Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 11:11:53 AM
713347 Posts in 53056 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  What monsters have not been used to potential « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: What monsters have not been used to potential  (Read 4905 times)
Evan3
Bad Movie Lover

« on: April 15, 2003, 12:50:23 PM »

I must say, Hollywood doesnt use some things to make a bad or scary movie that is out there.

A few years ago there was the discovery of an organism called Physteria (and that is a great name for a creature, maybe I will name my son Physteria) that infested the waters of Maryland including the Chesapeake Bay!

Physteria had the ability to change form, from a plant, to a giant claw which would hook into the fish, anbd than it morphed into a leech and drained the fish dry. The few humans who came into contact with it also died slow painful deaths and there is no cure.

So we have a malicious creature, that can change its appearence, sucks blood and can kill humans. Why hasnt anybody made a scary movie of this??? WOULD IT NOT BE COOL????

Here are other things that never seem to be used enough:
Physteria: see above

Bigfoot/Yetis: Are there even any movies about these besides Monsters Inc.?They would be cool and it would be like a werewolf in the frozen tundra. but with the power of a bear.

Dragons: Most attempts at dragons are so lame and they could be so cool. Reign of Fire was a great idea with no follow through.

Scorpions: Ants, mosquitos, spiders all have big movies, but what about scorpions big or small. The one animal that scares The Crocodile Hunter should get some screen time.

Psycho killers: Like Mike Myers or Jason, not too gory (like Leatherface), but very disturbing nonetheless.  Although I like Scream and have seen other recent slashers, the killers are all to confusing. THey just need to be sick, no motives please.

Thats all I can think of. Feel free to add your ideas.

"Sir, if you were my husband, I would poison your drink."

--Lady Astor to Winston Churchill

"Madam, if you were my wife, I would drink it."

--His reply
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2003, 01:06:03 PM »

As for scorpions, there was a movie back in the 1950s called THE GIANT SCORPION, which was a typical 50s giant monster movie. I agree that someone should make a movie about normal sized scorpions, attacking people at a resort hotel or something. (Where the hell is Irwin Allen when you really need him?)

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
Dr. X, Yyz, Sr. .
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2003, 01:32:56 PM »

Stallone: The roaring uninteligable voice of this monster REALLY gets my dander up.....

commercials: These monsters are very scarey. eeeeeeek yaaaaaa!

"Just because you CAN edit doesn't mean you should."

-Tom Servo

Damien01
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2003, 01:37:04 PM »

Bigfoot/Yetis: I think Horror Express is a very good movie about the "Missing Link" or what it seems to be a "Missing Link" other then that, I havent seen many stories about Bigfoot... Except, the one with the Six Million Dollar Man.

Dragons: What can I say, their is why too few "Good" RPG movies... and then many dont even have dragons in them... Dragon Slayer is one of the best "Man vs Dragon" movie. (most of the others suck in RPG standards) As for Reign of Fire... There is a few movies that I think should be longer, and Reign of Fire is one of them.

Scorpions I think Clash of the Titans or Damnation Alley did their best for Scorpions...

Psycho killers: Sorry but I think this has been "Over Killed" there is about 10 to 20 Psycho killers movies out a year (most are direct to video)
Brother Ragnarok

« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2003, 02:47:22 PM »

That physteria creature sounds very very cool.  As for bigfoot, there's Snowbeast, which is an old B&W flick, a touch boring but not too bad.  There's Sasquatch, with Lance Henriksen, which I haven't seen yet.  There's Shriek of the Mutilated, which is reportedly pretty cool.  And then there's Night of the Demon (go to bbm.monoperative.net/reviews/nightofthedemon.html for my review).
I'm sure there are more, but those are off the top of my head.
I think giant squid are underused.  That TV version of The Beast sucked hard, but the book is really good.  Undersea creatures have always fascinated me.

Brother R

There are only two important things in life - monsters and hot chicks.
    - Rob Zombie
Rape is just cause for murdering.
    - Strapping Young Lad
StatCat
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2003, 02:53:29 PM »

I am always hoping one day they'll bring anguirus back to the godzilla series. To me he was never used to his full potential as he would have his ass kicked most of the time.
Funk, E.
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2003, 03:09:31 PM »

I think vampires have been under-utilized. Now before everyone declares me brain dead (teehee) let me clarify (like budda).

There have been plenty of vampire movies, but vampires have been marginalized in terms of their true degree of power to wit.

Immortality. If they had no other special ability something that's been alive since before English was a language is going to be so experienced as to be VERY difficult to out maneuver in every sense of the word (mentally, financially, physically). Highlander demonstrated the power of immortality alone yet vampire’s always act like they were born yesterday.

Strength. Vampires are stronger than human… much stronger. Doesn’t ever seem to do them a damn bit of good.

Durability. Vampires feel no pain (being dead) and regenerate as fast as the T1000 in T2. Why are their chests less resistant to wood stakes than a living humans? You’d think they were made out of tissue paper.

Additional features. These vary from version to version, but just about every interpretation of vampires have them as a supernatural creature with special abilities. These combined with three basic above would create an opponent of such tremendous power as to make the destruction of just one a Herculean feat.
Evan3
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2003, 03:30:57 PM »

Funk E.

Check out the mutated vamps in Blade 2. Their heart is protected by solid bone (cant stab them) and they definitely have tricks up their sleeves (hiding underwater). They are formidable. Plus Dracula 2000 says that Dracula can never truly be killed, just rendered useless.

Brother Rag, I think Giant SSquid would be cool as well, wasnt this movie Deep Rising about them.

Another I thought of was Carrott Top, I could ACTUALLY see him as a killer. Imagine his grinning face as your bloody body slides down the side of a phone booth...... You should have called collect.....

"Sir, if you were my husband, I would poison your drink."

--Lady Astor to Winston Churchill

"Madam, if you were my wife, I would drink it."

--His reply
Cullen
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2003, 03:44:54 PM »

Bigfoot/Yetis: Are there even any movies about these besides Monsters Inc.?

A ton of Bigfoot movies came out in the Seventies, such as Bigfoot , Capture of Bigfoot , The Werewolf and the Yeti (also known as Night of the Howling Beast ), and
Snowbeast .  A bigger list can be found here .

As a rule of thumb, Bigfoot=Bad Movie.  One of the best, in my faulty opinion, is The Abominable Snowman.  Written by Nigel Kneale  (the guy who wrote the Quatermass stories) and directed by Val Guest, it's a fairly intelligent story about an American hunter's attempt to capture a Yeti by any means nessecary.  having it star Peter Cushing doesn't hurt, either.

Dragons: Most attempts at dragons are so lame and they could be so cool. Reign of Fire was a great idea with no follow through.

You could stretch a point and call Godzilla a dragon...

Or not.

Scorpions: Ants, mosquitos, spiders all have big movies, but what about scorpions big or small.

Don't know why there aren't more Scorpion movies.  A recent giant Scorpion movie would be Tail Sting .  I can't recommend this one except as MST3K-type fodder.  It's not painful stupid, but dang close.  (The IMdB doesn't list it as out on DVD, but it is, if you really need to see it.)

Cullen - Super Genius, Novelist, and all in all Great Guy.
Chadzilla
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2003, 04:32:15 PM »

Is the title of a new low-budget thriller starring Lance Henriksen (sp?) as a Great White Hunter type who starts an Ass Kicking Contest with the beastie.  Or so I think.  I should be getting it from Netflix tomorrow, can't wait to see it.  :-)

Ken Begg reviewed it as a Video Cheese.

Post Edited (04-15-03 16:33)

Chadzilla
Gosh, remember when the Internet was supposed to be a wonderful magical place where intelligent, articulate people shared information? Neighborhood went to hell real fast... - Anarquistador
yaddo42
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2003, 11:58:39 PM »

I could swear I saw a blurb about a a DTV flick about a mutant snakehead fish. Those predator fish that were intentionally exterinated not too long ago. Either we need monster flicks about them or giant killer gar fish, which are like freshwater barracuda.
tralallog
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2003, 12:35:50 AM »

i would say the weather balloon like on that series "the prisoner"
JohnL

« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2003, 05:22:47 AM »

>Bigfoot/Yetis: Are there even any movies about these besides Monsters Inc.?

When I was much younger, The Curse of Bigfoot scared the crap out of me. Some students go on a field trip up a mountain, find a selaed cave and discover a large clay-covered body. They bring it back with them and during the night it revives to be a bigfoot like creature that goes on a rampage. Don't get me wrong, this film is bad, half of it looks like a school science film from the 50's, and all the night scenes look like they were filmed in broad daylight. It played into my fears of long-dead things coming back to life though.

The original Legend of Boggy Creek was also quite creepy.

I also recall seeing a movie with a couple people returning to their family's abandoned house in the swamp and being attacked by some kind of bigfoot/swamp monster. That MIGHT have been the 80's sequel to Boggy Creek, but I'm not sure. Anyone know?
Brother Ragnarok

« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2003, 05:38:04 AM »

The sequel to Boggy Creek involves the standard "professor and students go looking for bigfoot and find him" plot, no returns to abandoned cabins unless you're thinking of Crenshaw's place on the river.  Boggy Creek 2 is essentially a tamed-down version of Night of the Demon, with the prof. regaling his students of stories of sightings or killings as the case may be so the audience can have some bigfoot action before the cast actually meets the creature.

Brother R

There are only two important things in life - monsters and hot chicks.
    - Rob Zombie
Rape is just cause for murdering.
    - Strapping Young Lad
Pete B6K
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2003, 07:20:04 AM »

You mention bigfoot and dragons, and the only films that spring to mind with those two are 'Bigfoot and the Hendersons' and 'Pete's Dragon', so those monsters have lost all their scare wiith me.

I think a gory Ewok horror would make a good addition to the Lucas library.

And how about a mutated radioactive marine. I'm sure a few of you would really enjoy that. It could be called 'Semper Die', or maybe something less lame.

Pete
Pages: [1] 2
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  What monsters have not been used to potential « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.