Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 01:02:41 AM
713383 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Michael Moore and his "thank you speech": I'm not too shocked « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
Author Topic: Michael Moore and his "thank you speech": I'm not too shocked  (Read 15125 times)
Kev
« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2003, 07:39:55 AM »

Michael Moore, under the First Amendment had every right to say what he said whether you agreed with it or not.

That said, a jackass is a jackass is a jackass and Michael Moore's proven himself time and again to be the biggest jackass to ever step behind a camera.
Flangepart
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2003, 11:08:15 AM »

Squishy, my man....your right...Rush Limbaugh is NOT a big mean liar poopoo doodyhead.
Michael Moore is.
That said, do you realise that that simple emotional outburst is reminisant of the exchange between Peewee Herman and his nemisis in "Peewee's big adventure"? Come on ,man, be clever! I expect better of you....even thought i believe your political side is suffering a rectal crainal inversion, you can do better then channel Paul Rubens!
After all, a radical liberal who likes Kaiju, Good Anime and Frank Cho can't ba all bad. Work on it.
Oh, and Alan Coombs is a crabby commie fibbing pottybrain....there, i said it, and i'm glad! Bwahahahaha!

"Aggressivlly eccentric, and proud of it!"
Fearless Freep

« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2003, 11:26:47 AM »

Um, Squishy, if someone is a jerk, they are a jerk on there own merits.  A person can be a jerk regardless of their political persuasion.   It's possible to point out, discuss, and disagree abuot whether someone is a jerk solely within that person. Pointing out that someone else is a jerk has nothing to do with whether the person in question is actually a jerk themselves.  I don't know whether you are actually defending Moore or just knee-jerk name-calling of 'the other side' when you think the opportunity presents itself, but neither is particularly effective

=======================
Going places unmapped, to do things unplanned, to people unsuspecting
Funk, E.
« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2003, 12:37:37 PM »

It is unfortunate that when people discuss politics it turns into a diatribe and not a dialogue. Limbaugh and Moore are the same thing on each side of the political spectrum... Loud idiots who undermine any legitimate point they might have. By being a frothing at the mouth liberal/conservative they do their respective positions a disservice.

Personally I think you have to be completely naive to think that Bush got into the office legitimately and conversely you'd have to be equally naive to think this war was his idea.

I matters very little at this point if the war was a good idea/necessary or not I just hope we don't give up the freedoms that we supposedly fight for.
Chadzilla
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2003, 03:11:36 PM »

The inevitable backlash, of course.  Frankly I found it interesting that a man reviled by some (on both sides of the political fence) for his jumbling of facts to fit his point (which goes back all the way to the fictious timelime of events in the mock-documentary Roger & Me) would brag so openly about loving 'non-fiction'.

I'm sure alternative points of view will be heard, but this is interesting

http://www.hardylaw.net/Truth_About_Bowling.html

as far as Squishy's listing of right wing slanted commentators, I see it as a reminder that both pots and kettles are black.  Too often I find facts presented by commentators in a light far from objective.

Still, if I were single I'd happily take Ann Coulter around the world... :-)

She might be a facist whacko, but she's a hot facist whacko, crack the whip mistress!  I'll lick your boots anytime!

Uh, excuse me...sorry about that...

Chadzilla
Gosh, remember when the Internet was supposed to be a wonderful magical place where intelligent, articulate people shared information? Neighborhood went to hell real fast... - Anarquistador
Pete B6K
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #20 on: March 26, 2003, 03:28:41 PM »

I for one have a lot of respect for Moore. No book he's written or film he's made has been without it's faults though.  

'Stupid White Men' and 'Bowling For Columbine' both suffer from some shock-value over substance and from some slanting of facts. The most glaringly obvious of which is the point at which in BFC he compares the annual gun-death figures in America with countries a hundredth America's size, without taking that into account.  Fact is America's gun-death rates are hugely above most others, even with taking population into account, but clearly Moore thought that it wasn't shocking enough to give the true figures.

But the fact remains that even with it's faults any intelligent person reading/watching his stuff will find a huge amount to gain from it.  Filter out the crap and there's still plenty of good stuff there.  Some of you just see the crap and stop looking.

He is also with many personal faults, he clearly does love the fame and attention.  But then he acheives that by combing humour with strong political statements, a tactic that clearly works.  People who maybe don't have the patience or great interest to read someone like Chomsky, are able to pick up and entertaining book by Moore and be exposed to things they may not have considered before.

I see how ignorant people could read Moore, take every word as gospel, and come out with a narrow-minded view of things, but that's the price of ignorance.  You have to evaluate everything he says yourself, and form your own views on it.

And as for the topic in question, the Oscars speech, I would have been greatly dissapointed with him if he had been given a podium like that and failed to use it to voice his opinion on such a monumental subject.  You shouldn't just ignore these things as if they don't exist.  But then  he could have made better use of it.

Here's the full speech:

"Whoa. On behalf of our producers Kathleen Glynn and Michael Donovan from Canada, I'd like to thank the Academy for this. I have invited my fellow documentary nominees on the stage with us, and we would like to - they're here in solidarity with me because we like non-fiction.  We like non-fiction and we live in fictitious times. We live in the time where we have fictitious election results that elects a fictitious president. We live in a time where we have a man sending us to war for fictitious reasons.

Whether it's the fictition of duct tape or fictition of orange alerts we are against this war, Mr Bush. Shame on you, Mr Bush, shame on you. And any time you got the Pope and the Dixie Chicks against you, your time is up. Thank you very much."

He made some fair points, not sure whether it was really relevant to hark back to the fixed election, it's true, but I thought he could have said something more about the war. specifically.

Pete
Chadzilla
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #21 on: March 26, 2003, 03:47:09 PM »

Loved the little 'smart people this, dumb people that' jabs in your argument there.  "Well if you were smart you'd get his point!!!, but since you are obviously not...  

I still feel that anyone who takes the truth and distorts it, for whatever reason, is creating fiction, not communicating truth.  Michael Moore creates fictional entertainment, nothing more.  Period.  My term for what Moore is doing is Infotainment, presenting entertainment as information.

Nonetheless, Bowling for Columbine is still on my queue at netflix and, while I might not purchase a copy of 'Stupid White Men' (flat out can't afford it), I'll borrow a copy from the library and give it a looksee.  Giving it as much serious thought as anything written by Coulter, Hannity, or O'Reilly, who also skew facts to fit their arguments.

Chadzilla
Gosh, remember when the Internet was supposed to be a wonderful magical place where intelligent, articulate people shared information? Neighborhood went to hell real fast... - Anarquistador
Squishy
« Reply #22 on: March 26, 2003, 04:58:08 PM »

Well, Chadzilla understood my comment. (Didn't expect Flangepart to, frankly.)

Condescending, Detailed Explanation For The Sarcasm-Impared: A lot of folks hate Moore NOT for being a jerk--that's the "cover"--but for being a successful liberal commentator, which causes much weeping and gnashing of teeth on their part...and were an equally-obnoxious conservative media maven (see list above) to use the podium to deliver an equally-obnoxious diatribe, these hypocrites would proceed to stain the front of their underwear in adoration rather than the back of it in mock outrage.

(In this case, free to substitute Al Franken or Bill Clinton for Michael Moore.)

I found the line! "...And any time you got the Pope and the Dixie Chicks against you, your time is up. Thank you very much."

Bonjour!
Bernie
« Reply #23 on: March 26, 2003, 05:40:23 PM »

Two or three things:

What Moore said was completely right on in every detail.  However, he said it in the most oafish, clumsy, offputting way possible.  That's what bugs a lot of people who might agree with him.

Ann Coulter does not distort the truth; she lies outright.  Check the archives of dailyhowler.com for the details.  

And this is not just in her professional life.  A few years, she worked at the same office I still work at (she was here a year or so).  She was a lying opportunist then; nothing has changed.  She almost got someone here fired trying to cover her own bony ass for a mistake SHE made.

Oh, and to top it off, she's hideous looking in person.  Think of a concentration camp victim with a horse face.
Chadzilla
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #24 on: March 26, 2003, 06:03:54 PM »

Bernie wrote:
>
> Oh, and to top it off, she's hideous looking in person.
> Think of a concentration camp victim with a horse face.

My Ilsa fantasy, you're killing it you nasty person you!  :-O

Chadzilla
Fearless Freep

« Reply #25 on: March 26, 2003, 06:04:06 PM »

(In this case, free to substitute Al Franken or Bill Clinton for Michael Moore.)

Or Rush Limbaugh or Micheal Savage (and switch liberal and conservative :)

Can't have it both ways.  "We hate your guy because he's a dishonest idiot.  You hate our guy because he's successful and you don't want to admit he's right"

=======================
Going places unmapped, to do things unplanned, to people unsuspecting
Chadzilla
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #26 on: March 26, 2003, 06:13:34 PM »

Squishy wrote:
>
> Condescending, Detailed Explanation For The Sarcasm-Impared:
> A lot of folks hate Moore NOT for being a jerk--that's the
> "cover"--but for being a successful liberal commentator,
> which causes much weeping and gnashing of teeth on their
> part...and were an equally-obnoxious conservative media maven
> (see list above) to use the podium to deliver an
> equally-obnoxious diatribe, these hypocrites would proceed to
> stain the front of their underwear in adoration rather than
> the back of it in mock outrage.
>
>

Let me just cut and paste this comment you made over on VH1 Heroes and Bad Guys thread, I think it balances wonderfully well with the above...

Heavy in the same way Bill O'Reilly wailed like a baby about his sponsors being threatened with boycotts--crying censorship--the same week he proudly announced that a similar campaign (spearheaded by himself) got rapper Ludicris kicked off a "Pepsi" TV-ad campaign. Or the way "Dr." Laura's fans were enraged to find her own boycott tactics used against her...suddenly turnabout wasn't fair play after all.

[Mr. Rogers]Can you say Hypocrite?  I thought you could.[/Mr. Rogers]

It's like professional sports, when your team does it, then it's fair play.  When the opposing team pulls it, then it's clearly cheating and should be condemned.

Chadzilla
Bernie
« Reply #27 on: March 26, 2003, 06:19:53 PM »

Sorry, Chad.  Please don't let my grubby little reality ruin your beautiful fantasy... ;-)
Flangepart

« Reply #28 on: March 26, 2003, 06:52:47 PM »

See, this is why i realy don't like getting involved with this political crap.
I'm with the freep. Squishy loves to condisend to those who don't "Get it"...which means agree with him.
I wish he would "Get it"...but i know he won't.So, there it is.
I've had it with these posts. No one wins, we all just get ragged on by those who think we are one of "Them". And the river flows on, regardless of what we think....
Bernie. Moore was not right in every detail. He has lied in the past, and will do so in the future. When he did BFC, he did not tell the audience that he had to fill out a form a month ahead of time to get the rifle he recieved from the bank. He lied by keeping that important bit of data out.
No one is perfect. All are flawed. So, we allow our "Pets" to get away with things that we hold "Them" accountable for.
What gets my big assed goat, is attitude. The Attitude Moore has. As you said Bernie, his actions at the Academy Awards put off many who might have agreed with him. Same with Limbaugh and co.
So, we have to all decide which field of view is closest to reality...allowing for our own imperfections...and make our best guess.
Oh, and Squishy...no, had some comservitive made as big an ass as Moore did, i would not stain my underwear (Sixe 44) in adoration of the outpouring of crap.
An ass is an ass.
One last thing....The pope and the Dixie chicks, like the French and Germans, are people. And like You and me, can be wrong. People screw up.
When you click into "Whineing, spoiled bitter child" speak, you turn me off. Like Moore did.
And as for this thread...i am out of here!
You are now free to move about the cabin, and continue your prefered diatribes....

"Aggressivlly eccentric, and proud of it!"
Pete B6K
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #29 on: March 26, 2003, 07:02:26 PM »

I'd just like to say that my comments weren't intended as an insult to anyone here. While we may disagree on things, it makes a great change to have debates with people who can make intelligent points.

I was just making the point that there are ignorant people on both sides, and that while I really value Moore's books/film, I am able to see the truth among the misrepresentations, and view him with a safe level of skepticism.

And I just had a look at Ann Coulter's site. Eugh. It didn't take long at all to find out what a sickeningly racist and nationalistic b***h she is.

I'm completely confused as to who these US political commentators/celebrities are. Al Franken? Alan Coombs? Rush Limbaugh? Sean Hannity? Michael "Savage" Weiner? Bill O'Reilly? George Will? Bob Dornan?

One guy who I think represents everything Moore should be, is a man named Mark Thomas .  He, like Moore, uses humour to make political points, but he's a lot funnier, and actually tries to make a change and offer ways to improve rather than just asking questions and pointing out the wrongs, as Moore usually does.  He's not the attention-seeker Moore is, and hasn't made any fortune off the back of his political exploits.  Well worth checking out.

Pete
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Michael Moore and his "thank you speech": I'm not too shocked « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.