Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 06:49:36 PM
713371 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  "The Forsaken" - again we retell the tale of the teeth « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: "The Forsaken" - again we retell the tale of the teeth  (Read 2368 times)
Fearless Freep
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« on: May 01, 2003, 10:59:06 PM »

Last night's viewing was The Forsaken  Yet another modern reworking of the vampire tale

The basic plot is that Sean is working as a movie trailer editor in California and takes time off to deliever a very nice car (BMW) to Florida, to coincide with his sister's wedding.  Along the way he gets a flat and looses his wallet, so he has to spend the night ina nowhere town in the middle of the desert.  Leaving town the next day, he's approach by a hitch=hiker (Nick) whom he relunctantly agrees to drive for a ways.  Stopping at a resturaunt, they notice a girl who looks sick or drugged.  Nick recognizes something special in her and insist they grabe her and take her to a hotel.  Turns out, as Nick reveals to Sean, she has been bitten by a Vampire and will soon become one if the original vampire can be killed,  Unfortunately, now Sean has been bitten by the girl so he will become a vampire as well if they don't track down and kill the original. So, off the go, using the drugged up girl as physhic bait for the head vampirem trying to find some holy ground to kill him on...all before Sean becomes a vampire, too..

Well, story was, this was a very weak movie.  The borrowed liberally from a number of sources, most notably from John Carpenter's "Vampires" that there is a phsychic link between vampire and victim and that he will use that link to try to find her and the good guys can use that as bait.  Also, the 'turn' that takes several days to a week to accomplish.  Even having Sean bit by the girl and Nick being willing to let the girl die to get to the head vamp.  A bit from Highlander about only being able to kill on Holy Ground (and I think someone mentioned slicing off heads at one point)  The rest they hodge-podged a mess together.  The history of vampires is that they can all be traced back to eight warriors in the crusades who made a deal with the Angel of Death after a battle and drunk the blood of one of their comrades to seal the deal.  OK, not bad. However!  From the supernatural back story, they keep calling it an 'infection' and treating it with drugs like it's a normal disease.  The mix-match between supernatural (angel of death, phychic link) and natural (treatable disease) showed more a lack of thinking the whole thing through than anything else.  Just sloppy writing.

The characters weren't much to speak of, Sean never became sympathetic enough to really feel for te bnad turn his life took, the girl was just druggeed for about the first four fifths of the movie so, again, who cares?  Nick is actually pretty cool, but the head vampire did *not* come across like the 17 century old uber-baddie he should've been.  (like "Modern Vampires", the big bad evil head vampire just didn't measure up to expectations)

There is some beatiful SouthWest sceneray, but this one is for vampophiles only, because the story is not the best out there for modern retellings

=======================
Going places unmapped, to do things unplanned, to people unsuspecting
Hero
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2003, 09:44:16 AM »

Sounds like they wanted to be "Near Dark" or something. I liked "John Carpenter's Vampires", but this just sounds like the kind of thing you fall asleep watching on a Friday night.
Is this the recent one with some WB actors?
Fearless Freep

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2003, 11:11:44 AM »

Is this the recent one with some WB actors?

I think so.  It came out in 2001 but seeing as I don't follow WB, it's hard to place the actors

I liked "John Carpenter's Vampires"

I do, too.  I know a lot of people don't, but comapred to "Modern Vampires" and "The Foresaken", it's quite good.  I have yet to see "Near Dark" but I also liked "Dracula 2000"

=======================
Evan3
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2003, 02:32:36 PM »

Yes, I saw this pile of drek this year, I must admit, I liked the part where they shoot and burn the cop, thats it.

John Carpenter's vampires... I am luke warm on that
Dracula 2000 gets an A +++++++++++++++++++

"Sir, if you were my husband, I would poison your drink."

--Lady Astor to Winston Churchill

"Madam, if you were my wife, I would drink it."

--His reply
JohnL

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2003, 10:23:34 PM »

>Is this the recent one with some WB actors?

Yes, it had the guy who played Michael on the WB's Roswell. Not sure about anyone else although most of the cast was in their early to mid 20's.
Evan3
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2003, 11:04:28 AM »

> >Is this the recent one with some WB actors?
'
Actually Feerless, you be be thinking of Final Destination which had a cast that comprised 50 percent of WB low rent actors. Funny enough, most wouldnt come back for the sequal.......

"Sir, if you were my husband, I would poison your drink."

--Lady Astor to Winston Churchill

"Madam, if you were my wife, I would drink it."

--His reply
Fearless Freep

« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2003, 11:55:53 AM »

Actually Feerless, you be be thinking of Final Destination

Not me, I don't watch WB so I really don't know

=======================
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  "The Forsaken" - again we retell the tale of the teeth « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.