Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 06:10:15 PM
714380 Posts in 53096 Topics by 7742 Members
Latest Member: KathleneKa
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Westerns = Horror ? « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Westerns = Horror ?  (Read 1806 times)
Scott
« on: April 08, 2003, 04:18:22 PM »

Can anyone here able to equate Westerns as a type of Horror film. Thinks about these things when considering Westerns beside the action parts. Here are some of the elements.

1) Gunfighters that are like killing machines
2) Coffins
3) Buried Up to your Neck
4) Dragged by horses
5) Guns, knives, axes, dynamite, slingshots
6) Hangings
7) Whippings
8) Blood
9) Rape
10) Murder
11) A horde of enemies

DEATH RIDES A HORSE made me think a little more about it. Its starts out with a horror atmosphere. I think the difference is Horror is more Psychopathic (without reason or abnormal reasoning) and Westerns are based more on Revenge. Sometimes the difference can't be seen.
Chadzilla
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2003, 04:35:40 PM »

I think the western as horror movie could work, if they would just try to treat the material seriously.  High Plains Drifter seems a good attempt at a horror themed western.

Chadzilla
Gosh, remember when the Internet was supposed to be a wonderful magical place where intelligent, articulate people shared information? Neighborhood went to hell real fast... - Anarquistador
Scott
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2003, 05:14:14 PM »

I also think that Westerns have Machismo, Pusuit of Gold (wealth), and Revenge as elements that a Horror film dosn't have.
Chadzilla
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2003, 05:33:55 PM »

Uh, revenge plays a big part in some horror movies.  Have you not seen The Abmonible Dr. Phibes, Friday the 13th, or Carrie?  Many other horror movies play on the seeking of revenge for wrongs real or imagined.

Chadzilla
Gosh, remember when the Internet was supposed to be a wonderful magical place where intelligent, articulate people shared information? Neighborhood went to hell real fast... - Anarquistador
Scott
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2003, 09:19:49 PM »

Your right Chadzilla. Vincent Price in bothTHEATER OF BLOOD and the PHIBES movies are definately revenge films.
yaddo42
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2003, 08:14:19 PM »

Most serious western attempts at horror have involved ghost story elements, like INTO THE BADLANDS or GRIM PRARIE TALES. Even HIGH PLAINS DRIFTER is a ghost tale of sorts.

But there are horror elements that could work in a well written western tale: cannibalism (RAVENOUS, the Donner party, and Wendigo tales touch on this), witchcraft and shamanism (Indians could channel spirits or demons to seek revenge for massacres or to get back at crooked indian agents who sold rotten meat or let tribes starve), zombies (revived by said witchcraft or shamanism or tormented souls rising en masse after being wiped out by disease or the military. Some have said gunfighters were the serial killers and sociopaths of their day (although with greatly inflated tales of body counts). From what I've read John Wesley Hardin would certainly qualify. So the elements are there.

Tony Hillerman has made a cottage industry out of his Chee and Leaphorn mysteries set on and around a reservation in the Southwest. I don't see why horror in a western setting and timeframe couldn't work. Surely we can do better than JESSE JAMES MEETS FRANKENSTEIN'S DAUGHTER and BILLY THE KID VS DRACULA.
Scott
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Hey, I'm in the situation room ! ! !

« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2003, 07:47:01 PM »

I hear that yaddo. I think I heard that John Carpenter is making a horror/western right now.

Chadzilla
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2003, 07:53:47 PM »

Carpenter is a BIG western freak (he considers all his movies to be Westerns on some symbolic level or other).  I think he should five the horror/western another shot.  Ghosts of Mars, while I liked it, could have been much, much better.

Yeah, GoM WAS a western!  It was just set on Mars.

Chadzilla
gecko brothers
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2003, 08:06:21 PM »

hmmm.. I wonder what would from Dusk to Dawn3 be
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Westerns = Horror ? « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.