Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 06:03:44 AM
714232 Posts in 53092 Topics by 7736 Members
Latest Member: ShayneGree
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Shadow of the Vampire « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Shadow of the Vampire  (Read 1978 times)
Mofo Rising
« on: May 30, 2001, 03:13:20 AM »

Every once in a while you watch a movie that gives forth a vibe of pure happiness.  This isn't one of them.

SHADOW OF THE VAMPIRE is a film dealing with the creation of the legendary NOSFERATU.  The conceit is that the actor portraying Count Orlock, Max Schreck, was actually a real vampire.

From the previews I would've guessed a sort of camp atmosphere.  While there are some funny moments, overall the film is pretty bleak.  It portrays human monsters against a quite real one.  There is a continual low-grade horror going on here, a mundane dread permeating every scene.  At least that's what I thought.

I thought it was interesting, although I've never seen NOSFERATU, which probably would've increased my enjoyment.  William Dafoe disappears into his makeup while John Malkovich plays John Malkovich.  Udo Kier is here too.  I'd give it four slimes.

First REQUIEM FOR A DREAM, now this.  I think a viewing of NATIONAL LAMPOON'S LOADED WEAPON 1 is in order.
Alisa
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2001, 09:04:33 AM »

yes, it sounds to me like you need to see the movie Love & a  .45.
Paul Westbrook
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2001, 11:09:31 AM »

I really found SHADOW OF THE VAMPIRE to be a unique piece of cinematic work. Mixing fact, and fiction creates for the viewer a creepy atmospheric tale of a WHAT IF scenario. Murnau, the director of Nosferatu comes across, as overbearing, with a brash sense of arrogance. Williem Dafoe brings authenticity to his dark portrayal of Shrek, the actor who played the title vampire Count Orlock. The movie itself evokes terror, and dread, as Shrek allows his role to clearly become his dominate persona. Man or Vampire? Who Knows?
Chunkstyle
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2001, 03:40:25 AM »

"...while John Malkovich plays John Malkovich." I'm glad someone else said it before I had to myself. Malkovich still did a pretty good job with the role, mind you, but it never seemed to be much of a stretch for the guy.

Anyway... Shadow of the Vampire.

I really wasn't sure what to expect tone-wise before seeing this flick. I was pleasantly surprised with how it turned out. As has been pointed out, this picture could have had a lot of camp value if done in that direction, but it also worked as an out-and-out serious film. Dafoe did a fine job with the titular character -- it actually was deserving of that Oscar nomination, if you ask me.

My favorite scene featured the vampire/Max Shrek taking a few minutes to talk with the drunken producer and writer. Now, I may be alone in this, but I respect the way they didn't bother to fully explain the workings of vampires in this film's universe. They're apparently immortal, yet still age, and Shrek was somehow or another impotent when it came to making offspring... ...and they didn't go into further into it than that, as far as I could tell.

Anyway. I'd give it 3½ slimes.

Just curious, but did anyone try sitting through the DVD commentary?  "...blah, blah, blah... filmmaker as god... blah, blah... hey, I'm a filmmaker, so I must be a god too! Bwahaha!" Spread that over the length of the picture and you've got the commentary. I fell asleep twice, so I've no idea if it improves.
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Shadow of the Vampire « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.