Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 11:20:28 PM
714253 Posts in 53092 Topics by 7736 Members
Latest Member: ShayneGree
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  descent comic book films « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: descent comic book films  (Read 8352 times)
raj
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2003, 04:32:16 PM »

What about Swamp Thing?  
Oh, you mean actually good, not bad in a good way.
nevermind.  Still wish I kept my Swamp Thing #1 though.

And the latest scuttlebut is that Toby McGuire might not be able to reprise Spidey, due to his back.  I thought he was a good Spidey, and I hate having a revolving cast playing the superhero (Batman).
Evan3
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2003, 04:39:57 PM »

True, the revolving cast is slightly annoying, but as long as the writing is there. I cant believe Tobey is willing to forefeit 17 million though. And the guy they have in line to replace him is ridiculous, Jake Gyllenhaal from the movie The Good Girl. He is an awful choice. I wish they would cast the heroes as well as the villians.

"Sir, if you were my husband, I would poison your drink."

--Lady Astor to Winston Churchill

"Madam, if you were my wife, I would drink it."

--His reply
Vermin Boy
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2003, 05:23:23 PM »

That could actually work; check out Gyllenhaal in Donnie Darko sometime (though I imagine it would be a little jarring seeing Donnie Darko as Spiderman).

-Vermin Boy

My site: The Vermin Cave
My band: The Demons of Stupidity
?????: ?????
DARKWOLF
« Reply #18 on: March 18, 2003, 06:23:51 PM »

He's too goofy looking go rent Highway and Bubble Boy and you see what I mean. Also why they want him because he's the girl who play Mary Jane real life boyfriend.
StatCat
« Reply #19 on: March 18, 2003, 06:38:03 PM »

Both the crow and cemetery man are based on comics I believe. I know not traditional super hero kind of stuff but I thought I'd just throw that in.
Funk, E.
« Reply #20 on: March 18, 2003, 06:42:16 PM »

Mystery Men was a lousy movie, but I enjoyed it none-the-less.

Spidey, Batman, X-Men and Superman IMHO are the only 'good' comic book based movies to date. As for the X-men being "Wolverine and Gang" I've perrused an Uncanny X-Men or two in my day and there was a strech there where Wolverine was heavily featured for awhile. Different writers take to different characters that become their favorites. For a while it was Jean Grey, then Cyclopes, then Storm Having a movie with Wolverine as the focal point is hardly a detractor unles you personally can't stand Wolverine.
Bonehead XL
« Reply #21 on: March 18, 2003, 09:27:16 PM »

Ah, yes, super hero movies:

Superman 1,2,3, and 4: One and two where both decent. I thought three was a little off the mark and four just out and out sucked. But, I've never been a huge Superman fan.

Batman 1,2,3 and 4: One and two where great, three was fun in a stupid way, and four was to campy for it's own good.

Spawn: I'm a big Spawn fan and I thought the movie was decent, but the anime version does such a better job.

X-Men: This movie was cool! That is all.

Spider-Man: Always liked Spider-Man and I have to say I loved this. (But just a little to heavy on the CGI)

Daredevil: Mindless mayham. Forget everything else, this movie is all about the fights and should be treated like a kung-fu flick. All about the fights, oh, and Bullseye. He's uber-cool!

Blade 1,2: The Blade was preety cool, but the second one.... Coolness leaks out of this movie. Sure, the plot is a little messed-up, but it's just to damn cool!

Upcomingmovies.com just got done doing "Marvel Comic Movies" so now  Man-Thing, The Punisher, Deathlok, Dr. Strange, and Ghost Rider are all heading to the movies. Plus a Daredevil 2, a Blade 3, and a Electra movies are on the way.

Oh, let us not forget X2, Hulk, and Fantastic Four coming out! Wow, I guess super heros are really the thing now.

(Wishes Mushroom Freak gets tuned into a movie...Hey, a guy can dream, can't he?)
peter johnson
« Reply #22 on: March 18, 2003, 09:33:24 PM »

I'm surprised nobody's mentioned "Ghost World" or "Tank Girl".  "Ghost World" has some real moments, and that Thora Birch sure can act, what?  I haven't seen "Tank Girl", but some folk seem to really like it.  Was it a decent adaptation of the comic or not?
peter johnson
PS:  Actually, I think John Goodman could've played a very dark, very convincing Kingpin.  The man is all chops, per his acting ability.  I really don't think there's anything he couldn't do.
Re.  Othello.  It's really a shame that nobody ever filmed James Earl Jones in the role.  He and Christopher Plummer did a stage version of it wherein they switched the roles every other night -- Plummer would then do Othello and Jones would play Shylock -- They were both quite alright in either part.
Anyway, I like Orson Welles in darn near anything.
Fearless Freep

« Reply #23 on: March 18, 2003, 09:36:29 PM »

Haven't read the comic but "Tank Girl" was an hour and a half of fun and sillines with Ice-T as a mutant and Malcom McDowell as the bad guy.  Can't go wrong with that .

=======================
Going places unmapped, to do things unplanned, to people unsuspecting
Hamburger Pimp
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #24 on: March 18, 2003, 11:12:14 PM »

"Where was all this when Billy Dee Williams played Harvey
Dent?."

I was wondering when someone was going to bring this up.  In my opinion, it would have been bad ass if Billy Dee played two-face in the sequal.  I was kind of p**sed that he didn't.

"I'm so bad, I kick my own ass twice a day"
Mofo Rising
Global Moderator

My cat can eat a whole watermelon!

« Reply #25 on: March 18, 2003, 11:21:59 PM »

I think they're using "comic book" as a synonym for "superhero".  Otherwise we'd have to talk about movies like MEN IN BLACK or ROAD TO PERDITION.

I'm sure there are girlier movies than TANK GIRL, but not many.  Let's see, heroine who does whatever she wants all the time, gains boyfriend who has no other reason to exist than to please her?  Check.  Mousy Naomi Watts as subdued friend who learns to stand up for herself?  Check.  Scene where they try on a bunch of crazy outfits?  Check and mate.  It was alright, I guess.  It's just aimed at teenage girls.  Like THE BIG HIT.

Dan Clowes (GHOST WORLD, EIGHTBALL), on the other hand, is one of the best comic creators working today.

Every dead body that is not exterminated becomes one of them. It gets up and kills. The people it kills, get up and kill.
Hamburger Pimp
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #26 on: March 19, 2003, 02:17:03 AM »

" It was alright, I guess.  It's just aimed at teenage girls.  Like
THE BIG HIT."

Are you serious?  Is Lou Diamond Phillips a  heartthrob now or something???

As long as it's not supposed to be serious, that is....

"I'm so bad, I kick my own ass twice a day"
jackie
« Reply #27 on: March 20, 2003, 01:54:25 AM »

i have not posted here before but i thought after reading this thread i would.

my husband is a huge comic book fan and bad movie fan.
he is the one who started me reading comics about 3 years ago.
i am hooked he also got me watching bad movies and again i am hooked.

as for comic book movies/superhero movies:

the classics like superman - i pretty much agree with most people

Batman is one of my all time favorite movies.  I believe Micheal Keaton did an awesome job as Batman and Bruce Wayne.  Jack Nicholson was awesome as the joker.  And even the bit part he had Jack Palance was also great.  

Batman two was good I liked it a lot not as much as the first
the third one was good in the sense that well Im female and have had a crush on Val Kilmer for a while... and I believe that might have been what that one was going for = lets get some sexy actors in here to appeal to the women... hence chris odonnell - val kilmer and tommy lee jones
although im still confused as to how two face went from black to white but hey im not one to harp on continuity. it was still a good movie.

please do not get me started on batman and robin.
i hate alicia silverstone i think uma thurman did a horrible job as my favorite villain.
Bane was not even close to what he should have been. and im gonna stop now before i get myself all worked up.

Men In Black was a great movie.

XMen was a great movie and one of the best made.  Nuff said

Spider man was an awesome movie also - i realize they changed the story somewhat but there isnt a whole lot you can do if you wanna keep the movie under three hours. I love this movie I saw it like eight times in the theater.

Daredevil - I had my concerns about this movie.  I do not like Ben Affleck unless he is in a kevin smith movie.  However I never had a concern about Kingpin - my husband who is a Daredevil fan did not either.  Kingpins race was never specified.
My problem with it was it was too short and didnt have enough character development.  You didnt get to know the characters as well as I would have liked.
But I think Ben Affleck did a wonderful job.  So did Jennifer Garner.

Comics are meant to be fun and the stories can be different depending on the artist - inker - and author.  There will always be artistic license taken in any movie.

As I told my husband - as with any long running comic book turned into movie- dont it expect it to be exactly like the comic - there will always be differences.  And consolidations - Instead expect a movie that has comic book tendencies.... kind of like those based on true story movies and then most of the time you wont be dissappointed.

I am looking forward to X2 - Hulk - League of Extraordinary Gentlemen... and would love if they would make a Justice League movie or Green Lantern or even a movie based on Neil Gaimans Sandman which happens to be my favorite comic strip.... I also here though they are making a hellblazer movie -  anyone know about this?

ok i think ive rambled enough... late night working does that to a gal.

thanks for listening  

Jackie Conrad Etzweiler
Squishy
« Reply #28 on: March 20, 2003, 04:51:03 AM »

I guess I just got hung up on that ol' nail: comic books = superheroes. Not true, not true.

Raj, Evan, Vermin, and Darkwolf: never fear--Tobey's confirmed that he's back on board for "Spidey 2." (Courtesy of IMDB.) I was NOT prepared to accept "Bubble Boy" as "Spider-Man" any more than I was ready to see "Dude, Where's Krypton?"

The online strip Theater Hopper says that "Road To Perdition" is based on "Lone Wolf and Cub." I though the thing was based on its own comic book (although perhaps it was in turn based on the manga).

"Lone Wolf and Cub," by the way, is kickass in a way the relatively shallow "Akira" can only dream of. Lyz at And You Call Yourself a Scientist! recently reviewed a movie based on the "Lone Wolf" series, and it's certainly up for consideration on any list like this...

If manga-based movies are allowed for consideration, my top-vote goes to "Urusei Yatsura 2: Beautiful Dreamer." It's like a really fun punch in the face that lasts nearly two hours.

"From Hell." anyone? Better comic than movie...
Vermin Boy
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #29 on: March 20, 2003, 08:00:57 AM »

...THE STORY OF RICKY!!

Never read the comic, but the movie is one of the greatest things ever put on celluloid.

-Vermin Boy

My site: The Vermin Cave
My band: The Demons of Stupidity
?????: ?????
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  descent comic book films « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.