread.

I'm reading AT THE MOUNTAINS OF MADNESS, the second book in the Arkham House collected editions of H.P. Lovecraft.

I'm also reading MAN OF TWO WORLDS: MY LIFE IN SCIENCE FICTION AND COMICS by famed DC Goodwill Ambassador Julius Schwartz.  He was a sci-fi literary agent for years (his clients included H.P. Lovecraft and Ray Bradbury), and later became an editor for DC comics.

I've got more lined up, but haven't decided what I'm going to read next.

Every dead body that is not exterminated becomes one of them. It gets up and kills. The people it kills, get up and kill.
Paquita

« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2003, 04:40:39 PM »

I'm reading "The Life and Times of Grigorii Rasputin"!! its pretty good!! IM NOT GOTH!

Most of my reading time gets taken up by the Weekly World News though.

Love,
Colleen

Brian Ringler
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2003, 04:47:42 PM »

I'm reading this message board...do that count?
Pete B6K
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2003, 06:11:27 PM »

I have this bad habit of starting new books before I finish the last one. So I'm currently reading, all at various stages:

'Stupid White Men' and 'TV Nation' by Michael Moore
'All You Need to Know About the Music Business' by Donald Passman
Che Guevara's 'Bolivian Diaries' and 'Motorcycle Diaries'
'How To Make It in the Music Business' by Sian pattenden
'Label Launch' by Veronika Kalmar
'Fast Food Nation'
'Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy'
'Cather in the Rye' by JD Salinger
'Dead Famous' by Ben Elton
'You Are Being Lied To' by Russ Kick and the disinformation people.
'The Book of the Sub-Genius' by JR Dobbs
And as far as comics go, I'm pretty new to them and own a few issues of 'Lenore' (hysterical twisted genius) and 'Milk and Cheese'.

So there's subversion, conspiracy theories, religious cult spoof and comedy based around a dead girl.  I'll check myself in voluntarily.

This week I'm mostly reading 'Stupid White Men' and the 3 Music Business books.
The last book I finished was about 6 months ago finishing 'If Chins Could Kill'. I'm sure that book dosent need any explanation here.

Pete
ahab
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2003, 08:06:12 PM »

i just finished From a Buick 8 and Bruce Campbell's auto-biography. Both great books and i recommend them to all horror fans.

Shop Smart. Shop S-Mart.
Vermin Boy
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2003, 08:34:33 PM »

"A Year At the Movies" by Kevin Murphy (excellent book by the voice of Tom Servo, and it's even poignant at times!)

"archy and mehitabel" by Don Marquis (Collection of free-form poems from the point of view of a free-form poet reincarnated as a cockroach; cool, offbeat satire from the 20s)

Also, I've been reading the Book of the Subgenius and Roger Corman's autobiography on and off for the past couple of years. Next up, I'd like to read some of the great hipster novels (On the Road, Naked Lunch, Fear & Loathing, etc.), Fight Club, and Armageddon: The Musical (a bizarre-looking book I found used a while ago and still haven't read).

-Vermin Boy

My site: The Vermin Cave
My band: The Demons of Stupidity
?????: ?????
Paquita

« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2003, 09:19:57 PM »

Wait! i think i need an explanation! Is "If Chins Could Kill" about getting fat?! Cos thats what I think it is! Butt I dunno I'm probably wrong!

Love,
Colleen

Deena
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2003, 09:48:49 PM »

I am currently reading (very sparingly I might add) Desolation Angels by Kerouac.  Vermin Boy, on the road is prolly the best book of his to start with but angels is the best thus far (haven't read all his work or finished this one yet).  As of next week I'll prolly be reading some boring social work texts required for my classes.  They have a funny way of naming something that you do in everyday life and pointing out the very obvious (ie respect the families you are working with--no s**t, as a social worker I have to respect ppl?!)  Can't wait to graduate.

Deena

Politics is showbusiness for ugly people
Vermin Boy
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2003, 10:22:56 PM »

Yeah, of the books I listed, I'll probably read that one next, as I'm pretty sure there's one floating around my house. If you haven't heard it, I recommend Rhino's Beat Generation 3-disc set. Great tracks by Kerouac, Ginsburg, Burroughs, etc., plus some cool miscellaneous stuff, like a 50s news piece on Greenwich Village and the Christopher Colombus scene from High School Confidential.

-Vermin Boy

My site: The Vermin Cave
My band: The Demons of Stupidity
?????: ?????
Evan3
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2003, 11:50:20 PM »

I am reading A Tale of Two Cities (yes, or fun!)

However I made my girlfriend read Carrie and  the Dead Zone. Next up, I gave her On the Beach, Cujo, The Old Man and the Sea and Rosemary's Baby
Brother Ragnarok
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2003, 01:30:49 AM »

I just finished an issue of Doctor Who Magazine, and am about to embark on the Silmarillion.  Lookin' forward to it.

Brother R
Pete B6K
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2003, 07:06:18 AM »

Colleen, 'If Chins Could Kill - Confessions of a B-Movie Actor' (to give it its full title) is the autobiography of Bruce Campbell , star of the Evil Dead trilogy and various other things.  I think even non-Ccampbell/evil dead fans should really enjoy the book.

Pete
Tyler
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2003, 09:50:38 AM »

I'm reading "A Year At the Movies" by Kevin Murphy and "The Gore" by Joseph Citro.  Suprisingly, Citro writes excellently for being such an unknown author.
Neville

« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2003, 10:56:10 AM »

I am reading a spanish novel called "Aventis", by Juan Marse. It goes about the early years after the civil war. A group of pre-teen boys spend their time trying to survive and inventing stories (they call them "aventis") in which they include their own versions of real-life rumours and situations. It is quite good, but incredibly difficult to follow. Characters and POV are mixed, and narration is stream-of-conciousness-like. I don't know if I'll finish it.

Due to the horrifying nature of this film, no one will be admitted to the theatre.
Conrad
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2003, 11:33:40 AM »

Aha, Dickens - surprisingly enjoyable, I have found!

My reading list currently includes:  

1) The Day of the Triffids,
2)  Barbarians at the Gate,
3)  The Sands of Valour
4)  Just Tell Me When to Cry
5)  The English Civil Wars
6)  Jane's All the World's Fighting Ships 1914
7)  Beyond the Front Line
8)  various early copies of 2000AD
9)  Give War A Chance
Pages: [1] 2
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  What are you reading? « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.