Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 10:44:47 AM
713409 Posts in 53060 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  kinda off topic and new screens « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: kinda off topic and new screens  (Read 942 times)
tooshea
Dedicated Viewer

« on: March 01, 2003, 03:47:20 PM »

OK I am assuming that all in here are somewhat keyed into video.  Although I am a TV Producer and have been for years.  I still cannot get a solid answer on the practice of rewinding tapes when done.  Some companies and stations I have worked at over the years preffered "tails out" or not rewound.  Perhaps they like I grew up with reel decks etc and that was common practice then.  Some companies I have dealt with have a STRICT policy on every tape in the facility rewound and then cued to first frame.  Interestingly enough the engineer said that policy was ruining the tape decks and causing increased wear.  OK like its not a BIG deal and frankly I am converting a 3500-5000 tape library over to DVD anyway, but still would like to know.  I have heard a lot of "less filling-great taste" arguments over the years and this one seems to be unsolved.

NOW
This weeks odd viewings

1. The second Civil War   (Joe Dante heheh)  The odest film I have seen all year

2. Slave of the Cannibal God   ( I love Florida movies)

3. Robot Wars  (the sequel to Robot Jox)   kinda like a coors light  not good nor bad

4. Dressed to Kill   ( As a 10YO I liked the nudity, now it kinda dragged)

5. Battlestar Galactica: Conquest of Earth    (They finally get here and what do they find...McNuggets)

Would apppreciate any comments to the above
Goon
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2003, 10:49:29 PM »

I don't quite get what your question is.  This might help:  My family has a 15 year old VHS rewinder.  It rewinds VHS tapes.  Thats all.  It has outlasted three of our VCR's and is still working, if a bit noisy.

-------ooo-'U'-ooo-------Kilroy was here.
JohnL
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2003, 05:41:33 PM »

Not sure if you're referring to regular video tapes or something a studio would use, but...

I remember once reading the Q&A column of a video magazine and someone asked if they should get a rewinder to save wear and tear on their VCR. The answer was that VCRs are made to rewind tapes, so it's not as if you're putting a strain on them. When you stop a tape and rewind it, the heads are no longer in contact with the tape, so the only wear would be on the motor and the drive. It's been my experience that motors last a pretty long time. Also, I've never seen a rewinder break a tape, but of the ones I've seen in use, it seems like they hit the end of the tape with a pretty hard jerk.
Cool Tester
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2003, 06:56:35 PM »

Not sure for the policy of storing tapes tails out or rewound.  My first thought is that keeping the rewound was for convenience.  It's not like it would do more harm to the tape decks, as if they are not rewound the person who uses the tape will likely need to rewind it anyway.

I worked in radio for six years, and we had a policy of storing tapes tails out.  The reason was due to bleed through.  If you keep a tape in storage long enough, the magnetic tape will actually bleed into other areas of the tape.  This has the affect of hearing the sound in other parts of the tape (although very muffled).  I was told that you store it tails out, so the bleed through would come after the initial sound, as opposed to heads out in which the bleed through would come before the initial sound.  I would think that it would bleed through both lairs of tape so it would be heard before as well as after.  I've also heard that you want to let the tape deck simply play until the tape runs out, as fast forwarding will tighten the tape on the reel and increase bleed through (another reason for storing tails out - you can't always play it in reverse until you are heads out, many decks couldn't do that).

My two cents.  All of this could be a myth in the recording industry.  Of course, with digital, I guess it doesn't matter (don't forget to rewind your DVDs!).
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  kinda off topic and new screens « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.