Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 07:25:51 PM
713372 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  "You Wouldn't Like Me When I'm Ang Lee" « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: "You Wouldn't Like Me When I'm Ang Lee"  (Read 2188 times)
Squishy
« on: January 29, 2003, 04:04:49 AM »

Okay, the trailer's all over the place now.

My first thought: "Jesus, all that's missing are visible sound effects. He just jumped off the damn comic book page. HE'S SWINGING A TANK. I think I just went."
Second thought: "...Thank God, he's wearing the purple pants."
Third thought: "He...he looks like Shrek...on steroids...wearing a bad rug."

Your thoughts?
Fearless Freep
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2003, 10:45:34 AM »

Okay, the trailer's all over the place now.

I saw it during the superbowl and my first thought was that he CG Hulk was a bit weak. Then I stopped to think that if nor for CG they would probably have to use some combination of a guy in a suit and stop-motion, and both of those techniques have their own visual distractions so I guess the CG isn't really bad.  We seem to think that CG should be perfect so when it's not, we are disappointed, forgetting that more traditional techniques have their problems also.

However Gollum/Smeagol in "The Two Towers" and to some extent Jar-Jar Binks in "The Phantom Menace" have raised the bar of our expectations of CG characters interacting with live actors

=======================
Going places unmapped, to do things unplanned, to people unsuspecting
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2003, 12:33:23 PM »

I am basically an "anti CG" guy. CG effects have their place, but movies have become much too reliant on them. STAR WARS: EPISODE II was about 99% CG effects . . . so many effects that they became distracting. I can see the point of using CG effects for certain action scenes, science fiction, etc., but not to the point where they overwhelm the movie. For God's sake, they use CG effects to add clouds to blue skies, to add reflections on windows, etc. This is complete overkill.  Hollywood's geniuses have evolved from great filmmakers to computer nerds. I would prefer to watch a low-budget European vampire movie from 1973 any day!

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
Dr. X, Yyz, Sr. .
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2003, 12:48:30 PM »

amen

"Just because you CAN edit doesn't mean you should."

-Tom Servo

Steve B
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2003, 03:49:43 PM »

I mean, c'mon, they used Lou Ferrigno (sp?) to play the Hulk. I guess they can't use a bodybuilder to play the Hulk anymore, instead they use CG to make sure it looks fake.
Fearless Freep

« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2003, 04:05:09 PM »

I guess they can't use a bodybuilder to play the Hulk anymore

In the comics, Hulk was much bigger than Lou Ferrigno(sp?) or any body builder.  The Hulk in the TV series just looked like a bug guy painted green, not really The Hulk from the comics.

The human eye is hard to fool when it comes to 'realism' and attempts to make something 'fantastic' look 'real' usually come up short, whether your using a guy in a suit, or a puppet, or animatronics, or stop motion animation.  When try to reproduce something from a medium like drawing (comics, cartoons, whatever), where photrealism is not expected so you can do a lot of fantastical thing, into a medium like film where photorealism is the norm, you run into all sorts of contraints; and you either fail to reproduce the same results in the new medium (like the original Hulk and Spider Man TV shows) or you end up with something that the eye is telling you isn't quite right (like the movie Spider Man or the Hulk)

CG is new, and to a certain extent a lot of it does look fake, but then how many people were really fooled by Harryhausen's work into thinking it looked 'real'.  It just a different sort of 'looks fake' that was accepted and other than nostalgia, it wasn't any better and was arguably worse because not only did it look fake, but it was limited in what you could do.  

Now you have CG, which still looks fake, but at least is significantly less limiting in what you can portray.

=======================
Going places unmapped, to do things unplanned, to people unsuspecting
Flangepart

« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2003, 06:31:28 PM »

Anyone read "Drawing comics the Marvel way"?
The exaggeration accepable in comics, indeed, does not relate to the  photorealisim of live action film.
Animation, on the other hand, like comic illistrations, are accepted, as the nature of the medium is expected to be "Figuative". Scott McCloud's book on how the comic image works in the human mind is a great foundation to seeing the differance between the two media.

"Aggressivlly eccentric, and proud of it!"
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  "You Wouldn't Like Me When I'm Ang Lee" « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.