Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 10:44:33 PM
714227 Posts in 53092 Topics by 7734 Members
Latest Member: BlackVuemmo
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  "Rebirth of Mothra" and Other Kaiju News « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: "Rebirth of Mothra" and Other Kaiju News  (Read 2823 times)
Squishy
« on: April 30, 2003, 04:21:22 AM »

Hot diggety damn! Right after "Devil Fish" on MST3K, May 31st, The SciFi Channel will air ALL THREE "Rebirth of Mothra" films, including "Mothra 3: King Ghidorah Attacks!," which has never before aired in the US and was never released to video here.

SHE'S BACK, AND SHE'S MAD!
The SciFi Channel will run all three films in Toho's recent Mothra series on May 31. REBIRTH OF MOTHRA airs at 11 am, followed by REBIRTH II at 1 pm and REBIRTH III at 3pm. This will be the first time the English dub of REBIRTH OF MOTHRA III will be shown in the US. American fans have been hoping for a US release because it features the return of classic villain King Ghidorah. Source: Scifi.com

Although they didn't post the SciFi Channel link, I got the info from Monster Zero, who in turn seems to have gotten it from Henshin Online. Visit the Monster Zero link! News of "Gamera 4"--not what you think--a little thing called "Mon Star," and the pending release of "Godzilla: Destroy All Monsters Melee" to XBox. (All well and good--where's the PS2 version?)

GiantMonsterMovies.com reminds us:
"Gamera 2: Attack of Legion" is out on DVD today! "Gamera 3" has its votes, but for my money, "Legion" is the best kaiju flick ever made. It is a masterpiece.

And from such, eh, humble beginnings it came! Also from Henshin Online:

GAMMERA THE INVINCIBLE is coming to DVD from Alpha Video on May 20. This is the original US edit of the film, which contains additional scenes with actors Albert Dekker and Brian Donlevy. DVD bonus features include a poster gallery, lobby cards and photos. Alpha Video also announced plans to release the second Gamera movie, WAR OF THE MONSTERS, on June 24. Both films have a suggested retail price of $6.98.

As for the "Rebirth of Mothra" series: if you haven't heard about 'em, steel yourself--they aren't like most kaiju movies. Even compared to "Godzilla's Revenge" or "Gamera vs Zigra," the "Rebirth" series is kiddie-oriented and flaky, bearing a resemblance to "Power Rangers"-style guff. (Desperate to wedge kids into "Mothra 3," Toho turned King Ghidorah into a kidnapper who teleports children away as he destroys cities, so that he can later siphon off their energy. Yargh. Bizarrely tasteless AND silly.)

However, each "Rebirth" has some enjoyable elements. The various Mothra designs (Rainbow Mothra, Aqua Mothra, Armored Mothra, Lightspeed Mothra--and more!) are pretty wild, and the enemy monsters--mostly variations of Ghidorah--are ugly customers. Besides, how many movies have you seen that show dinosaur puppets doing a double-take? Or display the healing properties of magic Tribble pee?
Foywonder
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2003, 06:48:48 AM »

I must disagree with you. There are no entertaining moments in that first REBIRTH OF MOTHRA movie. None. Zero. Zilch. Nada. It is virtually unwatchable.
Squishy
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2003, 07:12:36 AM »

Well, different strokes and all that. I found the "farewell" scene between the two generations of Mothra (adult and larva) touching, and the scene of the Alias (what the Peanuts/Cosmos/Tiny Girls are called this time around) posing as dolls good for at least a smirk. And the Alias "music video" sequences were colorful eye candy. There is no doubt it's pretty horrible overall, unless you're in just the right mood and actually like the whole super-sentai beam-battle thing...

Monster Zero JUST posted some new info on the next Godzilla flick, now officially titled "Godzilla x Mothra x MechaGodzilla: Tokyo SOS." There are hints dropped that the use of stock footage of Mothra and Gaira in "Godzilla x MechaGodzilla" was no accident--that Mothra's appearance was planned in advance, and perhaps, consequently, Gaira will be appearing in "GMM" or the next film.

Yep, next film. There's apparently going to be a second sequel wrapping up the story. However! Because the current version of MechaGodzilla somehow utilizes the DNA of the Godzilla (that died in Tokyo Bay in "Godzilla, King of the Monsters"--which causes it to get nasty with real estate during "GxMG"), the idea floating around at MZ is that Godzilla's main opponent in the third movie might be the original Godzilla, reborn.

Me, I just want Kaneko to make another one.
Squishy
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2003, 07:28:12 AM »

Oh, I'm in a Godzilla mood tonight--so I found this.

And, Godzilla save my soul, I also found THIS...and LIKED it.

It all starts here.
Cullen
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2003, 09:27:53 AM »

Beaten to the punch again.  I might be upset about it, too, if

I

wasn't

so

tired.

I watched the first two Mothra movies and felt that, had the younger me had seen them, he'd have liked them a great deal.  Of course, Younger Me has found memories of the Crater Lake Monster and Octaman, so take that as you will.  
____________________________________________________________________________________________

Cullen - Super Genius, Novelist, and all in all Great Guy.
Flangepart
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2003, 12:20:40 PM »

Intresting....i'll give 'em a try, for compleatness sake....
But....
I got the second Gamera dvd today! And i bet it lives up to my expectations. Lots of extras, including outtakes. I am a happy Kaiju camper....Man i love the new Gamera,,,kicking ass , and takein' names...
Hey, in Gamera the invincable....dureing the t.v. argument with the three scientest....did not one of those guy remind you of Jonny from "Airplane!" I laughed my ass off, when i made the connection...oh, i gotta get that one...the MST potential is off the scale!

"Aggressivlly eccentric, and proud of it!"
Steven Millan
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2003, 05:11:41 PM »

As much of a massive Asian cinema fan,and giant monster movie mark,that I proudly am,I must admit that I saw part of one of those "Re-Birth Of Mothra" movies at a Suncoast video store(they played it on a TV screen),and five minutes of this kiddie-orientated giant monster jabroni flick(as much as I like Mothra and those tiny chicks)was enough for me to fully endure.
JohnL
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2003, 07:56:33 PM »

>pending release of "Godzilla: Destroy All Monsters Melee" to XBox. (All well and
>good--where's the PS2 version?)

Where's the computer version??? Enough with this console-only crap...
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  "Rebirth of Mothra" and Other Kaiju News « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.