Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 18, 2024, 11:39:21 PM
712920 Posts in 53040 Topics by 7722 Members
Latest Member: GenevaBarr
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Your Dream Job..... « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: Your Dream Job.....  (Read 9216 times)
Fearless Freep
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2003, 01:38:06 PM »

Be a bassist like Lemmy, get hot groupie chicks, amass millions of fans and die-hard followers worldwide. That way, when you DO go to jail (for aggrivated assault, no less), you have fans in the penn to protect and befriend you.

Unless the fans in the penn are also your groupies....

=======================
Going places unmapped, to do things unplanned, to people unsuspecting
Scott
« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2003, 01:55:09 PM »

Its my understanding that to run a successfull Drive-In you have to run it like a restraunt, because you will not make a dime off the movie end of the business. Not because people won't show up, but because the studios get all the money. This makes the concessions the most important part of your business. If don'e right then you will have a successful Drive-In. Good product and service then you can show just about anything.

Pancho and Ragnarok you crack me up.
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2003, 02:52:19 PM »

Very true. The cafeteria-style concession is one of my favourite things about the drive-in. Who needs popcorn when you can load up a paper tray full of burgers, corn dogs, onion rings, fries and other delights? I used to skip dinner before going. The stuff was overpriced, but it hit the spot, and seemed to taste so much better being eaten outdoors on a summer night.

I do think drive-ins could make a comeback if they are done right, especially with the resurgence of big, comfortable family cars. Minivans and SUVs are made for the drive-in. parents are also nostalgic, teens are looking for someplace dark and private to drink and/or make out, and the double features and long-weekend all-nighters are a great value when movies are so expensive.

The nearest drive-in to me is almost an hour away, so I don't go as often as I used to, but anytime I've gone, the place was busy, especially on long weekends. It's a well-run place that keeps up to date. The radio sound beats the hell out of the old speakers in every respect. My only complaint is that they close the concession a few minutes into the second movie, even when they're going all night.

I think the most important consideration in opening a drive-in is to make it convenient to a city, but far enough out in the boonies to be safe from urban expansion. The thing that killed most of the drive-ins around here is that the land suddenly became very valuable. I suppose that's only a bad thing for the customers, since the owner gets offered a potfull of cash by real estate developers.

Oh, and as for my dream job, I'm not really sure if there is one particular thing. If we ever got the elusive combination of a comfortable nest egg and lots of free time, my wife and I have talked about buying a place in the country and opening a kennel. We'd spend our time breeding, training and showing dogs. The drawback is that there are a lot of expenses and relatively little income.

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
Anonymous User
« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2003, 04:15:59 PM »

My dream job is to rip off old people and retards. Make them think I'm really on their side....tell them that I work for the church....and then take all the money they give me and buy booze and hookers. And if I have any money left over I might buy the hooker that I pick up a drink too.

Pancho
« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2003, 06:59:27 PM »

Afterwards of course I'll find religion, clean up my act and run for senator.  Or become incoherent and get a reality sit-com on MTV.
Neon Noodle
« Reply #20 on: January 20, 2003, 08:21:57 PM »

Dream job....(i.e. one that has a better chance of coming true in my unconscious).....that would probably be the combination of the pizza parlor and a movie store. While you have 7 (count them, seven) toppings sizzling away in the oven, you get to choose films in the adjoining store so you can go home with entertainment and hot food in one fell swoop! I'm sure there's a market for that.
Scott
« Reply #21 on: January 20, 2003, 08:47:19 PM »

Sounds like a winner Noodle.
Ash

23 Year Badmovies.org Veteran

« Reply #22 on: January 20, 2003, 09:11:13 PM »

Judging by a few of your comments, ahem, (Scott & Andy Campbell), I take it you clicked on the link I provided.

I read through the whole thing the other day.  

It's pretty good!

I definetely learned a lot.  My preconceived notions on the proper way to run a drive-in were shattered by that website.
Paquita

« Reply #23 on: January 20, 2003, 10:03:04 PM »

MY dream job is to be a Cartoon!!! Okay since thats never gonna happen I'd at least like to be the voice for one! Sos if anyones gonna make cartoons! I'm your voice!!

Second in line is a grave digger but thats just to meet hot old grave diggers and get in their pants, I'm probably not strong enough to actually dig a whole grave.

Third!!! Alright! Food may be important in opening a drive in buTT whats more important in the drive-in business is ME in a bikini on rollerskates!

love colleen
JohnL

« Reply #24 on: January 20, 2003, 11:54:15 PM »

>Food may be important in opening a drive in buTT whats more important in the
>drive-in business is ME in a bikini on rollerskates!

Possibly. Post a picture of yourself in a bikini on rollerskates and I'm sure the people here will let you know. :)
AndyC
« Reply #25 on: January 21, 2003, 12:25:52 AM »

Actually, I hadn't noticed your link. I've been saying that stuff for years. Spent a lot of time at the local drive-in, way back when. I know what I liked about it, and I know what killed it. I get a little sad every time I drive past  the housing development that took its place. I saw a lot of movies there, from childhood, with the family, to adulthood with friends. At least I still have one drive-in within reach, even if it is a fairly long drive there, and more importantly, a long drive home.
Brother Ragnarok
« Reply #26 on: January 21, 2003, 12:31:12 AM »

I've also wanted to have a cult, horror, and b-movie video store, sort of like Dan Akroyd's bookstore in Ghostbusters 2 but with movies.  It would likely have to be in a bigger city to work, but I think if it was done right it could be very succesfull.

Brother R
Ash

23 Year Badmovies.org Veteran

« Reply #27 on: January 21, 2003, 09:16:30 AM »

Yeah......to have a store like that and be successful you'll need a HUGE CITY FULL OF WEIRDOS!!

That probably won't be found here in Iowa where I or Brother Ragnarok live.

Well, maybe if I went to the "Adult Shop"  & started recruiting.

No thanks!

I'll have better luck in N.Y.C. & I don't see myself going there anyime soon!

LOL!!

AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #28 on: January 21, 2003, 12:25:24 PM »

There is a store very similar to that where I live. It bills itself as an 'alternative' video store. It's full of indie films, classics, foreign films, genre films, b-movies, documentaries, anime and so forth, along with some current mainstream titles. They really go out of their way to have whatever anyone might want. The store does pretty well too. It's really a testament to what a video store can be, if owned by people who love movies.

As for the size of the city, Waterloo, Ontario has fewer than 100,000 people, but the entire region (the tri-cities and surrounding townships) has a population of about half a million. I think the majority of the customers are fairly local though, although when I lived outside the city, I drove in regularly.

Of course, Waterloo also has two universities, a thriving arts community and lots of high-tech industry. I'd say our population of geeks and assorted non-conformists is above average. The city council is also committed to maintaining a vibrant downtown core, which helps a lot of independent businesses.

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
Funk, E.
« Reply #29 on: January 21, 2003, 04:48:27 PM »

Dream and job are two words that rarely go together in my mind accept when I don't have a job. I'm going for having my own cooking show on the Food Network. I'm in the process of getting one on the local cable access channel. I figure I'll do that for a couple of years until I get enough experience and contacts to pitch to the big boys.
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Your Dream Job..... « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.