Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 01:54:28 PM
714237 Posts in 53092 Topics by 7736 Members
Latest Member: ShayneGree
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Dancin Outlaw « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Dancin Outlaw  (Read 4701 times)
mr Raffles
« on: May 27, 2001, 09:45:28 PM »

Awesome documentary about the last of the "appalachian mountain dancers" This guy lives in a trailer park, worships Elvis, and does this absurd tap dancing to really bad country music.  He also does Elvis karaoke (using a cb radio thing as a microphone) and argues with his wife, a fat lady in a guns'n'roses t-shirt.  Hard to find, apparently it was on tv in West Virginia for some reason.
Will
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2001, 11:31:17 PM »

You're not going to believe this, but I work at the documentary studio where the idea for Dancing Outlaw was originally pitched.  It ended up not being distributed by us, but we were at the beginning.  We have another documentary on the originator of psychobilly music, Hasil Adkins, in which Jesco White's sister gets in a bar fight.

Julian Nitzberg, the producer of Dancing Outlaw, directed that one and worked here at Appalshop for a couple of years.

Whotta coincidence......I met Jesco once....very scary.
peter johnson
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2001, 11:47:31 PM »

Surely there must be a way such grand badness can be generally seen by us all?
Will
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2001, 01:12:23 PM »

Unfortunately, Dancing Outlaw is currently out of print.  Julien's contract with his distributor ran out and no one else has picked it up.  I myself have a bootlegged copy of it and its sequel (yes! The sequel!  When the first one came out, Rosanne and Tom Arnold saw it, loved it, and invited Jesco to Hollywood to appear on an episode of Rosanne.  It's truly classic.)

You can get The Wild, Wacky World of Hasil Adkins from Appalshop.  It's nearly as good as Dancing Outlaw.
Abby
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2001, 09:16:08 PM »

JESCO!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jesco Fan Page

Love Jesco!!! It's one of my favorite documentaries. Didn't like the second Jesco as much as the first (the one with Rosanne), but it's still fun as heck. Me and a friend almost hired him to perform at a party a few years back.

I also have the junkyard documentary.
Will
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2001, 12:14:47 AM »

You've good taste, Abby....from Jesco to Girdler.....
Yeah, Jesco's bringing in $1000 per performance now, so he's an expensive good time.....Last I heard his brother Dorsey died while demonstrating that the gun in his hand was unloaded by putting it to his head and pulling the trigger.  Guess it was not unloaded after all....Jeez, I used to see him dancing down the road quite often (I grew up in VA, but only about 40 min. from Boone, WVA, where Jesco lives).
Abby
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2001, 05:03:03 PM »

I bought my copies of the two Dancing Outlaws through Flower Films (!?!) --- probably about two years ago. Before that, I had a bootleg that featured the first Jesco and the Junkyard film.

Jesco was asking for $800 when we tried to book him. Spilt between two of us, it was pricey, but worth it for what we were doing at the time. He was already booked, though.

I read on his Yahoo fan clubs last year that he's very bitter about how he was portrayed in the documentaries, and he dislikes the director (Jacob Young, is it?). Jesco feels like he got the shaft. I've also read about him pulling guns on the "crew" during shooting. Must have been a lot of fun making those flicks :)

The second Dancing Outlaw felt very forced -- too staged. But in a weird way, the fake quality of the whole thing mirrored what actually happened on Roseanne -- as in, Jesco wasn't accepted on his own terms.
Will
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2001, 10:54:18 AM »

Yeah, Jacob Young was the director.  Jesco loved the film when he got noteriety, but as his flash in the pan started to burn out, he decided it was Jacob and Julien's (Nitzberg, the producer) fault.  Insane.
Abby
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2001, 05:43:46 PM »

By the way, according to the Flower Film's Website, they ARE still offering the two Dancing Outlaw movies for sale:

Dancing Outlaw

Jesco Goes To Hollywood
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Dancin Outlaw « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.