Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 05:38:16 PM
714241 Posts in 53092 Topics by 7736 Members
Latest Member: ShayneGree
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  2000 One Of The Worst Years For Movies? I Think So! « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: 2000 One Of The Worst Years For Movies? I Think So!  (Read 6867 times)
Stupid Jacob
« on: February 24, 2001, 10:55:03 PM »

Who agrees with me?
2000 gave us everything from Battlefield Earth to Nutty Professer 2. It was a long and painful year. Yes, there some good films (Gladiator). But they were few and far between.
Here's what I think were the worst  of the worst (that I've seen).
-Scream 3: I hate these crappy teen films. Badly. This is one of the worst.
-Nutty Professer 2: Ouch. This is hurting.
-Scary Movie: The Wayans Brothers must die.
-Rocky And Bullwinkle: I was expecting some good. Boy, was I wrong.
-The Cell: Tee-hee. Picture an Ed Wood movie with a butt load of special effects.

That's all I got now. I would like to see your lists to.
Stupid Jacob
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2001, 10:58:37 PM »

Oh yeah. I rented Blair Witch 2 tonight, so I'll probaly be adding another movie to the list.
Mofo Rising
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2001, 11:12:36 PM »

Well I haven't seen ROCKY & BULLWINKLE or NUTTY PROFESSOR II, so I won't talk about those.

SCREAM 3 was harmless fluff.  I don't have an abiding hatred for teen slasher flicks, so it wasn't that bad to me.

SCARY MOVIE is alright if you watch it with a bunch of drunk people.  (Note: You must also be drunk.)  Otherwise it's just boring and infantile.  But I'm for anything that makes people laugh, so it's off my worst list.

THE CELL was alright.  But kind of boring and ultimately meaningless.

I think the worst thing about 2000 is that it was so unmemorable.  I watched quite a few movies, but I don't remember what most of them were.  What even came out last year?

GET CARTER was pretty bad.  Here's the gist of it: Nothing happens.  Not a damn thing.  For almost two hours.

That's it.  That's all I remember.  Damn you, 2000!  Damn you straight to hell!

-Mofo Rising liked X-MEN
BadTaste_nz
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2001, 11:42:26 PM »

i thought that Scream 3 was a real let down, i agree.  It seemed that it had gone from a cool suspense/actiion-horror to a comedy.
A real let down yeah.

ONe of my worst films i had watched that year was definitely Nutty professer 2.
Andrew
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2001, 12:44:16 AM »

I really didn't have much fun going to the theater (beyond seeing Godzilla on the screen), but it was a bumper crop of b-movies for home video!  Heck, 2001 is looking even better.

Andrew
Scott
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2001, 09:02:35 AM »

An Ed Wood movie with special effects? That would ruin the point of watching a classic like an Ed Wood movie.

2000 also had its good films like:

Godzilla 2000
Red Planet
Mission to Mars
Pitch Black
Super Nova
Gladiator
The Patriot
Cecil B.Demented

The worst film of all time was made in 2000. Battlefield Earth is one of the most boring films of all time.
Boz824
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2001, 12:15:12 PM »

I couldn't even sit through "Gladiator" and "Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon" was nothing special, either. I don't know why people are so excited about CTHD. The plot is slow and the flying/fighting scenes are outlandish and add little to the movie. I read a review on the imdb that said this was one of the most captivating movies ever made, though I hardly see anything captivating in a plot as stretched out and hackneyed as that one. 2000 has been a year of incessant mediocrity in American theaters.
Chris K.
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2001, 12:42:34 PM »

Well we all know that SCARY MOVIE was the worst of the worst and you could NOT watch it while you are drunk, but I feel SCREAM 3 was worse than SCARY MOVIE.

The Waynes brothers really tried hard, but they should go back to TV before some Hollywood producer tells them "You will never work in this town again". But it's too late for that because SCARY MOVIE 2 is in production right now! So when it comes out, be sure to yell out "This film sucks" when it is over.

As for the SCREAM films, it makes me wonder what is going on in Wes Craven's head. I mean Jesus, SCREAM and it's sequels are okay but they are not THAT good. Craven needs to find more decent horror ideas.
Abby
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2001, 12:54:35 PM »

I still maintain that Battlefield Earth was no worse than Waterworld, Johnny Mnemonic, or even Titanic. I felt cheated and betrayed by all of the Ed Wood hype. B.E. was mediocre but for Travolta's career-killing performance. And Travolta has been in at least one additional flop since BE ... some lighthearted comedy about gambling.

Scream 3 was treacherously marginal (more so than even Scream 2), but it never hit BAD proportions for me. Blair Witch 2 was pretty bad ... I'd say worse than B.E. and Scream 3 combined. Still, it didn't go for broke in respect to crappiness and I kinda wish it had.

Hellraiser 5: Inferno ... that earns my 2000 vote.
Abby
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2001, 01:03:34 PM »

As for Wes Craven, I always hold out hope for the man. He goes through dry spells at the end of every decade. While I respect and understand the value of the original Scream, I prefer to think that his greatest film contribution of the 90's was The People Under The Stairs. That was just a fascinating and effective movie which I think will hold up much better than his self-aware entires given some time.
Scott
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2001, 01:17:38 PM »

THE PEOPLE UNDER THE STAIRS was a good movie. It kinda reminded me of MOTEL HELL. Had some funny moments.
G.
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2001, 05:37:04 PM »

What Lies Beneath goes on my list for worst of the year. Slow, stupid, and above all unsympathetic.

G.
BoyScoutKevin
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2001, 09:47:59 PM »

I think so, too. And 1999 was such a good year for films. As a good year for films seems to come around once every ten years, it looks like we have to wait for another eight years for another good film year. But, remember. A bad year for films like 2000 is a good year for sites like www.badmovies.org. Enjoy
Chris K.
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2001, 05:48:56 PM »

Personally, I don't hate Wes Craven that much. His films are VERY OVERRATED and totally overdone, but he has a certain charm that makes the audience either hate or love his work. Craven comes up with some good ideas. But when the idea is shown on film, that is when the @!#$ hits the fan and believe me that is not good for the audience either. An example would be SCREAM. So the first SCREAM film was good and had some exciting twists, but contained very little gore and that was dissapointing. But, Craven starts cranking out SCREAM 2 and SCREAM 3. And that is when I see some brown stuff getting sliced in the fan and starts splatting everywhere. The sequels become both confusing and bogus. Containing everything from insane mothers who want revenge to nutty half-brothers who are murderous in these two sequels, this shows the stupidity and uninteligent point of view in a "sequel". Oh sure it is artistic and I can releate to that, but sometimes art is garbage and that is why I consider the two sequels to the SCREAM trillogy to be garbage. As for the first film, well I liked it only once. But when the hype started to crawl out of the woodwork, I just said "God, their are better horror films out their besides SCREAM". And believe me their are better ones.

As for Craven, he proves to be good director but he needs to put more effort into his riddiculous ideas and to be more creative. He is not the next Herschell Gordon Lewis. Craven is still a good director but a bad visionary.
bob
I survived Bucky Larson
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Torgo watches you masterbate!

« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2011, 09:28:47 AM »

There were some good things that came out that year in Finding Forrester, Gone in 60 Seconds, and Scary Movie. But looking at this list of films that came out 11 years ago http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2000_in_film man, there was bsically nothing worth seeing.

Kubrick, Nolan, Tarantino, Wan, Iñárritu, Scorsese, Chaplin, Abrams, Wes Anderson, Gilliam, Kurosawa - the elite

I believe in the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  2000 One Of The Worst Years For Movies? I Think So! « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.