Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 20, 2024, 08:54:32 AM
714256 Posts in 53092 Topics by 7736 Members
Latest Member: ShayneGree
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Stand by for action! « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Stand by for action!  (Read 1636 times)
Andrew
Administrator
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

I know where my towel is.

« on: April 13, 2003, 02:24:57 PM »

Taking a break from yard work and sanding cabinets.  Wanted to talk about the wonderfully cheesy series "Stingray" by Gerry Anderson.  I recently picked up the DVD box set (time to part with my LDs) and have been watching one twenty-five minute episode per day or so.

First off, I have to say that the crazy situations and plots are awesomely funny.  They would be right at home in a classic Adam West "Batman" episode.  In the first episode, Troy Tempest (the hero) is put on trial by the ruler of an underwater city.  What does the trial consist of?  There is this big dumb fish in a tank that the underwater people worship as a god.  If the fish turns away from Troy within one minute, he is guilty and will be killed!  Hahahaha!  The whole scene is pretty much Troy waving his hands in a "good fish, good fish" motion.  Then it turns away at the last minute.  Homer Simpson:  "Stupid fish!"

In another, the mute mermaid (webbed feet) woman is tied to a stone.  Suspended above the stone is a swordfish!  The swordfish has a rope tied around its tail that has a candle burning through it.  If the mermaid does not talk (the bad guys do not know she is mute) the flame will burn through the rope and the swordfish will drop.

Andrew Borntreger
Badmovies.org
Fearless Freep

« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2003, 02:45:25 PM »

In another, the mute mermaid (webbed feet) woman is tied to a stone. Suspended above the stone is a swordfish! The swordfish has a rope tied around its tail that has a candle burning through it.

Rube Goldfish?

=======================
Going places unmapped, to do things unplanned, to people unsuspecting
StatCat
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2003, 07:15:21 PM »

Always enjoyed Captain Scarlet but I seriously have never sat through an episode of his other shows. Stingray I think is the first one he did right?
Flangepart

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2003, 10:39:00 AM »

He he he he....for some reason, when i hear the theme music, the drum part makes me visulise some british guy furiously banging on bongos, while dressed in suit and tie...i don't know why, i just do.
Weird and colorful, thats The Anderson universe. With theme songs that sound like 60's love songs...on a kid show....never understood that....

"Aggressivlly eccentric, and proud of it!"
Andrew
Administrator

I know where my towel is.

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2003, 10:43:10 AM »

StatCat wrote:

> Always enjoyed Captain Scarlet but I seriously have never sat
> through an episode of his other shows. Stingray I think is the
> first one he did right?

It appears that "Supercar" was his first series, followed by "Fireball XL5" and then "Stingray."  I knew that there was at least one show before "Stingray."

Andrew Borntreger
Badmovies.org
JohnL

« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2003, 04:38:22 PM »

When we first got SciFi, they used to air these shows in the mornings. Of course that was before they decided to fill up the schedule with stuff that was cancelled like 6 months ago.
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964

« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2003, 05:33:51 PM »

I recently bought the Captain Scarlet box set . . . it's classic stuff. Supermarionation is definitely a topic worth discussing.

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
Pete B6K
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2003, 08:37:51 AM »

As a kid I used to watch 'Thunderbirds' all the time. There's a whole lot of scope for mockage in that programme.

It seems theres a live-action film coming out in 2004.

Pete
Flangepart

« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2003, 10:33:43 AM »

Garry Anderson...Good!
Oh, yeah. The MST potential is not to be missed.
"Live Action" Thunderbirds? Thats just don't sound right....Its ain't normal, i tells ya!

"Aggressivlly eccentric, and proud of it!"
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Stand by for action! « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.