Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 03:56:22 PM
714346 Posts in 53094 Topics by 7741 Members
Latest Member: SashaHilly
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  What are you reading? « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: What are you reading?  (Read 5188 times)
Chadzilla
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2003, 12:58:22 PM »

The Official Godzilla Companion by J.D. Lees and Marc Cerasini.

and

The Reckoning by James Byron Huggins - a Men's Action novel (think David Morrell) so dripping with macho testosterone that, if I don't finish it soon, will have me shaving two or three times a day.

Next on the reading deck...

A Winter's Haunting by Dan Simmons
The Evil Dead Companion by Bill Warren
The Dark Tower IV: Wizard and Glass by Stephen King (this will be my second attempt at reading the book, I couldn't finish it the first time)

Chadzilla
Gosh, remember when the Internet was supposed to be a wonderful magical place where intelligent, articulate people shared information? Neighborhood went to hell real fast... - Anarquistador
Cool Tester
« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2003, 01:15:06 PM »

"If Chins Could Kill."  When I first read that it conjured up strange images, all in black and white strangely enough (AAAAH!  The Chin!  We must flee!).

I just finished reading "On Basilisk Station" by David Weber.  This is the first book in the Honor Harrington series.  This series has been described as Horatio Hornblower in outer space.  I know little about Hornblower, so I can't say if this is true or not.  It's a good book if you like military SF.

Currently I am reading "The Ophiuchi Hotline" by John Varley (science fiction).  This is Varley's first novel.  Good stuff.  I'm a huge John Varley.  Unfortunately, he's not a prolific writer (he wrote "Steel Beach" in 1989, and then his next one was "Golden Globe" in 1997).  His short stories are the best.  If you can find his collection "Blue Champagne" anywere, get it.  That's some of his best work.  The Gaean Trilogy is good as well (Titan, Wizard, and Demon are the titles).

Next I'm going to read either "Requiem for the Sun" by Elizabeht Haydon (book four in the Rhapsody series) or "Honor for the Queen" (book two in the Honor Harrington series).
raj
« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2003, 05:26:41 PM »

Silmarillion is great, though the first hundred pages can be a bit slow (sort of Old Testament like).  For the movies, I reread it, then The Hobbit, Fellowship of the Rings, and am currently rereading the Two Towers.  I'm also reading "Nothingness"  about the physics of empty space. (just don't ask me about the math involved)

Brother Ragnarok wrote:
>
> I just finished an issue of Doctor Who Magazine, and am about
> to embark on the Silmarillion.  Lookin' forward to it.
>
> Brother R
Funk, E.
« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2003, 06:10:57 PM »

Err... Tomas Aquinas Selected Writings, Esential Augustine, Philosophy on Mind, Elements of Mind... Guess who's studing Philosophy in college! 8-D
Garfunkel75
New Visitor

« Reply #19 on: January 15, 2003, 08:29:26 AM »

I'm in the Middle of "Stupid White Men" by Michael Moore. Very interesting, especially from an "outsider's" perspective (I'm British).
Drezzy
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #20 on: January 15, 2003, 05:30:18 PM »

Bret Easton Ellis' novel Glamorama

And as the world began crumbling down
Nobody around seemed to care
Bonehead XL
« Reply #21 on: January 15, 2003, 05:51:09 PM »

"The Day After" by David Machintyre, Sean Catlett, and Stephen Zacharus. A great read, highly recomended.
Brock
« Reply #22 on: January 15, 2003, 09:20:26 PM »

I recently have read "The Hours", "Virgin Suicides", "Confederacy of Dunces", "Confessions of a Dangerous Mind", and "The Crucible".  Next up is "Wicked: the life and times of the wicked witch of the west", "High wind in Jamaica", and "A Void" by Georges Perec, a mystery novel that manages to never use the letter "e".
Pancho
« Reply #23 on: January 15, 2003, 09:57:37 PM »

I'm finishing off the Necroscope series right now and that's to be followed by a reread of Heavier Than Heaven, a great Cobain biography, and after that I need to read something by Lovecraft.  It's been too long.
Susan
« Reply #24 on: January 15, 2003, 10:59:59 PM »

the "letters from a nut" series.

highly recommended for those with a warped sense of humor. Absolutely true stories of one mans dedication of writing the most ludicrous letters to companies in order to see how they would respond

JohnL
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #25 on: January 16, 2003, 05:52:27 AM »

>highly recommended for those with a warped sense of humor. Absolutely true
>stories of one mans dedication of writing the most ludicrous letters to companies
>in order to see how they would respond

This reminds me of a web site I found once where they had a section containing letters they'd written to different places and the responses they received. The longest series of exchanges was when they wrote to a hotel chain and told them that they felt a little uncomfortable with the hotel's new policy of having the restroom attendant hold their penis while they stood at the urinal. :)
Susan
« Reply #26 on: January 16, 2003, 08:17:05 PM »

>>This reminds me of a web site I found once where they had a section containing letters they'd written to different places and the responses they received. The longest series of exchanges was when they wrote to a hotel chain and told them that they felt a little uncomfortable with the hotel's new policy of having the restroom attendant hold their penis while they stood at the urinal. :)<<<

LOL! Well this guy has questions from the absurd (like asking a hotel chain if he can bring his ant farm along which he lets out of the box but they are trained) to interesting questions that could happen (like asking a cruise liner company if they could accomodate him as he has a bad case of terrets syndrome..where he also writes spurts of profanity throughout the letter) heh
Somehow, stuff like that amuses me

Pages: 1 [2]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  What are you reading? « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.