Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 04:37:52 AM
714232 Posts in 53092 Topics by 7736 Members
Latest Member: ShayneGree
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Recent Viewings « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Recent Viewings  (Read 5450 times)
Andrew
Administrator
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

I know where my towel is.

« on: April 02, 2003, 01:11:01 PM »

I ran into a small treasure mine at CD Warehouse lately and in Blockbuster's used section lately.   Ended up buying a bunch of movies for about $6 each, plus I picked up a couple of more "mainstream" films for $10-$12.

Carnivore - A secret government genetic lab is hidden away in a "haunted" house.  The creature, which can speak in a hissing voice and looks like the missing link between fish, ape, and man, kills the scientist who created it and gets loose.   A crack government team of two goons and the female project manager are sent to secure the house.  Meanwhile, a group of "kids" looking for a place to party go into the house.  

This movie is really odious with awful comic situations.  Also, it has a copyright date of 2001, but everything screams of the late 80's.  Hair, cars, the uzi, you name it.

Lesson Learned:
Government spooks are not trained in how to change a tire.

Shark Hunter - A huge research sub is sent to investigate a destroyed underwater facility.  And I do mean huge.  The thing looks to be as big as a ballistic missile submarine.  Aboard is Spencer, the man who supposedly designed and built the submarine by himself and has a fierce hate of prehistoric sharks (one ate his mom and dad).  Guess what ate the underwater facility?  A Megalodon!  

I am to understand that Antonio Sabato Jr. (Spencer) is considered to be an actor?  Half of his acting in this film involved swallowing a lot while saying his lines.  After a little while the effect is enough to make one nauseous.  Contrast this to the main female character, her role involved a lot of teeth gritting and panting.  I would also like to point out that the moment they mentioned the minisub had hydrogen fuel cells, I knew what was going to happen to the shark.  On a brighter note - I did think the shark looked cool.  Much better than the sharks in "Deep Blue Sea."

Lesson Learned:
You can use a drysuit to dive in water over 1900 feet deep.

The Fly II
Brundle's child is owned by a large corporation.  He grows at a phenomenal rate and displays amazing intelligence.  However, he begins to learn that the man he has always called father, the company's president (CEO, something like that) is just using him.

You know, this is pretty darn good for a sequel.  The fully transformed fly is well done, none of the characters drive you nuts, and even the many scenes with Martin Brundle as a child were not bad.  The mutated dog was also freaky, but a good part of the story.

Andrew Borntreger
Badmovies.org
mr. henry
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2003, 03:59:55 PM »

i agree...The Fly II...a pretty good sequel of a really good remake...sounds like a the name of a new message board thread...

"to be is to do" - Socrates
"to do is to be" - Jean-Paul Sartre
"do be do be do" - Frank Sinatra
- kurt vonnegut

Evan3
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2003, 06:54:53 PM »

Yes, I too enjoyed the Fly 2, but regrettably did not stay awake til the end. The dog was a creature to be pitied. However it was a little too campy to make it good. Jeff Goldblum was a much better actor than the man in this one.

"Sir, if you were my husband, I would poison your drink."

--Lady Astor to Winston Churchill

"Madam, if you were my wife, I would drink it."

--His reply
jmc
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2003, 02:42:10 AM »

CARNIVORE is one of those $6 videos I've spotted at Wal-Mart.  

I've also seen INVENTING THE ABBOTS there in that same bin....you know, the one where Jennifer Connelly gets naked.
Squishy
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2003, 05:40:27 AM »

"Carnivore"--What an ugly little thing. Was it Siskel, or Ebert, who was bat**** about this one? I think it was Ebert. Foywonder wanted proof of my (joking) claim at Ebert is either brain-damaged or on the take; voila. Brief shining moment: Alfred E. Neuman!

"Shark Hunter"--Jabootu and Ziggy (see the IMDB "external reviews") both review it with surprisingly nice things to say about it. Oh, don't get me wrong, they think it sucks, but not as badly as "Shark Attack 3."

"The Fly II"--True, no one's going to mistake this one for the original. But the monster itself is even more impressive, the henchmen's deaths (by acid-vomit-facial and elevator-to-the-head) are genuinely horrifying, and Jon Getz' character is still a delightfully nasty crank, but now sympathetic. Some fine moments, but often way too implausible and, in the end, unsatisfying.
Evan3
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2003, 03:58:07 PM »

jmc wrote:

> CARNIVORE is one of those $6 videos I've spotted at Wal-Mart.
>  
>
> I've also seen INVENTING THE ABBOTS there in that same
> bin....you know, the one where Jennifer Connelly gets naked.

HOW NAKED DOES SHE GET!!! I have to admit, Jennifer Connelly, Britney Spears, Charlize Theron and my girlfriend are the hottest people I know.

I have seen Charlize naked (Charlize Theron is in 2 playboys, briefly in Devil's Advocate) but the chance to add another to the list is amazing. What is this movie even about??????

Post Edited (04-04-03 13:17)

"Sir, if you were my husband, I would poison your drink."

--Lady Astor to Winston Churchill

"Madam, if you were my wife, I would drink it."

--His reply
Brother Ragnarok

« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2003, 04:55:21 PM »

Carnivore was made somewhere around 86, and was never released until now for...obvious reasons.
I love Megalodon stuff, so I'll have to check out Shark Hunter.  I laughed so hard during Shark Attack 3 I nearly p**sed myself.
The mutant dog in Fly 2 always makes me really depressed because I love dogs and even though it's just a slimy puppet it's so damn sad.

Brother R

There are only two important things in life - monsters and hot chicks.
    - Rob Zombie
Rape is just cause for murdering.
    - Strapping Young Lad
Andrew
Administrator

I know where my towel is.

« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2003, 07:53:48 PM »

Brother Ragnarok wrote:

> Carnivore was made somewhere around 86, and was never
> released until now for...obvious reasons.

I had decided that something like this must have been the case.  Guessing it was 87 or 88, because they mention "Robocop."

"Shark Hunter" was not all that boring, in its own misguided way, but only because I appreciate such movies.  The acting was amazingly bad throughout and the plot not much better.  Good shark though (I keep harping on that).

Andrew Borntreger
Badmovies.org
JohnL

« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2003, 12:28:35 AM »

>I've also seen INVENTING THE ABBOTS there in that same bin....you know, the
>one where Jennifer Connelly gets naked.

The one where Jennifer Connelly get naked... Oh yeah, that really narrows it down. :)

>HOW NAKED DOES SHE GET!!! I have to admit, Jennifer Connelly, Britney
>Spears, Charlize Theron and my girlfriend are the hottest people I know.

Sounds like you might be interested in the Celebrity Nudity DataBase;

CNDB
Squishy
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2003, 04:45:59 AM »

Oh, I totally screwed up. Andrew wrote "Carnivore," I thought "Carnosaur." Sorries, sorries. Need more sleep. The IMDB doesn't list it, but the Official Site has all details of the delay, the trailer, and some nice stills.
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Recent Viewings « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.