Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 02:01:25 PM
714160 Posts in 53091 Topics by 7732 Members
Latest Member: Larryfiste
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  B-Movie Fest in Louisville '02 « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: B-Movie Fest in Louisville '02  (Read 4951 times)
Will
« on: May 31, 2001, 01:28:13 PM »

Well, with prodding by Brad and Alissa, I'm up for organizing a Feb. '02 B-Fest in Louisville, KY.

Brad suggested Wild and Woolly Video as a place to start there; and I'm already having a punkfest at The Brycchouse in July so I'll make some initial movement then.

And of course, for Abby and country, one night will be reserved for William Girdler.

I'm posting this now as a call for suggestions, contacts, etc. that anyone might have.....

Thanxxx.  I hope I can live up to the other fests.....
Abby
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2001, 01:53:12 PM »

Excellent News --- definitely tell Wild and Woolly -- heck, come over and make an announcement at the WG.com Message Board -- lots of Louisville folks stop by there -- including W&W workers!!!
Abby
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2001, 02:11:20 PM »

Actually, the moderator of the Girdler's Movies forum IS a W&W worker. There's a 35-mm print of Asylum of Satan that Pat Kelly dug up sitting at The Baxter in Louisville.  The print is not in great shape, but it contains scenes cut out of the video version. Perhaps we can find a use for it ...

Also, try getting in touch with the writer of the Charles Kissinger site. His name is Dave. He works at the Baxter -- and he helps run the Wonderfest convention in Louisville. He might be able to suggest some good local contacts.
Will
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2001, 02:20:31 PM »

Thanxxx Abby!  You are the Girdler Goddess!
Ringneck
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2001, 03:23:56 PM »

Will.  If I'm not mistaken there are several small theaters still left in Louisville that usually show "art" films, or Rocky Horror Picture Show and other cult stuff.  The Baxter used to, not sure what they are up to now.    They might be a good lace to stage such an event.  W&W Video is definatley the place to start your search though.  

There are several collages in Louisville and just across the river in Indiana so of course those would be good places to promote the event once specifics are set.  

Check Ebay for 16mm films, I see alot turn up there, although movies seem to go for $50-$100 no matter how obscure they are, which aint cheap at all.  

If luck is with us I should have my movie complete by then.  Its will be a B&W war movie in 16mm that should run about an hour and a half.  Shooting will be done, lets hope the editing is too.
Ken Begg
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2001, 03:24:30 PM »

First, may I suggest you read some of Andrew's B-Fest and NOWFF reviews, to give you a taste of what works at these and what doesn't.  Many of the other Cabal members also have such pieces up.  The Fest Survival Guide on the old Oh the Humanity site's a good piece, too.

Second, remember to contact the Stomp Tokyo guys through their Festival site at www.b-fest.com, where they keep tabs on upcoming B-Movie fests.  We'd also be glad to do what we could at Jabootu to promote it.

Third, here's some films I mentioned at the end of my '01 B-Fest revew as being available for rent.  Most are bad, a few are quite good, but it should give you a taste of what's out there:

Available from Swank:

Godzilla 2000 / The Lonely Lady / The Swarm / Sextette / Them! (This would be great!) / Lambada / Deathwish III / Meteor / Exorcist II: The Heretic / Forbidden Dance / Four Skulls of Jonathan Drake / The Ghost and Mr. Chicken / Hercules (the 1983 Ferrigno version!) / Howard the Duck / Invasion of the Star Creatures / Island of Terror (Peter Cushing) / Kitten With a Whip / The Land Unknown / Mac and Me / Mad Love (Peter Lorre) / Matilda (1978) / The Mummy (1959) / The Night Walker / Roller Boogie (!!) / Starship Invasions / Strange Brew / Superfly / Tarantula / Theatre of Blood / Walking Tall (Joe Don Baker) / Yor: Hunter from the Future / Agent for H.A.R.M. / Amityville Horror 3 / Attack of the 50 Foot Woman / The Beast with Five Fingers / Black Caesar / Brides of Dracula / Captive Wild Woman / Concorde – Airport ’79 / Count Yorga, Vampire / Curse of the Demon / 5,000 Fingers of Dr. T / Foxy Brown / Friday Foster / Lost Horizon (1973) / Last Movie / Mutant Species / On Deadly Ground / Switchblade Sisters / Targets / Xanadu / Zabriskie Point

Meanwhile, here are some Kit Parker titles that would be of interest:

Monster of the Piedras Blancas / How to Make a Monster / Claw Monsters / Cape Canaveral Monsters / Unknown Terror / Deadly Invasion: Killer Bee Nightmare / Playgirls and the Vampire / Back from the Dead / The Maze / Missile to the Moon / She Devil (if the 1957 one) / Thousand Eyes of Dr. Mabuse / Tobor the Great / Wicker Man / Wizard of Mars

Thanks for putting the work in, and keep us apprised.
Ken Begg
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2001, 03:31:57 PM »

Most of the Cabal sites are run out of pocket, so we're not talking huge money here, but in the past some of us have kicked in 'sponsorship' fees for B-Fest and NOWFF.  If you're printing a program or something you might want to keep this in mind, either selling a sponsor credit for certain titles or maybe display ad space in your promotional materials.
Abby
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2001, 04:06:02 PM »

If you can come up with a 16-mm projector, I could ask Cinefear to loan their copy of Abby (we're having showing in New York this July, if anyone is interested). Lee Jones, Louisville native and director of Invasion of the Girl Snatchers, has a 16-mm Grizzly. I own a 16-mm print of Project Kill.

Just a thought ...
Will
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2001, 04:17:30 PM »

Awesome suggestions.....I'll work on the projector and the venue starting about the middle of June when I get some breathing room at work.  I'll start fielding suggestions at my e-mail, sleazefuhrer@hotmail.com so I won't lose any of this great input.

Thanks to all!
Will
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2001, 04:26:00 PM »

Oh yeah, I have one at my work, plus printing studio and stuff.

Okay, I'm set then once I get a venue.  And Abby, if you wanna provide Girdler stuff I'd love it (I'll help out financially if you need it).  Wonderful, wonderful......
Abby
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2001, 04:34:18 PM »

Naw, it would be no trouble to lend this stuff out for a B-fest. Keith has loaned out his Abby print for conventions before. Asylum and Grizzly are already in Louisville.

Keith has MANY 16-mm prints of B-movies -- really rare titles. Perhaps he'd be interested in renting or loaning other titles as well.

Hey -- if you want to make a big deal of it (and you can secure a venue), I'm sure it would be relatively easy to get Lee Jones to make an appearance -- perhaps with some planning, I could see if Carol Speed and/or Pat Kelly would be interested in attending. We've all been talking about throwing a Girdler bash --- this would be a perfect excuse to get our butts in gear.
Will
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2001, 08:54:00 PM »

If you're up to doing the primary planning for the Girdler night I'm  definitely up for collaborating and taking care of the rest.

sweeeeet.......
Dr Specter
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2001, 12:07:59 AM »

WHAT THE...??!!!
I've been off line for about two days and look what happens. This B-Movie orgy involving both of my places of work!
As a projectionist at the Baxter, I'd say they'd definitely be interested in housing such an event, especially if it can be organised and advertised far enough in advance. 16mm projection is definitely an option, though I think a really good video projector might be preferable. I've seen them both projected there and the good video projectors are much sharper. There's also the fact that good prints of bad movies abound on DVD and VHS, where-as the 16 prints that are still around tend to be kind of beat-up.
The 35mm print of Asylum has gone red (there is literally NO green or blue left in it at all) and the VHS of it isn't bad. There really aren't any complete scenes in this print that aren't on the tape. Certain shots are just held longer. Our relationship with Kit Parker has been hit and miss at best. They have utterly no sense of quality control when it comes to the prints the Baxter rented.
Also, if you go to the Wild & Woolly site (http://wandwvideo.com/) you can get an idea of the movies that would suddenly become available.
I'll put a bug in the ears of both of my employers tomorrow. I know Todd at W&W will be interested, and the Baxter will be too, if we can convince them enough people will come.
This is definitely a damn exciting idea, and I will do nything I can to help make it happen!
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  B-Movie Fest in Louisville '02 « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.