Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 02:48:04 PM
714240 Posts in 53092 Topics by 7736 Members
Latest Member: ShayneGree
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  The Curse of the Swamp Creature « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: The Curse of the Swamp Creature  (Read 2062 times)
Vince
« on: April 22, 2003, 12:19:00 PM »

One of my favorite movies....Wish it was on DVD----did find it on VHS...anyone else like it?
Dunners
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2003, 01:15:48 PM »

curse of the swamp creature? whats it about? when did it come out?
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2003, 02:17:17 PM »

CURSE OF THE SWAMP CREATURE used to be on the local "Creature Feature" show (here in Massachusetts) quite a bit. I remember watching it several times as a kid back in the 1970s.

"Creature Feature" was on Saturday nights around 7:00 or 8:00. It showed mostly "giant" monster movies (like GODZILLA and WAR OF THE GARGANTUAS), as well as "science gone wild" type monsters (like CURSE OF THE SWAMP CREATURE). It seemed like they only had about a dozen movies and they kept showing them over and over again throughout the year.

Immediately following "Creature Feature," (at about 9:00 or 10:00) they had "Tales of the Unknown." It showed mostly normal-sized monsters like THE WOLF MAN, THE MUMMY, FRANKENSTEIN, etc.

I used to look forward to Saturday nights for these classic double-features.

Anyway, back to CURSE OF THE SWAMP CREATURE. I remember when I was a kid, I waited impatiently for the scene where the swamp creature reached up out of his tank to grab a turtle. Its hand would pull the turtle back inside the tank, and then you would hear crunching sounds while it ate the turtle's shell. I got a real kick out of that when I was 6 or 8 years old. Maybe that's why I turned out to be the way I am . . .

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
Chris K.
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2003, 03:33:57 PM »

CURSE OF THE SWAMP CREATURE is a 1966 sci-fi/horror film made for television by Larry Buchanan and released by American International Pictures-TV (A.I.P.-TV). It is basically an uncredited remake (Buchanan called it a "spin-off", and I can see it that way too) of the American International Pictures film VOODOO WOMAN (1958).

Currently it's available on video via Somethign Weird Video taken from the 16mm TV print. However, MGM does own the film as well and recently showed it on AMC, remastered from the 16mm negative. MGM also owns the other Buchanan/A.I.P.-TV films. Hopefully, MGM will give CURSE OF THE SWAMP CREATURE a DVD release under their Midnite Movies label, but don't expect it anytime soon.

Foywonder
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2003, 09:05:19 PM »

Actually, from what I understand, the movie has fallen into public domain as most of Buchanan's late 60s AIP-TV movies have.
Chris K.
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2003, 09:40:57 PM »

MGM bought the American International Pictures film vault and, according to some sources, they do own most of the A.I.P.-TV Larry Buchanan films. Of course, their are some exceptions (i.e., Susan Hart, A.I.P. producer James H. Nicholson's daughter, owns a few of the early A.I.P. 50's flicks. Other A.I.P. titles have gone to other distributors, for example Something Weird Video owns GOLIATH AND THE DRAGON and VOYAGE TO THE PREHISTORIC PLANET). And like I said, MGM issued CURSE OF THE SWAMP CREATURE on AMC and one person who saw it told me that before the film started the MGM lion logo appeared before the A.I.P.-TV logo. So again, that should tell us something.

But as I said before, don'e expect CURSE OF THE SWAMP CREATURE to be out on DVD anytime soon.
Foywonder
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2003, 11:56:05 AM »

Well, somebody better tell RetroFilm.com and DesertIsleFilms.com (two companies that specialize in distributing broadcast quality tapes of public domain movies to TV stations) because they still distribute pretty much all of Buchanan's movies.
Haze
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2003, 10:30:51 AM »

Sounds like haphazard tripe to me... perfect for me I think.
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  The Curse of the Swamp Creature « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.