Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 05:45:23 AM
714351 Posts in 53095 Topics by 7742 Members
Latest Member: KathleneKa
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Eraserhead « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Eraserhead  (Read 2778 times)
Steve.
« on: June 09, 2001, 08:28:36 AM »

Anyone seen this? I can't decide if it's a steaming heap of doggy-doo, or er...just plain weird and horrible. It has to be seen to be disbelieved, but whatever it is, it features the most jaw-dropping, freakiest "mutant baby" you are ever likely to see.
js-7
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2001, 09:48:03 AM »

I would definitely put "Eraserhead" in the steaming heap of doggy-doo category.  So much was made of the supposed brilliance of the movie, that sentiment was certainly lost on me.  Wasn't it by David Lynch of "Twin Peaks" fame?
Scott
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2001, 11:30:04 AM »

I think we can all agree that this film can be catagorized as "disturbing", Phew............. What a wacked out film.
Steve.
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2001, 01:58:29 PM »

David Lynch was indeed the culprit. "Whacked out" is a good, overall description.
Creeps
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2001, 11:28:40 PM »

I actually really enjoy this movie.  Just got finished watching it for the first time.  I went into it knowing it was supposed to be nightmarish and deranged...but...whew.  I'm all for hellish, nightmare images, and this film serves them up in spades.  And the baby...sweet Mother MacRae.
Vermin Boy
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2001, 12:01:19 AM »

I'm with Creeps on this one... I thought it was a great, creepy movie with some nice, unsettling humor (Gotta love the Grandmother!). Here's an interesting tidbit; to this day, Lynch has never revealed how he made the baby. Kinda makes you wonder...
Steve.
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2001, 01:30:42 PM »

Vermin Boy - The best explanation of the baby's origins that I have heard was in Lynch's words: "It was born somewhere nearby"?! Granny is certainly a strange-o, although everything in this movie is strange-o - like Dad's "Man-made" chickens!
peter johnson
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2001, 05:49:07 PM »

What sticks with me about the film -- aside from God as a cobweb-covered cripple moving rusty old machinery to prod the world to action -- is the solid dream factor of it.  It seems to have been dreamt up, literally, & simply photographed.  The internal logic of it is that of a dream, the characters all behave as if in a dream.  I've never seen another film --- though Jean Cocteau's "
Blood of a Poet"(1934) comes darn close -- that gets this quality as consistently right as this one does.
This was originally made by Lynch as his Bachelor's Thesis student film -- it used to play on double-bills with a more mainstream art-house film called "Asparagus".
The distributors even tried to make it work as a "midnight movie" for art-house fans, but its downer quality did that idea in.
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Eraserhead « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.