Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 12:18:38 AM
713382 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Michael Moore and his "thank you speech": I'm not too shocked « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
Author Topic: Michael Moore and his "thank you speech": I'm not too shocked  (Read 15124 times)
Chris K.
« on: March 24, 2003, 11:34:10 PM »

Ah, the Academy Awards. Full of glamour and glitz. Sadly, I have nothing but BAD things to say about the Academy. And I just so happened to not tune into the Awards ceremony last night.

But, today the news of the Awards has broken out. So far, not too many celebrities made anti-war/anti-Bush comments. That is, until Michael Moore-winner of documentary Academy Award-spoke out and gave his say, with the results of being booed off stage with the Academy Award grasped in his hands. However, I was not too shocked when I heard about it today in the morning. And as much as I do feel freedom of speech is important, these celebrities were told that these comments were not acceptable for the show. And thus, some sat in the sidelines with their mouths shut, while some others had "something to say".

As for Moore's announcing comments, Rush Limbaugh and Sean Hannity are having a field day with it, complete with their typical crap that spews out of their mouths. Again, I feel these celebrities need to get a grip, get in the real world and keep their Democrat statements to a minimum, but then that suggestion is also applied to both Limbaugh and Hannity's Republican bull as well.

I would have really liked to have seen Moore in action, but I chose to watch Stanley Kubrick's THE SHINING over the Academy on that night.
Evan3
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2003, 12:27:45 AM »

It was funny, the second he won, I said to my friend "this guy is the most annoying prick in Hollywood" (only a tad bit more annoying than Russell Crowe) and he went and proved me right by being a total jerk. It comforts me that Hollywood is still a good enough place to boo him off stage (Bowling for Columbine was a terrible movie anyways)

Two  other incidents were Adrian Brody (best actor in the Pianist) went up and kissed Halle Berry and then decided to be the only actor to go against the time limit, telling the orchestra to 'shut up.' He did make a great speech.

Today Nicole Kidman said that she 'regretted being there' while people were dying in Iraq. All right Kidman, I will join the front lines once you do. I would love to win an oscar and doubt that I would regret the triumph of humanity, I think it is great that Iraq cant bring down America.

"Sir, if you were my husband, I would poison your drink."

--Lady Astor to Winston Churchill

"Madam, if you were my wife, I would drink it."

--His reply
Chris K.
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2003, 12:57:39 AM »

Evan3 wrote:
>
> It was funny, the second he won, I said to my friend "this
> guy is the most annoying prick in Hollywood" (only a tad bit
> more annoying than Russell Crowe) and he went and proved me
> right by being a total jerk. It comforts me that Hollywood is
> still a good enough place to boo him off stage (Bowling for
> Columbine was a terrible movie anyways)

Hell, I'm suprised that one of the heads of the Academy didn't walk up to Moore and pull the Oscar out of his hands. If that happened, I would have been on the floor in hysterics.

Sadly, Hollywood is still not a good enough place. Despite the fact that he was booed off stage, most of the celebrities who were on Moore's side (i.e., criticisims of Bush and the war) pretty much proved that they were big wusses by not supporting his statements (and it was for the Almighy Dollar I assure you). Proves how hypocritical they are.
Lee
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2003, 04:09:24 AM »

If I'd been backstage at the awards I would have given this jerk a peace of my mind. I know we are allowed to have our own viewpoints but that doesn't mean you have to act like a complete jack-ass. Moore, I hated you enough already, you're just adding fuel to the fire.

This is the Hell that's my life.-Howard Stern: Private Parts
Deej
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2003, 04:24:22 AM »

I've kinda half-assed followed Michael Moore since Roger & Me, I was pretty interested by alot of what he had to say, and I even watched his tv show a couple of times. I tried to read his book "Stupid White Men" and got through a couple of chapters, he lost me when he started with the "Whitey is the Devil" schtick, I don't have anything against self-evaluation or atoning and redressing wrongs, but I haven't commited any wrongs (of that nature) and I'm bored with being told to be ashamed of myself every time I read a friggin' book. I also thought it was pretty much a sham and an attempt to try to gain some type of shock credibility. Whatever, I never bothered to finish the book.That said, he did make some
(I thought) pretty valid points about the last election in the book.

I didn't see the Oscars, but I caught a clip on the news and from what I saw, all he said was that Bush was a "fictitious" president, which is obviously not the case, the guys living in the big house, he keeps interupting my prime time viewing, he's obviously really the president. Moore also said something along the lines that Bush wasn't elected by the people, that the majority of the people didn't vote for him. What can I say about that? It's true. I didn't vote him, neither did the majority of the voting public. Doesn't break my heart, I didn't vote for the other guy either.

Everyone has potentially fatal flaws, but yours involve a love of soldiers' wives, an insatiable thirst for whiskey, and the seven weak points in your left ventricle.

DJ
Squishy
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2003, 06:15:03 AM »

Anyone got a quote of that final line? I know it's out there. "When you have both..."

Aw, cut the Right-wing sissies a little slack. If it weren't for Moore, they'd have to do their 859th piece on "Why Everything Bad Is Clinton's Penis' Fault."  

"Faaaaaather! Help me, please! Faaaaather!! Aggggggh!!"
--Luke Skywalker and Dubya have one thing in common

"Invade their countries, kill their leaders, and convert them to Christianity."
--It was funny...before it became our secret national policy (Ann Coulter)
Goreomedy
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2003, 08:28:44 AM »

The biggest laugh of the night came from host Steve Martin shortly after Moore's tirade.

"Michael Moore has just been helped into the trunk of his limo by the teamsters."

Adrien Brody's speach, while still critical of war, was respectful.  He showed true class in comparison to Moore's egomaniacal rant.  Yes, people should be able to say whatever they want, but they should also conduct themselves as adults if they wish anyone to listen.
K-Sonic
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2003, 12:58:48 PM »

Bush was se-lected, not e-lected.

Moore's got balls, I'll give him that. More than FOX News or CNN.
Chadzilla
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2003, 01:36:54 PM »

I was dismayed, mostly because Moore came across so self-centered during his rant.  Granted narcissism is the theme of the day, but I thought Brody's speech was more sincere.

Chadzilla
Gosh, remember when the Internet was supposed to be a wonderful magical place where intelligent, articulate people shared information? Neighborhood went to hell real fast... - Anarquistador
jmc
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2003, 02:32:56 PM »

Wow, they booed him?  I'm surprised.  I overheard the speech as it was happening, but was in a restaurant and couldn't really hear what was going on or see the screen, I only heard what Moore said, and it made me angry.  Anyway, I'm pleasantly surprised by that, though I think the booing was probably more for a breach of decorum than for Moore's sentiments.

As for Moore, I've always thought he was a big phony who has never worked a day in his life, though he claims to know what is best for working folk, working folk like me.  I refuse to pay any money to see or read anything he does--I'll rent his movies but that's about it.  I may not even do that anymore.  

One good thing Moore did was help RIVETHEAD to be published..it's by Ben Hamper [the guy who talks about The Beach Boys in ROGER AND ME] who is basically everything Moore pretends to be.   Moore comes off looking pretty goofy in it too.
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2003, 03:49:36 PM »

Moore and the rest of those Hollywood idiots are hypocrites.

Moore got money and an Oscar for exploiting the name COLUMBINE, which represents one of the most shocking tragedies in this country's history.

Many other Hollywood do-gooders have (or will) be paid HANDSOMELY for writing, directing or starring in movies about wars (real or imaginary). If they are truly anti-war, they should boycott the making of movies that either glorify war or depict its horrors.

Remember, these are all people who thrive on being on stage, on camera, or otherwise the centers of attention. They will say ANYTHING to draw more attention to themselves.

I simply say, SHADDAP!

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
Lee
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2003, 09:28:45 PM »

Burgo you hit the nail right on the head!

This is the Hell that's my life.-Howard Stern: Private Parts
Bubba
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2003, 10:35:16 PM »

Well I for one am glad that Michael Moore said what he said. He told the truth (pretty unusual for him).
Now that I've said that, please, please don't hold it against me!
trollificus
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2003, 03:49:50 AM »

http://www.frontpagemag.com/Articles/Printable.asp?ID=3270

Michael Moore wouldn't know the truth if it bit him in the ass. Would that that would happen.
Squishy
« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2003, 05:39:27 AM »

Yeah, he's a big mean liar poopoo doodyhead. Let us never forget that paragon of truthfulness, Rush Limbaugh. Rush is not at all obnoxious, self-serving, phony, or arrogant, either. Heavens, no.

(Feel free to substitute Michael "Savage" Weiner, Sean Hannity, Bill O'Reilly, George Will, Bob Dornan, or Ann Coulter for Rush. It's a free country! ...for now.)
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Michael Moore and his "thank you speech": I'm not too shocked « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.