Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 11:22:36 AM
713348 Posts in 53056 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Worst make-up, special effects, props, or sets « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Worst make-up, special effects, props, or sets  (Read 4642 times)
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« on: April 03, 2003, 11:28:00 AM »

We all know that some movies are really cheap and therefore must use bottom-of-the-barrel make-up, special effects, props, or sets.  What are your favorite examples? Here are just a few of mine:

* PLAN 9 FROM OUTER SPACE - This one is obvious. From the cheesy flying saucers on strings to the ridiculous graveyard set, this movie may be the king of cheapo production methods.

* MARS NEEDS WOMEN - How did the actors ever keep straight faces while they were wearing those silly space suits with the big antenna ears?

* SANTA CLAUS CONQUERS THE MARTIANS - The scenes at the North Pole remind me of the Brady Bunch episode where Peter and Bobby shook pieces of torn paper out of a box to simulate "snow."

* JUDGE DREDD - I KNOW it was based on a comic book, but Stallone looked really stupid in his cop uniform. REALLY stupid.

* THE CORE - The special effects were state-of-the-art . . . for 1977, that is.

Keep the list growing . . .

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
Fearless Freep

« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2003, 12:09:17 PM »

The sock puppet snakes from "Robot Holocaust"
The muffin tin adorned space suit and beach ball alien from "Dark Star"

=======================
Going places unmapped, to do things unplanned, to people unsuspecting
Creepozoid
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2003, 12:23:29 PM »

the spaceship in STAR CRYSTAL
peter johnson
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2003, 02:19:21 PM »

Oh, man, what a category --
Too many to mention, really . . . I love obvious rubber snakes & monsters & spiders, etc., but for makeup/props/sets, here are some killers:
The Wasp Woman mask in Roger Corman's Wasp Woman -- No attempt was made to hide the very very obvious zipper up the back of it.  In fact, there is a long scene shot from behind her as she's killing some guy, and the camera practically lingers on how fake it all is.  I love this movie.  Love it, love it, love it!!
The burlap cave wall in EEGAH!.  This is such a great bad picture anyway, but really, not only is the stone wall in EEGAH's cave made of painted burlap, there is a looong scene where it is very obviously peeling off the plywood wall, and you can clearly see the wood underneath.  Now that's special!!
peter johnson
Funk, E.
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2003, 04:28:36 PM »

Jeez... That is a hard one. Darkstar is REALLY cheesy FX wise.
The mirror monster in Conan the Destroyer was pretty sad.
Err... Flesh Gordon... or Flash Gordon for that matter.
In fact just about any de laurentice film has stellar FX
Cullen
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2003, 04:38:17 PM »

The Dinosaur in It's Alive is a man in a mime's costume with ping pong ball eyes.  It's hard to top that.

Cullen - Super Genius, Novelist, and all in all Great Guy.
Damien01
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2003, 06:19:47 PM »

Return of the Jedi... The Rancor Pit... (I'm talking about the 1983 movie not the digial paint job either) How bad was that!!!
Brother Ragnarok

« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2003, 07:58:36 PM »

To be fair to Dark Star, it was supposed to be goofy.
How about the silly grinning marionette spider from Horrors of Spider Island?
The dinosaur puppets from Attack of the Supermonsters?
*shudder* Gaborah from Godzilla's Revenge?
The zombies with what looks like **** on their faces from City of the Walking Dead?

Brother R

There are only two important things in life - monsters and hot chicks.
    - Rob Zombie
Rape is just cause for murdering.
    - Strapping Young Lad
Andrew
Administrator

I know where my towel is.

« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2003, 08:04:06 PM »

I have to put in a vote for both "Starcrash" and "Robot Holocaust."  In one you have the Lite-Brite cosmos and all the spikey weapons.  In the other what appears to be sock puppets covered with glitter are killer (cybernetic?) snakes.  Memory fails a little, but was glitter an often-used effect in "Robot Holocaust."

And bad CGI looks really awful.  Apply as needed, but give me a silly monster suit or puppet any day over bad CGI.

Andrew Borntreger
Badmovies.org
Scott0
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2003, 08:31:14 PM »

Robot Monster.............. nuff said :p

Kangaroo Jack #1 in the box office? Let the revolution against Hollywood begin.
Fearless Freep

« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2003, 08:33:16 PM »

Return of the Jedi... The Rancor Pit... (I'm talking about the 1983 movie not the digial paint job either) How bad was that!!!

Sheer master work  compared to "Metalstorm: The Destruction of Jared-Syn" or "Megaforce" for bad blue screen work

=======================
Going places unmapped, to do things unplanned, to people unsuspecting
Creepozoid
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2003, 11:09:29 PM »

Andrew wrote:
>
> And bad CGI looks really awful.  Apply as needed, but give me
> a silly monster suit or puppet any day over bad CGI.

A-F*CKING-MEN
Squishy
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2003, 05:13:44 AM »

"Robot Monster" and "Plan Nine" place television parts and antennas on top of rickety wooden tables and DARE to suggest that it's futuristic technology. Ballsy, if nothing else...

"Space Mutiny." It's one thing to have crap effects and sets. It's a whole new level to swipe someone else's effects AND shoot an undisguised old beat-up factory or water-treatment facility as if it were a spaceship interior AND suggest that duffed-up weak electric carts are some sort of "landspeeder." Methane? ("Oh no! How are they going to fill their cows?")

Sorry, I've seen good CGI and I've seen bad CGI. And then, I've seen "Reptilicus." That puppet is totally effing useless, and the American-version "animated effects" make me burst into tears every time. Sifl and Olly convinced me that they were alive; Reptilicus just dangled and wobbled.

"The Beginning of the End." Recipe: Take pictures of skyline, add live bugs. Burn in furnace. In fact, Bert I. Gordon's cut-up photo "mattes," superimposed crickets and diaper-men, and make-up jobs (ever seen "The Cyclops?") constitute some of the worst stuff, ever. "King Dinosaur" is just...just...oy. (angrily) OY!!!
Damien01
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2003, 10:32:41 AM »

Fearless Freep... Sure... but with all that money dumped into Return of the Jedi, you would think they would be able to merge Luke and the Rancor better and if you think it couldnt be dont then you havent seen Flesh Gorden 1972 "Flesh vs the Beetle Man" the fight looks 10 times better...
jmc
« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2003, 10:54:57 AM »

THE KILLER SHREWS..."Eh, let's just put masks on these dogs, no one will ever know!"
Pages: [1] 2
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Worst make-up, special effects, props, or sets « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.