Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 12:18:20 AM
714351 Posts in 53095 Topics by 7741 Members
Latest Member: SashaHilly
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Worst Films of 1981 « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: Worst Films of 1981  (Read 6653 times)
JonahFalcon
Dedicated Viewer

« on: April 13, 2003, 05:23:35 PM »

You've got Captain Chaos, wire hangers, Bo, Jerry, Chevy, Edith Massey and
ugly French women popping their boobs!

It's the Worst Films of 1981!

http://www.jonahfalcon.com/1981intro.htm
Damien01
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2003, 09:44:58 AM »

The sad fact is, HEAVY METAL wasn't and isn't very good at all...

I dont think so...
Andrew
Administrator
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

I know where my towel is.

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2003, 10:02:06 AM »

Damien01 wrote:
The sad fact is, HEAVY METAL wasn't and isn't very good at all...

I have come to the realization that Damien and I rarely agree on films.  You and I just seem to be complete opposites.

"Heavy Metal" is pretty enjoyable for me.  First is the B-17 episode, with the rotting corpses tearing their way through the ship.  The best part has to be Sternn's trial though.  All is going well, then Hanover starts changing his tune.

"He'd never do anything illegal..."  -- hehehehe!

"Hanging's too good for him! Burning's too good for him! He should be torn into little bitsy pieces and buried alive!"

Andrew Borntreger
Badmovies.org
Damien01
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2003, 02:16:13 PM »

Thanks Andrew!

If every movie was made to please a movie critic then we wouldnt enjoy anything.

HEAVY METAL was made for the fans of the Mag, and those that enjoy cartoon/rock-n-roll/and other fun stuff that an age group of 16 to 26 could enjoy.
JonahFalcon
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2003, 03:48:58 PM »

I'd say kids 10-12.

I loved Xanadu when I first saw it at age 10, too.

But rationalization doesn't make "Heavy Metal" a good movie.

Most people like it BECAUSE it's bad. Doesn't make it less bad.
Fearless Freep
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2003, 04:19:50 PM »

Huh?  No rationalization, I thought "Heavy Metal"  was good because it was good; cool music and some pretty cool vignettes.

=======================
Going places unmapped, to do things unplanned, to people unsuspecting
JonahFalcon
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2003, 04:26:25 PM »

Cool music? The music is pretty disappointing - Cheap Trick, music that definitely is NOT Iggy Pop at his best, etc, etc.

It flopped for a reason you know. There were TONS more Heavy Metal fans in 1981 than now, trust me - and THEY rejected it.

In 2020, guys like you will be saying how great Heavy Metal 2000 was/is. LOL
Damien01
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2003, 04:40:29 PM »

JonahFalcon, please dont take me as if I'm attacking your view... Its just I dont agree with your insight on "Bad Movies" and compaired to "Worst Films"

I do think many movies has been overlooked for what they are because of that they werent even viewed right...

and to say things like: The sad fact is, HEAVY METAL wasn't and isn't very good at all...

If the movie wasnt and isnt good, then why make a remake? and If you dont like the movie could you tell us why? The movie is rated R and its not ment for Children (its not good idea to compair this  movie with other children cartoons.)

As for Xanadu goes, I havent seen the movie so I couldnt give a fair opion of it.
jmc
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2003, 10:59:47 AM »

The thing is, if I was choosing films from 1981 to watch, I would want to watch most of the films on this list before any of the "best" films of that year.  Well, except maybe for MOMMIE DEAREST and the HEAVEN'S GATE re-release.
Funk, E.
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2003, 03:20:49 PM »

I think the big distinction here for Heavy Metal is between "Bad" and "Worst"

Heavy Metal is a bad movie and we love it for that fact, but I think everyone is contesting that it was one of the "worst" films made in 1981. There are plenty of films that are both bad AND unentertaining to occupy the class of "worst" than Heavy Metal.
JonahFalcon
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2003, 03:47:44 PM »

Who put it as Worst Film of 1981? Just the Worst ANIMATED Film of 1981. Plus, again, it was the biggest hyped animated film at the time, and it was really bad - and audiences didn't flock to it either, INCLUDING fans of the magazine.

Again, the rotten egg theory applies here:

Which stinks worse - a rotten robin's egg or a rotten ostrich's egg?

The only segment I really enjoyed was the fun (if extremely predictable) court martial scene with Captain Stern.

"Not guilty!" (sparkling smile)
jmc
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2003, 04:21:53 PM »

Do you like ANY movies?  Just wondering.
Damien01
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2003, 04:23:27 PM »

Please get to 1982 and I like to see why ET isnt one of the Worst Films of that year, again...

I do think ET was one of the Worst Films of 1982, and could make a decent list to back it up, but it doesnt mean that I'm right. Well, the movie did broke box-office records, so it must be good... Like who am I... When I seen the movie back in 1982 I felt like being the kid that shouts "Hay, the king is naked, dont you people see." (But, then many people still never notice that ET is a very crapy movie with a commericalized script and poor special effects... God, I feel sick just thinking about it!)
JonahFalcon
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2003, 04:30:54 PM »

Of course I do. But I'm not making a list of the BEST films. :)
JonahFalcon
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2003, 04:37:33 PM »

Damien01 wrote:

> Please get to 1982 and I like to see why ET isnt one of the
> Worst Films of that year, again...

Overrated isn't the same as bad, and E.T. was far from being the WORST film of the year. Trust me, there are far worse stinkers in 1982, like Airplane II, The Amityville Horror II, Annie, the Cat People remake, National Lampoon's Class Reunion, Death Wish II, Friday the 13th Part II, Grease II, Halloween III, Hanky Panky, Jinxed!, Megaforce, Night Shift, The Pirate Movie, Porky's, Time Walker (aka Being from Another Planet for MSTies), The Toy, Trail of the Pink Panther and, last but maybe least, Zapped!, starring the immortal Scott Baio.

You think E.T. can top them? Not a chance.

However, E.T. 20th Anniversay Remake was under strong consideration for Worst Reissue/Remake last year.
Pages: [1] 2 3
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Worst Films of 1981 « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.