Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 08:41:23 PM
713374 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  SKP's Anime Review: Darkside Blues « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: SKP's Anime Review: Darkside Blues  (Read 816 times)
Shounen Kakumei Pikachu
Dedicated Viewer

« on: April 28, 2003, 09:23:47 AM »

Finally I find some anime dserving a review here.  Well, actually I saw this one some time ago and am only writing a review of it now.  And no, I have not stolen any trademarks from other boards (any who post on the Scifilm message board should be aware of who I am now)

I honestly cannot give a storyline.  There is no coherent storyline to speak of.  Let me try summing it up anyhow...in the future, the world is ruled over by a huge corporation ruled over by the faceless Persona.  All that Persona has yet to purchase is a segment in the Himalayas (or some other mountain range: I forget exactly where) and that, of course, is where a group of freedom fighters are based.

This movie takes place in a burrough in Tokyo, where a few freedom fighters are meeting.  Into this unrest comes Darkside, a telepath who has no discernible purpose in the story--he cures lives ruined by nightmares.

The animation is rather good, but that's about the only good thing I can really speak of in this abomination of a movie.

The biggest problem I have with this movie is the fact that it ends too abruptly.  At the screening I attended, I had to go to the toilet towards the end, so I went thinking I wouldn't miss a thing.  I came out, and everyone was being let out of the lecture theatre that was being used.  And when I asked about it on a message board, they said that the good guys still ran when they were in a favourable position against Persona.  Uh....come again?

My appraisal was confirmed when I read a review on Anime on DVD where the reviewer was confused by quotes in favour from sources such as Animerica.  Actually, I think they were the ones who said that the nonexistent appeal of this movie was impossible to describe (sounds more like they couldn't figure it out either).

I suggest bypassing this movie and reading the original novel (if you can understand Japanese--and I can't) or just going for Ghost in the Shell or Akira (heck, even Appleseed) if you want films with revolutionaries.
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  SKP's Anime Review: Darkside Blues « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.