Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 01:35:11 AM
714230 Posts in 53092 Topics by 7734 Members
Latest Member: BlackVuemmo
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Twister « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Twister  (Read 2567 times)
Tygge Withlin
Dedicated Viewer

« on: January 21, 2003, 02:13:13 AM »

Just curious if anyone was actually strong enough to watch the entire movie?  I made it about 30 minutes.   A man can only take so many sub-plots, before his spirit breaks (or the TV screen).
Ash
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

23 Year Badmovies.org Veteran

« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2003, 02:25:46 AM »

What!!??  

Twister is great!

I saw it in the theater.

I agree that the plot is preposterous but oh well.

It's just good fun!

Squishy
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2003, 05:19:10 AM »

Bill Paxton's character ditches Jami Gertz' sane professional in favor of Helen Hunt's annoyingly shrill, sabotage-happy idiot-twit character;  that's the most unbelievable part. Hunt's "schtick" (do something nonsensical/selfish/hurtful/stupid/endangering, look around at everyone saying "...what?," then repeat)--boring enough on "Mad About You"--becomes maddening here. Were I Paxton, I would have conked her on the head the moment the tornado made it clear that it was actively pursuing us (snicker) and let it finish her off.

The good news: guess who didn't one lick of real work in 2002 and doesn't have anything coming up on the IMDB? (Re-issuing "Trancers" under a new title doesn't count.)

Still, "Twister" has enough special effects stupidity going for it to make it less boring than "Tornado Warning" or "Atomic Twizzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz...(clunk)
Ash
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

23 Year Badmovies.org Veteran

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2003, 09:50:11 AM »

Paxton's character went for the better looking woman (in my opinion) who happened to be a science/weather whiz!

He followed his d**k!!

You dug a little too deep Squishy.

The answer was so much simpler!!

(and it took 1/2 the time to type!)

LOL!!!

Dr. X, Yyz, Sr.
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2003, 12:43:44 PM »

Great????
My dear Ash,
the only thing "great" about this flick is that I have yet to sit through the entire thing.
The last time I tried, I broke out in hives and contracted a BMTD (bad movie transmitted disease), Yes folks, I caught "Brain Rot". It actually burned when I tried to think for about 3 hours.
And by the way, the special effects SUCKED. Cows?? Spinning trucks???? Hanging on for dear life (with a girl latching on to you) by a leather belt as the "special" tornado miraculously flies overhead without harming you OR the irritating girl.
Nay ash!!! this flick does not "rock"
I'd rather drink the bile drained from the Pope's belly
Funk, E.
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2003, 05:01:14 PM »

I don't think I made it all the way through that one. When they decided to say by the cellar door and try to hold it shut against the tornado I desided they all deserved to die.
Squishy
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2003, 05:07:50 PM »

"The answer was so much simpler!! (and it took 1/2 the time to type!) LOL!!!"

...I was unaware I was (a) asking a question, or (b) participating in some sort of typing contest. How long did this take to type? ROFL PVP OMG B2K EMSYLP!!!
raj
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2003, 05:46:02 PM »

Since I saw it in the theater, I sat through the whole thing.  The flying cow was the best thing in it.
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2003, 05:57:31 PM »

Every time I watched this, I noted the p**s-poor job the guy did in constructing the door to his storm cellar.

Another notable thing is that the family, a few feet further down in the cellar, seem to be in no danger, even after the door is ripped off.

The guy's demise was truly evolution in action.

I was also a little surprised that a tornado could run right over Bill and Helen and not strip the flesh right off them, embed objects in them, or at the very least rip their clothes off. That would have been a nice way to end it, with them running into the corn to hide from the farmer, who has just emerged from the cellar to find a bunch of people laughing and cheering in the middle of his wrecked farm.

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
Funk, E.
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2003, 06:03:46 PM »

Well the reality is the family deeper in the cellar would have actually been safe in an actual tornado. That's the only thing about the movie that was accurate. That's what made the "battle to keep the cellar door shut" so f**king stupid.
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2003, 06:14:58 PM »

Something else I forgot to mention was the strange power that Bill and Helen had that caused tornadoes to dissipate on contact with them. The first tornado follows them down a ditch, then dissipates when it reaches them. Then, a pair of tornadoes dissipate seconds after coming in contact with their truck. In the end, an F-5 tornado, after going for miles and doing untold damage, dissipates after it runs them over. Then the sun comes out.

This did not happen to the tornado they escaped in a slowly reversing pickup truck, the one that missed them at the drive-in or the one that hit aunt Meg's place.

Forget Dorothy. They need to study this mysterious power of theirs.

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
Funk, E.
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2003, 06:20:12 PM »

Characters with no intelligence combined with vacuous plots creates a unique inversion field that neutralizes any atmospheric vortex on contact.
Chadzilla
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2003, 06:30:04 PM »

"WE GOT COWS!"

This movie was The Swarm of the 90s, just not as intoxicatingly stupid.  According to the Unauthorized Biography of the Big-G, Paxton and Hunt had signed on to sat in Jan De Bont aborted Godzilla movie, when he jumped from The G-Project over to Twister, they went with him.  Good move, as they will be making royalty checks from this dreck for years and years to come.

Chadzilla
Gosh, remember when the Internet was supposed to be a wonderful magical place where intelligent, articulate people shared information? Neighborhood went to hell real fast... - Anarquistador
Tygge Withlin
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2003, 06:43:24 PM »

more like a lot of flying bull.  :)
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Twister « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.