Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 12:26:50 PM
714338 Posts in 53094 Topics by 7741 Members
Latest Member: SashaHilly
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  To buy or not to buy . . . that is the question « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: To buy or not to buy . . . that is the question  (Read 1344 times)
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« on: February 10, 2003, 06:25:02 PM »

Okay. I was out shopping over the weekend and I had a few Godzilla dvds in my hand. The only Godzilla movie I currently own is the Ferris Bueller one, so I figured that I owed it to myself to buy some of the old classics from Japan. But I hesitated . . . and in that moment of hesitation, I put them all back on the shelf.

So I ask you, do I spend the money on these silly movies? Of course, the alternative is NOT to save the money and wisely invest it. NAY! The alternative is to spend the money on OTHER crappy movies.

So, I will let the majority rule. Do I buy the Godzilla movies? I am obsessive compulsive, so I will buy ALL of them. I cannot buy just one or two. Let me say that right up front.

So the vote is this:

YES, Joe, throw away your money on all the Godzilla movies that you can find (and by the way, this extends to RODAN and all of Godzillas other friends and associates).

or . . .

NO, Joe, forget Godzilla. Throw you money away on other crappy movies.

I will abide by the decision of the court . . .

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
Flangepart

« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2003, 06:32:31 PM »

Well I'd buy them. If i had the money....and they were in good order. If your like some of us, and its a feel good thing you do when you feel down, then yeah.
These Toho flicks are like old friends to me....weird friends that make lots of noise, trash the place, make your family look at you funny, but leave you feeling good about life.
If that describes how you feel about 'em...go for it!

"Aggressivlly eccentric, and proud of it!"
Andrew
Administrator

I know where my towel is.

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2003, 06:32:58 PM »

I am betting that these are all from that new Sony set.  I picked it up, but probably should not have (already had the older DVD releases).  Here was that old post:

[ur]http://www.badmovies.org/bbs/read.php?f=2&i=21234&t=21234[/url]

Andrew Borntreger
Badmovies.org
The Burgomaster

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2003, 06:37:01 PM »

Well, the fact that they are not widescreen may be the deciding factor that makes me decide not to buy them.

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
TC
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2003, 06:47:47 PM »

Don't buy them...The fact that you had second thoughts about it makes me think you made the right decision.  I only buy bad movies that I don't have to think twice about purchasing.
kriegerg69
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2003, 06:47:55 PM »

Joe wrote:
>
> Well, the fact that they are not widescreen may be the
> deciding factor that makes me decide not to buy them.
>

DON'T buy them...I have the entire out-of-print Simitar set (ALL of which except one are in wdiescreen).....you're better off tracking down the Simitar releases.
The Simitar dvd of GODZILLA VS MOTHRA has two versions: widescreen, and pan & scan on each side of the disc, and though the films' contents are identical, the opening title is different for each movie. One has GODZILLA VS MOTHRA, and the other has the GODZILLA VS THE THING title. All the discs in the Simitar set also have video promo trailers and other nice stuff....Stick with Simitar.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
"Mein Führer! I can walk!!"
Deej
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2003, 10:34:52 PM »

I have the same problem, I have to buy the whole friggin' thing if it's available. I recently bought the Dolemite boxed set, which included 2 Dolemites, a Petey Wheatstraw, and someother damned thing. Got through thte Dolemites and haven't had the stomach to watch the remainders, and I may never. So, that's wasted cash. I guess I'd say try to buy them individually, so as to avoid burnout. But honestly, what the hell do I know?

Everyone has potentially fatal flaws, but yours involve a love of soldiers' wives, an insatiable thirst for whiskey, and the seven weak points in your left ventricle.

DJ
Vermin Boy
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2003, 10:42:34 PM »

Knock yourself out. Old Godzilla movies are great to have around; you never know when you'll get a hankering for some mindless guys-in-rubber-suits-stomping-on-insanely-detailed-miniatures action! But yeah, if you can find the Simitar DVD set, get it; 5 movies, decent transfers, and usually under $25.

-Vermin Boy

My site: The Vermin Cave
My band: The Demons of Stupidity
?????: ?????
Brother Ragnarok
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2003, 02:35:44 AM »

Buy Godzilla movies NOW!  Goddammit, why even question the greatest of all movie franchises!?!?!  DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT!!!!  The power of Cthulhu compels you BUY THE DVDs!!!!

Brother R
Funk, E.
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2003, 06:25:57 PM »

Err... I'd rent a couple first just to see if I liked them. If they're not wide screen don't bother especially if you're talking DVD.
The Burgomaster

« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2003, 06:30:05 PM »

I have never rented a dvd. I always buy them. My theory is: "If I'm going to throw away money, I might as well throw away a LOT of money." I would say that at least 30% of the dvds in my collection fall into the "suck" category. My wife can't understand it, but I guess it defines me as an individual. (A sick, twisted, stupid individual . . . but an individual nonetheless).

Funk, E.
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2003, 06:32:46 PM »

In that case: No wide screen, no dvd. Know wide screen, know DVD.
The Burgomaster

« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2003, 06:39:45 PM »

I always buy widescreen unless no other options are available. Thus, my recent purchases of BRAIN OF BLOOD, FRANKENSTEIN ISLAND and BLOOD OF GHASTLY HORROR, which are all full-frame. I hated to buy them, but my collection seemed naked without them.

Chadzilla
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2003, 06:44:09 PM »

Same here, if I think twice, or have a second thought on ANYTHING, I go with the little voice.  Saves money and misery.

Besides, they are pan and scanned.  Ick.

Buy Destory All Monster, though.

Chadzilla
Gosh, remember when the Internet was supposed to be a wonderful magical place where intelligent, articulate people shared information? Neighborhood went to hell real fast... - Anarquistador
Chadzilla
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2003, 07:00:10 PM »

Joe wrote:
>
> my collection seemed
> naked without them.
>

I feel your pain, collecting wise.  Most of my collections are npt even complete skeletons, much less naked.

Chadzilla
Gosh, remember when the Internet was supposed to be a wonderful magical place where intelligent, articulate people shared information? Neighborhood went to hell real fast... - Anarquistador
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  To buy or not to buy . . . that is the question « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.