Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 06:40:52 PM
714247 Posts in 53092 Topics by 7736 Members
Latest Member: ShayneGree
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Some news on Mel Gibson's "The Passion" (2004) « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Some news on Mel Gibson's "The Passion" (2004)  (Read 1623 times)
Neville
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« on: April 29, 2003, 12:50:54 PM »

I can't wait to see this one... well, I think watching the trailer will be more than enough. OK, the news are that Gibson has already finished shooting his biopic on Jesus Christ, the one that is spoken in Aramaic, Latin and Hebrew. But the problem now is that they can't find a distributor. Apart from the obvious language problem, looks like the crucifixion scene is quite gory.

Due to the horrifying nature of this film, no one will be admitted to the theatre.
Chadzilla
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2003, 01:19:36 PM »

Say what you will, he spent his own money making the movie.  Some 25 million of it.

As far as the language barrier stuff, Kevin Costner faced similar problems with Dances With Wolves.  Of course, that movie was subtitled.  Gibson doesn't want subtitles.  Why I cannot say, I don't know.  But American distributors are reluctant to release foreign language movies because, you know, watching movies in foreign languages is just so, foreign.

Post Edited (04-29-03 13:22)

Chadzilla
Gosh, remember when the Internet was supposed to be a wonderful magical place where intelligent, articulate people shared information? Neighborhood went to hell real fast... - Anarquistador
raj

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2003, 01:39:20 PM »

Yes, viewers would have to pay attention to inflection, gestures, remember what  had already happened in  the movie, and have some idea of the story line.  Good god,  they might actually have to . . . to. . .think.  Can't possibly succeed here.  And no car chases or big explosions.  Though a gory crucifixtion. . .
Fearless Freep

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2003, 01:40:37 PM »

It helps if you read the book ahead of time

=======================
Going places unmapped, to do things unplanned, to people unsuspecting
Skaboi
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2003, 02:33:10 PM »

I've just recently started to read info on this flick, and it looks quite interesting.  I was under the impression that it would be subtitled, but now that I know that it will not be, I'm even more psyched!  Can't wait for this flick!
JohnL

« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2003, 10:41:24 PM »

>Yes, viewers would have to pay attention to inflection, gestures, remember what
>had already happened in the movie, and have some idea of the story line.

Yes, but that won't help if two characters are sitting talking. Are they discussing a plan, making small talk about the weather, relaying an important plot point?

Try this test; how muh of the movie Incubus would you understand if it didn't have subtitles?
Dolph Lundgren
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2003, 11:34:45 PM »

I think the movie sounds interesting, but personally, I just can't wait for Mad Max 4.  Sorry to change the theme of the topic, but it's true.  Anyways, I'm sure they'll be able to find a distributor.  Look at what happened with Rob Zombie and House of 1,000 Corpses.  It just takes the right studio that will actually take a chance with a movie.  Mel Gibson's actually still a bankable star, so I'm sure he can get some studio to take a chance on this one.  Gibson's decision not to use subtitles is definitely interesting.  Sounds like he might be taking more of a visual approach to the storytelling, like raj suggested.  I'd crack up if this movie somehow turned out to be like the Patriot, though.  

Nick
Fearless Freep

« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2003, 10:06:06 AM »

Jesus rallys the disciples for a last desperate battle against a Roman army that has them hopelessly outnumbered and out trained...I dunno

=======================
Going places unmapped, to do things unplanned, to people unsuspecting
Evan3
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2003, 02:31:43 PM »

Fearless Freep wrote:

> Jesus rallys the disciples for a last desperate battle against
> a Roman army that has them hopelessly outnumbered and out
> trained...I dunno
>
>

So Jesus, having the sarcastic humor of any Jew, decides to moon the Roman Army a la Braveheart...... "Kiss My Holy Ass Mutha f**ka"

"Sir, if you were my husband, I would poison your drink."

--Lady Astor to Winston Churchill

"Madam, if you were my wife, I would drink it."

--His reply
Chadzilla
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2003, 03:30:11 PM »

Cool.  Now all he needs is Danny Glover as his partner to hand him the can o' whoopass and we have classic movie!

Chadzilla
Gosh, remember when the Internet was supposed to be a wonderful magical place where intelligent, articulate people shared information? Neighborhood went to hell real fast... - Anarquistador
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Some news on Mel Gibson's "The Passion" (2004) « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.