Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 20, 2024, 12:07:42 AM
714253 Posts in 53092 Topics by 7736 Members
Latest Member: ShayneGree
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  What B/cult movies are worth getting on dvd? « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: What B/cult movies are worth getting on dvd?  (Read 8755 times)
Joshua
« on: February 25, 2001, 08:34:04 PM »

I was wondering what cult and b movies are worth getting on dvd as opposed to a cheap vhs version. Currently, I only have Castle of Cagliostro on dvd.
Chadzilla
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2001, 10:57:55 PM »

Being an addict of the DVD format I think that the answer is the ones you love and cherish the most.  The picture quality is the tops and, if the company foots a sizable production budget on the disc, then the extras are worth the 10 or so dollars more.
Razorteeth2001
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2001, 03:11:07 AM »

Slaughterhouse.  The extras on this DVD are plentiful and amazing!!Joshua wrote:
>
> I was wondering what cult and b movies are worth
> getting on dvd as opposed to a cheap vhs version. Currently,
> I only have Castle of Cagliostro on dvd.
Dr. Freex
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2001, 03:19:44 AM »

Chadzilla wrote:
>
> Being an addict of the DVD format I think that the
> answer is the ones you love and cherish the most.  The
> picture quality is the tops and, if the company foots a
> sizable production budget on the disc, then the extras are
> worth the 10 or so dollars more.

Chadzilla's criteria on which DVDs to purchase is perfect.  I confess a particular weakness for Something Weird Video and Anchor Bay's products - not only are the extras interesting, but in the case of a movie like Blood Feast... well, I still think they had the original film sealed in a vacuum, it looked that good.

Of course, you could always go with a subscription rental service like Netflix to try the discs out. And a few minutes spent at dvdpricesearch.com will save you some money on the discs you do decide you need.  I think a lot of people will agree with me - the damned things are worse than crack.
slaXor
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2001, 01:00:31 PM »

Got Riki-Oh on dvd thanks to badmovies.org
prolly watched it 10 times since i got it
just keeps getting better!! :)

btw how is ninjawars?
I was thinking of getting it but didnt want to if the only cool part was gonna be the projectile vomit attack =]
Matt
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2001, 03:17:40 PM »

I’ve found that there are certain movies on the dvd format that are not worthwhile, Bad Taste – the “Canadian import version” totally sucks – the color is bad and the disc comes with nothing extra. The video quality of the dvd is no better than VHS. Try to stick with mainstream distribution companies rather than some company you might of never heard from.
Mix Masta Minion
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2001, 11:44:41 PM »

Man, I have one that is worth while if it's even on DVD.  

1.  The Roller Blade Seven:  This has to be the worst movie I have ever seen.  It has some terrible camera angles and replays.  Definatley a film that would be great to make fun of, or just to see why there's a difference between "film" and "movie".
Inukko
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2001, 04:56:04 AM »

The Rollerblade Seven was a Donald G. Jackson
movie, & as far as I know, none of his movies
have come to DVD yet.

He is a very good "bad director", though...
Troma, are you listening?
Apostic
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2001, 12:20:49 AM »

Fiend Without a Face (from the Criterion Collection).  They did a very nice job with the extras.

regards,

Apostic
Pacman000
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2012, 05:05:54 PM »

It depends on the cost of the DVD.  I should not that some particularly bad movies have good scenes, and that it's easier to skip all the bad stuff on DVD.  For example, Planet of Dinosaurs is painful to watch, but the FX are good.  If I had it on DVD, I could skip the painful parts and just watch the dinosaurs.   
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2012, 08:42:42 AM »

All of them.  I sold or gave away my entire VHS collection years ago and replaced everything with DVDs and now blu-rays. 

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
Vik
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2012, 10:30:10 AM »

Killer Klowns from Outer Space and Plan 9 From Outer Space come to mind.
voltron

« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2012, 11:36:46 AM »

The Critical Mass release of Just Before Dawn has some nice extras. Generally though, I really don't care for extras. Somehow they kinda ruin the films for me in a weird way I guess. I have to watch a dvd about a million times before I get to the extras.

"Nothin' out there but God's little creatures - more scared of you than you are of them"  - Warren, "Just Before Dawn"
bob
I survived Bucky Larson

Torgo watches you masterbate!

« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2012, 12:39:36 PM »

Birdemic: Shock and Terror...great great great "bad" movie with lots of extras

it goes without saying that the Ed Wood triology are must haves as well

Kubrick, Nolan, Tarantino, Wan, Irritu, Scorsese, Chaplin, Abrams, Wes Anderson, Gilliam, Kurosawa - the elite

I believe in the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.
alandhopewell
A NorthCoaster In Texas

Hey....white women were in season.

« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2012, 01:03:58 PM »

<HTML>Chadzilla wrote:
>
> Being an addict of the DVD format I think that the
> answer is the ones you love and cherish the most.  The
> picture quality is the tops and, if the company foots a
> sizable production budget on the disc, then the extras are
> worth the 10 or so dollars more.

Chadzilla's criteria on which DVDs to purchase is perfect.  I confess a particular weakness for Something Weird Video and Anchor Bay's products - not only are the extras interesting, but in the case of a movie like Blood Feast... well, I still think they had the original film sealed in a vacuum, it looked that good.

Of course, you could always go with a subscription rental service like Netflix to try the discs out. And a few minutes spent at dvdpricesearch.com will save you some money on the discs you do decide you need.  I think a lot of people will agree with me - the damned things are worse than crack.</HTML>

Al Adamson films released on Troma are a good buy; inexpensive (I paid $9.95 for a copy of BLOOD OF GHASTLY HORROR), plus you get commentary from Sam Sherman, Adamson's long time partner.

If it's true what they say, that GOD created us in His image, then why should we not love creating, and why should we not continue to do so, as carefully and ethically as we can, on whatever scale we're capable of?

The choice is simple; refuse to create, and refuse to grow, or build, with care and love.
Pages: [1] 2
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  What B/cult movies are worth getting on dvd? « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: osmosis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.