Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 09:20:28 AM
713407 Posts in 53060 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Movie with the most misleading ad campaign « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Movie with the most misleading ad campaign  (Read 4010 times)
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« on: March 14, 2003, 02:03:28 PM »

I'd like to hear everyone's opinion of the movie that had the most misleading ad campaign. I'm talking about a movie that was advertised in a certain way, but when you saw it, it was NOTHING like what you expected (and this REALLY p**sed you off).

My nominees are:

* THE ATTIC - A movie from the 1970s starring Ray Milland. The TV spot showed one of those wind-up mechanical monkeys banging a pair of cymbals together. At the end of the ad, blood trickled out of the monkey's mouth. In reality, the movie was about Ray Milland and his daughter (I think she was played by Carrie Snodgress), living in a house and getting on each other's nerves. I think something weird happened with the monkey at the end, but it was all in the daughter's imagination or something (and you had to wait 90 minutes for anything to happen). Anyway, the movie was a boring piece of crap.

* ANY MOVIE FROM "SUNN CLASSICS PICTURES" - This is the company that cranked out all those terrible documentaries like SASQUATCH, and IN SEARCH OF NOAH'S ARK back in the 1970s. In many cases, the trailers contained numerous scenes that were not even in the movies.

* THE GODSEND - I remember the ads that absolutely SATURATED the airwaves when this movie was released. The tag line was "For God's sake, take it back." The movie was sort of a cross between THE OMEN and THE BAD SEED. It was one of those movies where you keep waiting and waiting for something to happen, but nothing ever does. It was rated "R," but I seem to remember that there was no blood or nudity or anything - certainly not enough for it to have been rated "R."

What are some others?

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
Chadzilla
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2003, 02:12:19 PM »

I remember the movie Screamers which promised "Men turned inside out!" but was, in reality, a cheesy children's fantays movie from Italy.  This was back in 1980 or so, around the time Corman also shoved Humanoids from the Deep in our faces.  New World released both.

Chadzilla
Gosh, remember when the Internet was supposed to be a wonderful magical place where intelligent, articulate people shared information? Neighborhood went to hell real fast... - Anarquistador
BryceDavid
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2003, 03:06:41 PM »

For me, it's VENOM. The ad campaign was extraordinaraly deceptive. It was something like "The danger of PSYCHO, the mystery of THE BIRDS, the evil of The OMEN, the terror of JAWS..." And when I saw the movie in theatres, VENOM was nothing more than a boring hostage drama with a snake running around the house. IMO, it's not even a horror film. What hyperbole!!!

Here's a link with the poster.

http://www.moviegoods.com/movie_product.asp?master_movie_id=7308&movie_nss=
Brother Ragnarok

« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2003, 04:13:45 PM »

How about 1998's Godzilla?  Remember when it said it would have...well...Godzilla in it?

Brother R

There are only two important things in life - monsters and hot chicks.
    - Rob Zombie
Rape is just cause for murdering.
    - Strapping Young Lad
Fearless Freep

« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2003, 05:16:13 PM »

Wasn't "Signs" fairly off-target in that the movie was not really the 'alien-horror-thriller' the ads made it out to be?

=======================
Going places unmapped, to do things unplanned, to people unsuspecting
lonecorndog
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2003, 06:58:11 PM »

Fearless Freep wrote:
>
> Wasn't "Signs" fairly off-target in that the movie was not
> really the 'alien-horror-thriller' the ads made it out to be?
>
>

But . . . Signs was an alien-horror-thriller.

"Badgers? Badgers?! We don't need no stinking badgers!"
yaddo42
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2003, 07:30:21 PM »

SIGNS: alien-horror-thriller, well, one out of three ain't bad. There were aliens.

It was more of a "coincidences ain't coincidences, they happen for a reason, however hoaky" gimmick flick.
tooshea
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2003, 07:44:57 PM »

heheh THE ATTIC was filmed here in Wichita Kansas, I live a bliock away from the house LOL
Deej
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2003, 07:46:26 PM »

Friggin' Hart's War! The ads made it seem like a Great Escape type flick, with bombs, and shootings, and blood and snot and all the things people like me go to movies for. In reality it was....I still don't know what it was! It didn't know what it wanted to be. War flick? For about 15 minutes. Court Room drama....yeah let's toss that in there too. Social commentary...why not?

Unlike Windtalkers, which was entirely composed of war movie cliches, Hart's War was a hodge podge of many, many, different cliched genres. The title should have been... " A Few Good Men, who In The Heat of the Night plan The Great Escape, from Stalag 17 on Von Ryan's Express, and ultimately become Hogan's Heroes".

Everyone has potentially fatal flaws, but yours involve a love of soldiers' wives, an insatiable thirst for whiskey, and the seven weak points in your left ventricle.

DJ
Scott0
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2003, 11:57:40 PM »

Fight Club was grossly screwed in the ad department. When I saw the previews for it, all they made the movie out to be was one with guys fighting in a basement, and people who made soap. No mention whatsoever of anything to do with Project Mayhem, the duality of the Narrator, or escape from consumerism; just fighting. Man were they ever wrong. ::sigh::

Scottie

Kangaroo Jack #1 in the box office? Let the revolution against Hollywood begin.
Drezzy
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2003, 01:25:36 PM »

I actually like ads that only display a portion of the storyline. I'd rather go into a movie thinking the entire thing would be about Story A, but then Story A ends halfway through, and is merely a disguise/leads into Story B.

And as the world began crumbling down
Nobody around seemed to care
Dr. X, Yyz, Sr. ?
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2003, 01:29:01 PM »

>>But . . . Signs was an alien-horror-thriller.
 But.....NO!!! It wasn't It was EXTREAMLY boring!!! I would rather drink the rancid milk from a cancerous bag-lady's swollen infected breasts than to watch that "thing" again.
lonecorndog
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2003, 09:01:16 PM »

While I enjoyed the film, even if I had hated it, it doesn't change its genre. All of M. Night's films are slow. Signs had parts intended to be horror, thriller, and it definitely had aliens. Even if it was crap, it still falls into that category.
jmc
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2003, 01:40:07 PM »

No, I gotta agree, SIGNS was more of a family drama that seemed to have aliens included as an afterthought.  Definitely misleading, and also the worst movie I saw in the theater last year [mainly due to the many scenes of comedy included at inappropriate moments, keeping the film from building up any kind of tension.]

FIGHT CLUB's ad campaign was terrible.  When I saw it I thought, "This movie is gonna suck..." just because that's usually the case when you can't tell what a movie is about from its advertising.  Thankfully, I was wrong this time.

I first saw THE ATTIC on disc fairly recently--I was definitely surprised by the film being nothing like its ads, which used to scare me when the movie was first released.   .
Dr. X, Yyz, Sr. ?
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2003, 03:11:03 PM »

No. it most certainly falls in the lame/crap/sensless/not-worth-watching catagory
Pages: [1] 2
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Movie with the most misleading ad campaign « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.