Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 03:58:41 PM
714377 Posts in 53096 Topics by 7742 Members
Latest Member: KathleneKa
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Which country has churned out the most/worst B movies? « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Which country has churned out the most/worst B movies?  (Read 1986 times)
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« on: March 07, 2003, 12:54:42 PM »

This is 2 separate questions:

1. Which country has curned out the MOST B movies?

Could be the U.S., Italy or maybe even Japan (they had the "giant monsters destroying Tokyo" dynasty for so many years . . . )

2. Which country has churned out the WORST B movies?

I think the U.S. and Mexico are probably in the running for this one.

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
kriegerg69
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2003, 06:22:58 PM »

The Burgomaster wrote:
>
> This is 2 separate questions:
>
> 1. Which country has curned out the MOST B movies?

I'd say the U.S., because there's SOOOO much here that goes directly to home video.

> 2. Which country has churned out the WORST B movies?

Again: I'd say the U.S., because SOOOO many of those direct-to-video movies are crap.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
"Mein Führer! I can walk!!"
StatCat
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2003, 06:47:35 PM »

Yep I'd go with the US definitely on both of those too hands down. Although I'd say other hotspots for b movies are Mexico, Italy, Japan, China, and Germany.
StatCat
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2003, 06:50:00 PM »

How could I forget Spain...
yaddo42
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2003, 11:23:34 PM »

How can we overlook the vast output of India's Bollywood? While most  of these films are naturally mainstream to Indian audiences, I think they can be considered B-movies by western standards. Wacky plots, a wide quality of acting (great to pathetic), shallow characterizations, a surprising amount of violence (in the few I've seen), and the musical numbers - how can we forget the musical numbers?!?

As for the worst, that's more of a matter of opinion as already said. I'd say it's between the US direct-to-video/cable stuff, Italy's many genre efforts (westerns, war, horror, crime dramas, sword and sandal "epics", etc.), and maybe all those Canadian Film Board snozefests. Even if Canada doesn't make as many as other countries, the quality of their efforts is usually lower on average.
Foywonder
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2003, 12:06:24 AM »

MOST - The United States

WORST - Italy without question churns out the most consistantly awful b movies. There are tons of Italian b movies but few are ever of any quality. The sheer number of Italian JAWS, ROAD WARRIOR, RAIDERS OF THE LOST ARK, and STAR WARS knock-offs elevates Italy to the top spot.
Scott0
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2003, 12:28:08 AM »

I would count Hollywood as its own seperate entity and call it the place where the most bad movies came from. I absolutely love how at the end of almost all 50's and 60's b-movies comes that phrase "MADE IN HOLLYWOOD, USA" like they are so proud of the fact that they made a movie in Hollywood.

Scott0

Kangaroo Jack #1 in the box office? Let the revolution against Hollywood begin.
Mr. Muddang
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2003, 07:06:49 AM »

The Burgomaster wrote:
> 1. Which country has curned out the MOST B movies?

INDIA, with no doubts in mind. It's unmatched in crappy movies, both in quality and quantity.

> 2. Which country has churned out the WORST B movies?

US. Stating "X" being the worst movie in history would be a giant error because every day, TONS of horrendous movies are made in America. Japanese Gozilla movies are also of great merit.
Neville
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2003, 12:30:23 PM »

And what about Hong Kong? They should be on both lists for all the martial arts stuff, not to speak of their softcore pics.

Due to the horrifying nature of this film, no one will be admitted to the theatre.
Trollificus
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2003, 02:37:56 PM »

MOST?? I hear India churns out tons of stuff that's pretty "B"....you'd think the USA, but I dunno. Japan, if you include all the schools of anime, turns out a lot of movies, too.

WORST?? Again, the countries with the most output have an edge, I have seen some horrible, horrible, $0 budget Mexican 'movies', bad by any standard. I think it takes a while to gain your critical footing regarding Eastern movies. I've gone back and seen that elements of, say, Japanime or Kung Fu movies that charmed me with their 'alienness', were actually just crap. In any culture. (I get fooled a lot by Japanese stuff, though.)

Much as I'd like to say "USA Numbah ONE!!", it may not be so for either MOST or WORST...
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Which country has churned out the most/worst B movies? « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.