Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 09:44:52 AM
714311 Posts in 53091 Topics by 7741 Members
Latest Member: SashaHilly
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  "Prophecies of Nostradamus (Catastrophe 1999)" « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: "Prophecies of Nostradamus (Catastrophe 1999)"  (Read 3269 times)
Musukogoji
« on: February 27, 2003, 02:08:23 AM »

Today, I got in the mail an obscure copy of a filmmost of us here know as "The Last Days of Planet Earth". However here, the title screen called itself "Prophecies of Nostradamus (Catastrophe 1999)". Though, the Danish subtitles that accompanied the film called it "Verdens Sidste Dag"-- whatever that
means.

It appears to be the international version of the movie (though I had always thought the international title was simply "Catastrophe 1999"). It has the international dubbing (also utilized for "The Last Days of Planet Earth"), far more extensive credits (Tetsuro Tanba alone has top billing. Kaoru Yumi and Akira Kurosawa share second billing. Yoko Tsukasa and So Yamamura share final billing [after an extensive cast listing-- and no, Keiji Kobayashi is not in the movie, despite what the IMDB and some G-Fans claim]).

The film runs about 88 minutes, missing the opening prologue from the 90-minute version that makes the rounds in Japan nowadays (the movie was 114 minutes when it debuted on August 3, 1974, but was cut down by Toho when Hiroshima nuts became angry with the film). The original Japanese version opened with a pre-credit sequence with Tetsuro Tanba playing people perecuted in Japanese history for teaching Nostradamus' prophecies (footage of this survives in LDOPE; that's Tanba as a Japanese general at the beginning of the picture and NOT Nostradamus).

The movie is letterboxed (sort of...). It's not in Tohoscope format, but we see more than the panned and scanned "The Last Days of Planet Earth" and is as close to uncut as we're gonna get. We find out that Mariko Nishiyama is actually a dance teacher (I didn't think she had a job in LDOPE). Akira and Mariko's sex scene is uncut (what little was actually cut). While in New Guinea, the natives there are cannibals (they take a bite out of the scientist attacked by the radioactive leech) and it turns out the cannibals are immune to the radioactivity in New Guinea, while the UN Team was not. Nobuo's death scene is much more touching. Nishiyama picks up her corpse and cradles it and soon afterwards Akira appears. Nishiyama looks up at him, a pathetic and broken figure, and simply says "She's dead..." The scene at the beach with Mariko and Akira is uncut-- and makes sense. While LDOPE ends the scene abuptly with Akira chasing Mariko, here, the scene goes on. Mariko runs to the top of a beach hill as the sun comes down and she dances to her heart's content while Akira watches. It's the most beautiful scene in the movie (great music and brilliantly shot)... and they cut it out of LDOPE... ugh, morons. The ending too is altered. Nishiyama begs the Prime Minister to keep the peace and then he, Akira, and Mariko wander away from the Diet Building alone down a deserted street. The end.

As I mentioned above, the real Japanese version was 114 minutes long. However, as Toho has disowned the picture, we'll never get to see that. Lousy Hiroshima nuts... "Prophecies of Nostradamus (Catastrophe 1999)" is great stuff and after seeing it, you'll never go back to "The Last Days of Planet Earth". Check it out at all costs.
BryceDavid
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2003, 12:28:05 PM »

I have a Last Days of Planet Earth dupe. I'm definitely interested in seeing the complete version. The editing in the LDOPE version is really terrible and as is the translation.
scarabus
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2004, 06:38:43 AM »

Ok, I know it's wrong to ask this but I've been looking for this movie since I'm 12.

There was a clip of this film on a french television show called TEMPS X in 1981 showing the monstruous mutant baby.

Since then, I'm trying to get a copy of this film. So I would greatly appreciate if someone would transfer the film to divx or xvid and put it to share on Emule....
Mercador
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2004, 06:03:40 AM »

Very good news about Last Days of Planet Earth ! A DVD will be released by Classic Media by the end of the year !

There is a petition online to get the film in widescreen format and 16/9 support.

you can sign it here:

http://www.petitiononline.com/cmdvdws/petition.html

Let's hope it is the uncensored version
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  "Prophecies of Nostradamus (Catastrophe 1999)" « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.