Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 07:34:03 AM
713327 Posts in 53056 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Hong Kong Cinema (Kung Fu) « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Hong Kong Cinema (Kung Fu)  (Read 1848 times)
Scott
« on: March 16, 2003, 11:31:11 AM »

Which are the better titles from the traditional Kung Fu movies? Which are the better ones in your opinion from the 70's and 80's? There are so many out there that I wouldn't want to buy just any. Many on the ones at the Suncoast are betweeing $10 and $15 dollars.

I remember seeing many as a teenager, but can never remember that names of them. I heard that FLYING GUILLOTINES is good. Yet one box cover said that FIVE DEADLY VENOMS was a classic and I didn't think it was a good as the ones I've seen in the late 70's and early 80's.
Dolph Lundgren
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2003, 04:42:33 PM »

Oh wow, this is such a tough question.  It's nearly impossible to narrow down the great kung fu titles that are available now on DVD.  There are so many out there that it's practically unreal.  I'll try to narrow down the search for you a little, though.

First off, what kind of DVD player do you have, Scott?  The reason is because a company called Celestial has been releasing incredible Shaw Brothers (a big name in old-school kung fu flicks) DVD's for the past few months.  Unfortunately, you have to have a region free player in order to play them.  I believe that the DVD's are either Region 2 or 3, I can't remember which.  Anyways, if you have a region free player, I'd suggest seeking these DVD's out, because I've heard mostly great things about them.  

These web sites should give you better outlook on which movies to get:

Linn's Cave of Kung Fu - http://www.tombofdvd.com/linnscave1.htm

This is a great site for beginners.  It talks about kung fu movies in order of which ones that are worth seeking out the most, to the least.  Although it is simply a matter of his opinion, he gives brief descriptions of the movies themselves.  A great place to start.

Kung Fu DVD - http://www.dvdcult.com/KFDVD.htm

The best kung fu movie/DVD related site, period.  An amazing wealth of info. can be found here, and all of the DVD reviews are well-written and extremely informative.  Plus, the forum is a great place to hang out at and ask questions.  You simply have to go to this site.

Kung Fu Cinema - http://www.kungfucinema.com/

Another tremendous site.  Again, a lot of information can easily be found here concerning which movies to get, and on what DVD's.  Another great starting point.

Hope this'll help you out a little, Scott.  I have a list of movies that I'd personally recommend, but these are simply a matter of opinion:

Chinese Super Ninjas (My favorite of all time)
Death Duel of Kung Fu (With incredible super kicker John Liu)
Incredible Kung Fu Mission (Again, with John Liu, one of the most underrated martial artists of all time)
Born Invincible (Another one of my favorites)
Master of the Flying Guillotine (Great movie, great DVD)
The Victim (With Sammo Hung)

This should get you started.  There are plenty more movies out there, but visiting these sites should help at least a little.

Oh yeah, and I agree with you about the Five Deadly Venoms.  An overrated, yet important movie.  It helped spawn several other Venoms movies that are much better, IMO.

Nick
Scott
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2003, 09:05:34 PM »

Nick, thanks for the info. I'll definenately be checking those sites out when I get more time. Thanks again.
Scott0
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2003, 12:27:56 AM »

Stay away from anything made by Godfrey Ho. His movies are worse than a series of doctor physicals given by old men. Practically anything from the Shaw Brothers is a great movies. Also, check into Jackie Chan's old 70's kung fu movie career. I have a pretty wide selection of his movies, and most, if not all are pretty good. Another good series is the Wu Tang Collection. You can get the whole collection of 13 movies for about $100 on VHS. I want to, but alas am but a underfunded high school student. Really good kung fu movies are pretty hard to come by, but when you find them, they are worth it. Some of my specific favorites are:
Shaolin vs. Lama
Snake in the Eagle's Shadow
Invincible Armor
Drunken Master

These all prove to be fun and entertaining to watch. Gotta love kung fu theater.

Scottie

Kangaroo Jack #1 in the box office? Let the revolution against Hollywood begin.
Lee
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2003, 02:37:11 AM »

Here are my recommendations:
The Victim-Hard to go wrong with a Sammo Hung flick!
Snake In Eagle's Shadow-Fun and well-done flick. Yuen Woo-Ping's directorial debut!
Fearless Hyena-oddball but enjoyable kung-fu romp. Jackie Chan's directorial debut!
Magnificent Butcher-Just plain awesome!
Dreadnaught-DIT-FREAKIN-TO!!
Just about anything directed by Lau Kar-Leung(but avoid Warrior From Shaolin it sucks).
Shaolin Temple- The movie that put Jet Li on the map, which is also his first one. Very cool movie but I hear that part 3 is even better. Part 2 is pure evil avoid!

This is the Hell that's my life.-Howard Stern: Private Parts
Squishy
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2003, 06:16:19 AM »

I don't see much chop anymore, but me loves these:

"The Last Hero In China," with Jet Li. Chicken versus centipede action! Cluck!
"Master of the Flying Guillotine," recently restored and released to video/DVD!
"New Legend of Shaolin," also with Jet Li. Weird, touching, and will put you off chicken ass.

I like the wackier stuff, but dramatic ones I have enjoyed are "The Assassin" (1993) and "Blade" (directed by Tsui Hark). I'm glad this thread's come up, because I just learned "Assassin" is now on DVD!

"God of Gamblers' Return" is not kung-fu, but is one of the most amazingly loony action pictures I have ever seen. People either love it or hate it, and I love it. (Haven't seen the other movies in the series, though.)
tuck
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2003, 09:16:55 AM »

36 chambers of shaolin-with lui kai fai in it
Neville
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2003, 09:47:29 AM »

Whoa, you people look like you really know what you are talking about. Can you tell me if the series "Once upon a time in China" starring Jet Li are any good?

Due to the horrifying nature of this film, no one will be admitted to the theatre.
Dolph Lundgren
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2003, 06:47:26 PM »

Hey Neville, while I've only seen Once Upon a Time in China 1 & 2, they are definitely worth seeking out.  Probably a few of Jet Li's most infamous movies, and for good reason.  The finale of part 1 has to be seen to be believed.  Don't know about the rest of the movies, though.  Try checking out IMDB.com and seeing the reviews on there.  They might help a little more.

Nick
Scott0
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2003, 07:12:48 PM »

Almost all of Jet Li's early/mid 90's kung fu movies are wonderful. The fighting is right on, the story line is believable and emotional, and though wires are used in some places, it's not ridiculous like in some movies. Physics still applies to these movies.

36 Chambers is awesome too.
Master Killer is another I'd suggest checking out. I was fortunate enough to have a  Blockbuster nearby that carried a pretty decent selection of kung fu.

Scott0

Kangaroo Jack #1 in the box office? Let the revolution against Hollywood begin.
lester1/2jr
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2003, 11:00:17 PM »

http://www.ronlim.com/martial.html

that is the martial artist's guide to kung fu film.  I strongly disagree with his take on Jet Li's "the Master" I really feel it is a big piece of crap.  

Also, about the Shaw Bros titles: I have a dozen f them including "HUman Skin Lanters" "Killer Clans" and "Cave of Silken Web".  I 'd recommend the vcd's.  I get them for 8 dollars apiece in Chinatown.  Maybe I'll do a post on them sometime

I 've seen TONS of kung fu movies, I'm mostly into far out stuff
"holy Flame f the Martial World"
"Wolf Devil Woman"
"Drunken Wutang"

and mainland (not Hong Kong) stuff like

South Shaolin master (aka red dragons of shaolin)
Return of the tai chi master (not starring Jet Li)
Holy Robe of Shaolin (aka Shaolin and Wutang 2: Wu tang invasion)
Scott
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2003, 12:08:35 AM »

Thanks everyone. I'll write down all the ones mentioned and do a little research and check if the local video stores have them. If I really like them I'll purchase them.
Lee
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2003, 03:13:12 AM »

Once Upon A Time In China is pretty good. Two is cool, three has it's moments. Haven't seen 4 or 5(which star Chieu Man Chieuk). Part 6 is boring as crap. You'd expect a movie with Jet Li and Xin Xin Xiong that's directed by Sammo Hung to rock but it doesn't. A real shame.

This is the Hell that's my life.-Howard Stern: Private Parts
lester1/2jr
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2003, 12:52:08 PM »

there's now some other movie called red dragons from shaolin that is something else.  The one I recommended is the same as south shaolin master.  I've actually seen the "new" red dragons.  It's actually pretty good little mainland flick about little shoalin kiddos protecting the temple when the big guys go away for some reason.
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Hong Kong Cinema (Kung Fu) « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.