Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 07:31:40 AM
713394 Posts in 53059 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Question of the Day « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Question of the Day  (Read 1169 times)
Scott
« on: March 27, 2003, 11:00:22 PM »

Here's a question for you. I like Sci-Fi/Horror films that are and aren't considered good, but why or how can a "bad" Sci-Fi or Horror film turn out to be entertaining and yet a "bad" Western (or any other genre) be simply boring?
Brother Ragnarok
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2003, 11:06:33 PM »

I think some of it has to do with the visual aspect.  A bad horror flick like "Buried Alive" that has no real gore or monsters to keep you entertained is just as boring as a bad western or a drama.  A bad monster movie has at least the goofy costume to keep the jokes rolling, and bad sci fi movies have tons of crappy space ships, laser guns, and wobbly corridors to keep the viewer happy.

Brother R

There are only two important things in life - monsters and hot chicks.
    - Rob Zombie
Rape is just cause for murdering.
    - Strapping Young Lad
Scott0
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2003, 11:59:59 PM »

The real life believability of a western, where a man might ride into a town and stand in the town square for a couple minutes can be grueling to sit through. I'm sure there are lots of sci-fi movies that are like that as well, but sci-fi has the advantage of totally unbelievable situations involving alien planets, space ships, ray guns, and giant lobsters attacking small towns. A western pretty much has to stick to one location, during one time era, with limited stories to tell. I guess it would be the novelty of seeing stuff like "grave robbers from outer space!" that makes bad sci-fi more bearable to watch.

Scottie

Kangaroo Jack #1 in the box office? Let the revolution against Hollywood begin.
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2003, 09:51:25 AM »

I can think of some boring sci-fi.

DUNE, for example, is more painful to sit through than any boring western I have ever seen.

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
Ken Begg
B-Movie Site Webmaster
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2003, 10:44:42 AM »

One of my 'rules' of what constitutes a 'bad' movie is that it fails at what it's trying to do.  This skews the entertainment value of a bad movie to certain genres.  Horror movies are supposed to scare you.  When they utterly fail, the effect is comedic.  The same with films meant to awe you (sci-fi), make you cry (dramas), make you think ('message' movies), ect.

The worst genre to watch bad examples of is comedies.  They're meant to make you laugh.  When they don't, it's just painful.  Bad westerns are on that side of the fence, too, at least generally.  A western is usually meant to be an exciting flick.  Therefore the opposite of that is often just boredom.  Horror and sci-fi films can be just as boring, but usually there's at least a monster or something to look at.
Bernie
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2003, 01:06:05 PM »

Ken, exactly!  A bad comedy is just worthless.  That's why one of the worst of the Rhino MST releases (IMHO) is Catalina Caper.  It just sits there, so smarmily (is that even a word?) pleased with itself.  Joel & the bots try their damndest but there's precious little they can do with it.
Flangepart

« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2003, 01:21:44 PM »

Oh, God yes! Never try to MST a comedy. It just lays there, and reeks. True, "Wild,wild world of Batwomen" had babes in, to quote Mike, "40 pounds of butt in 30 pound butt capasity pants"....but, man did they have their work cutout for them.
Still, when a film does not acheve its stated purpose (Scare-excite-be funny ect.), it leaves its self open for riffing. Lemons into lemonade, as the saying goes....

"Aggressivlly eccentric, and proud of it!"
Scott
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2003, 08:44:41 PM »

1) So the verdict seems to be that Sci/Horror has more to offer when things go wrong.

2) The intention of the filmmaker determines success and failure, but can result in good viewing if in the Sci/Horror catagory
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Question of the Day « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.