Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 02:28:31 AM
714230 Posts in 53092 Topics by 7734 Members
Latest Member: BlackVuemmo
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  "Gor" - buffed up phyics teachers « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: "Gor" - buffed up phyics teachers  (Read 2205 times)
Fearless Freep
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« on: April 22, 2003, 06:51:38 PM »

Saw Gor last night.  It was a bit of fairly low pain fun.  ot took itself too seriously, though so it wasn't nearly as fun as, say, "The Barbarians".

It remined me a lot of some old books where a guy from "our modern world" bumps his head and ends up in another fantasy world (John Carter of Mars, Tomas Covenant The Unbeliever, etc..).  I know the movie was based on a book so I wasn't suprised, just recognized the sub-genre.

Jack Palance gets third billing for an afternoon's worth of shooting to set up the sequel.  Barely has any lines.

The 'hero' goes from scrawny physics professor to buffed up and bare-chested, sword swinging hero in about a week, courtesy of a minute long montage.   Whatever exercise plan he was on he should remember because he'll make a killing on late night TV.  

Actually, the hero really didn't do much heroic that couldn't have been done just as well by any of the locals.  Inexplicably, he does get special treatment at the hands of the Evil Overlord(tm) so I guess he uses that to advantage.  This is very confusing as before they met, the hero accidentally and stupidly killed the EO's son and the EO was torturing "a hindred men, women, and children" until he could be captured.  So why the EO gets all buddy-buddy with the hero. trying to impress him and win him over, makes no sense because as far as he knows, the hero is just some guy who killed his son.   The EO's behavior makes no sense, other than fir plot advancement, I guess.

One other amusing bit was when the hero is beating his sword against a chain to free a prisoner, the actor seems to grunt randomly; unconnected with his blows

Fairly rediculous story, but not tyhe worse I'v seen in the fantasy genre.  Turn off your common sense if you want to waste an hour and a half with this one.

=======================
Going places unmapped, to do things unplanned, to people unsuspecting
JohnL
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2003, 11:11:24 PM »

>I know the movie was based on a book so I wasn't suprised

Actually, there's a whole series of Gor books, like 50 or so. There's speculation that John Norman is just a generic name and that many authors have written Gor books. Basically, the whole series is just an excuse for scenes of female slavery.
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  "Gor" - buffed up phyics teachers « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.