Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 02:11:03 AM
713384 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  CGI Movies « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: CGI Movies  (Read 11032 times)
Scott
« on: May 26, 2001, 07:54:03 AM »

Maybe in about 10 years or sooner they will master this computer graphic images in the movies, but it will render the past 5 or more years of film making into the waste basket of movie history. Computer graphic movies are the worst. I'm so turned off by them. Example the RETURN OF THE MUMMY.
mark
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2001, 12:18:29 PM »

meesa tinks...(sorry)...that i totally agree...

i still can't help but think how much better The Frighteners would be if Peter Jackson had ditched that cgi phantom nonsense and used some good old dead alive puppetry. that phantom had no character. it looked like a spawn reject.

good old stop-motion, etc. seems to hold up. you know it's fake...it looks goofy at times...but for some reason it's easier to believe it than hyper-shiny digital effects. maybe it's because the old stuff was "really there" to an extent. people molding rubber and rigging motors. blood sweat and tears i guess...
Creeps
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2001, 07:23:38 PM »

Spot on.  There are a few exceptions, but, for the most part, I hate to see cgi in films.  It just looks hideous...like it doesn't belong at all.  Like with the new Pearl Harbor movie...cgi planes and cgi bombs dropping in the previews...just looks bad.
peter johnson
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2001, 12:01:31 AM »

It'll get there, but I totally agree -- sadly -- with Scott and with y'all.  It's getting there, but it ain't there yet.
Look at old Hammer:  The Reptile.  The girl turns into a were-cobra.  Cheesy mask and buggy-eyes with over-long fangs on a real actor.  Know what?  It's SCARY and EFFECTIVE AS HELL!!  We tend to laugh at the "guy in a rubber suit" monster flicks, but they didn't all suck -- there really is something about a trained actor trying to look menacing in crappy makeup that is ever so more convincing than a digital readout (Paging Mr. Lee . . . Christopher Lee . . .paging Mr. Lee . . .)
Squishy
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2001, 04:37:58 AM »

When they're good, they're very, very good--but often (more and more often, it seems) they're just as bad as any other special-effect technique can be, in the hands of an unskilled dink. Just because you CAN do it CGI, doesn't mean you should...
Fritz
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2001, 01:39:51 PM »

For the best example of CGI at it's worst, check out Mortal Kombat 2.
alisa
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2001, 01:05:50 AM »

I loved the first two Alien movies, but then they had to come out with 3 and 4 containing nothing but CGI aliens....bahh!
mark
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2001, 09:50:02 PM »

begin rambling:

i caught the end of Blade on tv this weekend. i like that movie...it has some
cool things going on there...good story (holding off vampirism with garlic injections) and some cool action scenes...
but man do those effects look bad. but since there's some decent acting for the genre (steven dorff's (?) villian holds up), the movie still works for me.

but something like spawn...i'd rather watch someone play quake.

on the flip side...i rewatched Fearless Vampire Killers recently. with it's almost zero effects...the mood is so good. can you imagine if it was made now though?

...hopefully it wouldn't be as bad as the Haunting remake...owen wilson carried that pile of crap.

Evolution looks kind of interesting...
Flangepart
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2001, 11:35:02 AM »

EVOLUTION looks to be a funny flick. I have hopes for it. As for CGI, the story is essencial, i think. Mark diden't dig the effects in Blade, but they worked for me. Maby it just got through my disbelief factor. BTW, when Dorff's chief baddie blew up, am i the only one who thought,AKIRA?
Gerry
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2001, 02:50:06 PM »

I think the problem with CGI right now is that no one has truly mastered the art.  With stop-motion we had Ray Harryhausen, a man who truly knew how to breathe life into his creations.  When they moved, you really believed they were alive.  And he knew how to direct actors to interact with the invisible.  Just watch the fight scene between the cavemen and the Allosaur in ONE MILLION YEARS B.C. and you will know exactly what I'm talking about.  And he is not alone, there were a number of masters of the "old style" special effects.  That's what CGI hasn't achieved yet.  You basically have a bunch of computer geeks out there now who can program CGI, but no one has stepped out of the crowd as a true master of the medium, who truly knows how to bring it to life.  He/she will appear, it is inevitable.  Then we will see the true potential of CGI in movies.  I just hope we don't have to wait too long.
mark
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2001, 10:56:04 PM »

flangepart:

as i was watching blade this last time on tv i totally shouted it...

...Ahhh-Keeee-Rahhhhhh!

(on the way home i stopped at suncoast...akira figures were on
sale...but no motorcycles...damn).

i did find some cool looking PEZ dispensers out now...
they look like godzilla-type monsters. a bee. a mosquito thing.
etc.
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  CGI Movies « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.