Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 04:40:40 AM
713389 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Series with NO ending « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Series with NO ending  (Read 5780 times)
Warren H.
« on: May 26, 2001, 10:18:08 PM »

Since the subject of series with downer endings was brought up, let's talk about series that have NO endings.  You know, those series that get cancelled before a final episode can be made or are left completely unresolved for whatever reason.  My big three:

Jayce & The Wheeled Warriors - Best adventure cartoon ever made.  Jayce searches for his father, to unite their halves of a root which will destroy the evil Monster Minds, led by Saw Boss.   JAYCE NEVER FOUND HIS FATHER!  IT JUST ENDED ALL OF A SUDDEN!  ARRRRRRRRRRRGH!

Dr. Who - Come on, SOMEBODY must have the desire and the means to fund the last few Doctors' adventures.

Big O - All the plot points were heading toward resolution but, oh well.  What?  They could't hack together even ONE more episode to tie up at least some of the loose threads?
Vermin Boy
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2001, 10:51:47 PM »

Lost in Space. They never got back to Earth, they were just left to drift around space, meeting more goofy aliens, and probably eventually resorting to cannibalism. Maybe witnessing his family being eaten by a fey British scientist is what warped Will into forming Barnes & Barnes and singing Fish Heads.
peter johnson
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2001, 11:50:12 PM »

Hey vermin boy -- I used to hang out here quite a bit but have been in seclusion working on a brand new failed-before-it-even-aired series for PBS (Fishwars -- sort of Red Green on water meets Home Improvement -- probably not derivative enough for them . .. ) and my damn grunt job that I must do to live, but now I'm sort of back & cruising about & find you mentioning now 2 of my very very favorite things on Earth:  The Firesign Theatre and Barnes and Barnes.  Damn!!  It makes me happy just reading the names!!  
In case you miss another posting here on some of the older stuff, as is so often the case here it being a popular site, I say to everyone, watch for the coming CD from Rhino Records called "Bride of Firesign", which the boys are throwing together in honor of Phil Austin's 60th birthday.  I worked with Phil Proctor on ROBOchic -- see Andrew's wonderful scorching  single-skull review on this site -- and all 4 of them on Lodestone/OtherWorld Media's Wizard of Oz CD.  They are just too good for words.  I envy those of you who own J-Men Forever and Hot Shorts as they are not for sale/not available on the regular market.  Go to Lodestone on the web for other videos that ARE available from them:  Everything You Know is Wrong (5 slimes!!), Nick Danger and the Case of the Missing Yolk(5 slimes!!)  and Martian Space Party (oops -- only 2 slimes.  Not recommended if not already a fan).
Anyway, I'm working in Longmont and Loveland Colorado this summer on A Taste of Shakespeare -- sort of an in-the-park deal -- so I may not get back here as often as I like -- I'm sure I've missed plenty --
So it goes --
Vermin Boy
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2001, 12:45:38 AM »

Wow... Fireheads I expected, but a B&B fan is rare! Shame more of their stuff isn't available, but Voobaha and Yeah are among my most-listened-to albums. Nice to see they haven't lost their gross-out edge; "Say Hello," recorded last year, would make John Waters proud.

As for Firesign, how is "Missing Yolk?" I got it for Christmas last year, but for some reason still haven't watched it. I liked Martian Space Party, but that might just be because it answered my prayers for an easier-on-the-ears version of Not Insane. Oh yeah, and check eBay for Hot Shorts-- copies show up now and then comperatively cheap. Good luck finding J-Men, though; the copies that do show up go for up to $80.
Abby
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2001, 01:11:05 AM »

V: The Series.

The last episode offered a little closure, but had this thing where Elizabeth (the half alien child-babe) left for the alien's home planet to become some kind of messiah. Her hunky boyfriend jumped onboard at the last minute to save her -- then  came a 'To Be Continued' that never materialized.

There's a really fun old episode of 'Tales From The Darkside' that I love ... it's about an alien civilization that receives television broadcasts from twenty years ago. They fall in love with an American hardboiled spy show that was cancelled in the 60's without a final episode. They send a bunch of producers to earth to recruit the now has-been actors to film a final season. I thought the writers of Galaxy Quest were highly-inspired by this episode.

I adore Tales From The Darkside -- no closure problems on THAT show :)
peter johnson
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2001, 01:13:27 AM »

Shoot, I may have to ask Phil to dupe me one, though I hesitate as he's given me so much loot over the years re. things Firesign.(J-men, I mean).  He may not have it himself, though.  Believe it or not, I had to give him one of my copies of Roller Maidens From Outer Space, as he didn't own a copy!! I @!#$ you not at all!!!
"Missing Yolk"  is fantasticly great.  It's only flaw is that it has no David Ossman, as he and the other 3 were having a bit of the ol' "creative differences" back when it was made --  get off the damn computer, go to your room, and put it on RIGHT NOW!! -- no, I mean it, it really is very very good -- especially the primitive video/Betacam effects for 1983, when it was shot.  David Ossman is now very much back with the group & they are making better stuff than ever:  Check out, if you have not, Give Me Immortality or Give Me Death(1999) and Boom.Dot.Bust(2000), both on Rhino.  Also, David and his wife Judith were the creative force behind the Wizard of Oz CD on Lodestone -- hell, I got to work with John Goodman, Phyllis Diller(!), Mark Hamil, & Rob(Pinky) Paulson and Maurice(&The Brain)LaMache, as well as Michelle(Buffy the Vampire Slayer)Trachtenberg, just to drop a few names.  Everyone very very cool & nice.
Barnes & Barnes -- gawd, how come they don't get the recognition of a Weird Al, not to take anything away from him?  The boys be wonderful -- I'll bet any number of fishheads that there are more B&B fans here than you know, only the folk here tend to want to focus on movies -- which is fine by me!
peter johnson
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2001, 01:18:12 AM »

Dear abby Dear Abby --
Ever see the "new" Twilight Zone episode where the aliens come back to get Milton Berle?  Same joke re. the TV broadcasts in space:  They're all Uncle Miltie fans!!
Also, the Carl Sagan Contact movie -- which I liked better than most people -- had the alien contact come about because of Nazi TV broadcasts of the 1936 Olympics (It is a historic fact that the Germans did do this for a limited number of subscribers).
Abby
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2001, 01:29:32 AM »

My God -- how could I forget --  EVERY KROFT SERIES HAD NO ENDING!!!!!

HR Puff 'N Stuff, Land of the Lost, LIDSVILLE --- each revolved around somebody who was lost in an often-horrifying world -- trying desperately to get home. And each person was presumably trapped forever (well, Marshall busted out in Land of the Lost, but then Uncle Jack got sucked in).

I figure Grumpy took them all out ... eventually.
Abby
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2001, 01:40:27 AM »

I do remember that Uncle Milty episode. The thing about the Tales Of episode that was so similar to Galaxy Quest was a side-story about a main character's problems with crumbled fame. There was also a Tales Of (or Monsters -- same difference) episode that WAS The Truman Show. As in, the same exact set-up, only with a downer ending.

Actually, I thought Galaxy Quest had more in common with The Three Amigos than anything else ... sans musical numbers.
Stupid Jacob
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2001, 11:26:58 AM »

The new Spiderman series. The last episode ended with that Madam Web broad taking Spidey "to finally get Mary Jane back". Then it ended! Jeez, what a ripoff.
Nigel
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2001, 11:38:01 AM »

Did Land Of The Giants ever end properly?
Justin Robertson
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2001, 11:42:55 AM »

There is a two or three minute commercial for this video at the end of my tape of "Timerider:  The Adventure of Lyle Swann."  The video looks really funny, with Nick Danger falling on his face often and a commercial for "Booby Chew" that really cracks me up.
Vermin Boy
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2001, 08:30:37 PM »

Cool, I guess I'll have to watch it as soon as I can! (My school puts the burn on at the end of the year, so my stack of movies I own but haven't watched yet is unfortunately high).

Barnes & Barnes fall into that unfortunate recognition limbo of those who are musically very good but lyrically off the wall. The only person to completely overcome that stigma was Frank Zappa, and even he's rarely heard on the radio these days. Damn shame...
peter johnson
« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2001, 12:23:11 AM »

Jusitn Robinson:  Booby Chew hormone gum is one of the proud sponsors of Rocky Rococco's vision to take over the World as we know it . . . I own this damn thing and watch it often -- I own a lot of B and bad horror, etc., but very few of them bear repeated viewings to savor one aspect or another -- This is NOT the case with "Nick Danger and The Case of the Missing Yolk" -- each time you see it, another aspect of focused insanity comes into play.  These people really spent some time on this -- watch the backgrounds . . . .
Mr. Vermin:  Augh! (Sound effects by Charles Schultz):  Now you invoke the spirit of Frank Zappa, who I revere above perhaps all other former mortals -- What is it about taste that would inspire one who enjoys Barnes & Barnes to also enjoy Firesign and Frank?  On the surface, they ain't that similar -- perhaps it is the fact that they all put some obvious effort into what they did & do, that is to say, for them it isn't just putting any sort of swill out to a piggy public, but actually taking a tad of time to compose a proper pearl to cast before them . .. . ?  I do not really know, all that can be said is that there is a certain ineffable that unites them all in some fashion.
Frank gets his props:  In Vilnus, Lithuania, there is a bronze statue of him before the capital building in the city square.  In Prague, there are images of him on every corner.  Do you know that the secret police used to tell arrested dissidents that they were " going to beat the Frank Zappa music " out of them when they were arrested during the collapse of Communism there?   You can look it up ... .
Flangepart
« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2001, 11:46:33 AM »

Bill,s song, "The ballad of William Robinson" was on Dr. Demento last month....Some one should just film that! Got to love the line, "Dr smith will likely kill us all, and thats probably just ass well." Ouch.
Pages: [1] 2
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Series with NO ending « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.