Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 08:29:20 AM
714205 Posts in 53091 Topics by 7734 Members
Latest Member: BlackVuemmo
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Anyone seen this? « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Anyone seen this?  (Read 3983 times)
Steve.
« on: June 14, 2001, 02:13:34 PM »

Ken Russell's (Brit. director) "The Devils". What more could you want? - It's hysterical (In both senses of the word) and a tad repulsive. OK then it's very repulsive - if you are of the faith, do not watch this movie. It contains gloating close-ups of Inquisition-style fiendish tortures (carried out with very commendable enthusiasm), hunchbacked, sex-starved nuns, priests who "take advantage" of young ladies at confession, loud, jarring music, copious nudity (both gratuitous and "in context"), all manner of satanic possessions, visitations, Mother Superiors with the hots for Cardinals, and to top it all off - Oliver Reed - a real bundle of fun.
Also check out our Ken's "Lair Of The White Worm" and "Gothic".
Apostic
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2001, 03:11:40 PM »

Had to see Devils for the one time I took a film studies class.  Instructor had a thing for Russell; we were also treated to The Boy Friend.

For our straight male readers, I also point out Russell's Lisztomania.  It has one scene that will make most of you scream out, "My God! I did not need to see that!"  The scene?  Well, let's just say that the main character dreams about having a really big errection, and a well detailed replica of one of his appendages - the size of a Macy's Day float - may be involved....

regards,

Apostic
Steve.
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2001, 04:11:18 PM »

Apostic - hope you're on the mend by the way. "The Boyfriend"? - you certainly drew the short straw there.
peter johnson
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2001, 05:27:53 PM »

The scene from The Devils that stays with me is near the beginning where they have this close-up of wasps in glass bell-jars put on the nuns' flesh to "sting out the Devil".  Insect Fear of major proportions.
Many people know Oliver Reed from this and from Curse of the Werewolf(Hammer), but try to catch him in an earlier black-and-white Hammer suspense film whose name escapes me just now -- I think it has a one-word title.  Anyway, he gives new meaning to the phrase "Chewing the scenery", which is actors' slang for over-acting.
Vermin Boy
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2001, 08:22:18 PM »

This is somewhat off-topic, but does anyone know the origin of the term "chewing the scenery?" I suspect it dates back to a movie where someone actually takes a chomp out of the scenery, but I'd still like to know...
Apostic
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2001, 04:54:15 AM »

"I suspect it dates back to a movie where someone actually takes a chomp out of the scenery, but I'd still like to know..."

This dates back to when extras in Shakespearean plays were payed a small salary plus whatever they could eat during a banquet scene.  Some of the bit playes were so famished, they were literally chewing the scenery in an over enthusiastic display of method acting.

No, not really.

John Carradine used to joke about that, though.

regards,

Apostic
Gerry
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2001, 11:28:00 AM »

Would the earlier Oliver Reed Hammer film you're thinking of be THE TWO FACES OF DR. JEKYLL or THE SWORD OF SHERWOOD FOREST?  He was in both prior to CURSE OF THE WEREWOLF.  Just curious.
Steve.
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2001, 01:57:12 PM »

The earliest Hammer film with Oliver Reed I can find is as "Strong Man" in The Two Faces Of Dr. Jekyll.
peter johnson
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2001, 11:06:42 PM »

No, neither of these is correct --
"Paranoiac"(1962) is the film I was thinking of --
Reed plays a sort of Oedipul man-child who obeys the will of his Nanny, even as the body of his mother(?) rests within the hollow of a tree  . . . and pretty soon all must DIE!!
Reed actually grabs a curtain or tablecloth at one point and pops it in his mouth, snarling and growling like a dangerous beast --
You just have to see it to believe it -- it sort of beggars description ....
I really have no idea where the expression actually comes from.
kyle dusty
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2001, 01:36:39 AM »

i've never seen it..but it sounds pretty funny..i'm sure all the nudity flaunts unaugmented breasts..nowadays fathers and priests probably would love to bless the chest..
BoyScoutKevin
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2001, 02:33:54 PM »

Yes, also "Billion $ Brain," "The Music Lovers," "Tommy," "Valentino," and "Altered States." But, I wouldn't recommend the 1st one. Ken Russell is a much underrated director (IMHO). "Lair of the White Worm" is, of course, reviewed at this site. As for "chewing the scenery" Originally to rave and rant like a madman. Dates back to the time of Shakespeare, if not earlier, when to feign madness, an actor would literally and figuratively get down and chew on the scenery. Enjoy
Steve.
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2001, 03:21:17 PM »

Billion $ Brain has Michael Caine (instant poetry!) which is a good enough reason to give it a miss, apart from the fact that it is a flabby, overwrought mess. "Gothic" is much more like it - featuring debauched "artists", opium/laudanum-induced visions and nightmares, sexual high-jinks and classic novels arising out of all these ingredients. In fact, the more I think about it, the more flabby and overwrought "Gothic" becomes - in other words it's a badmovie well worth seeing.
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Anyone seen this? « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.