Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 11:33:41 AM
714155 Posts in 53091 Topics by 7732 Members
Latest Member: Larryfiste
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Movies everyone else loves but, you hate « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6
Author Topic: Movies everyone else loves but, you hate  (Read 19971 times)
Johnny Blister
« Reply #45 on: May 16, 2003, 07:19:57 PM »

What´s not to like?It´s a cute,touching story of a boy and his alien buddy,with top-notch FX and the best director at the helm.

And call me a troll.
Chadzilla
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #46 on: May 16, 2003, 07:27:06 PM »

I'll repeat my comment - While I can appreciate the technical artistry of the original (that reissue never happened, IMHO), it remains an overly manipulative and ultimately pointless exercise in tearjerking to me.

Yes the movie is a well made fairy tale.  Nonetheless I found Spielberg's handling of the movie too manipulative to enjoy more than one viewing (believe me, I've tried).  The movie is so cloyingly sweet that I need an insulin IV to even think about it.  It doesn't work for me.  I prefer Alien.

Chadzilla
Gosh, remember when the Internet was supposed to be a wonderful magical place where intelligent, articulate people shared information? Neighborhood went to hell real fast... - Anarquistador
Johnny Blister
« Reply #47 on: May 16, 2003, 07:29:43 PM »

It´s a family movie.But sdo you really consider a movie where the protagonist calls his buddy"penis breath"THAT sweet?
Chadzilla
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #48 on: May 16, 2003, 07:38:28 PM »

s**t man, when I was Elliot's age we kids called each other worse things than that.  Believe me.  Nothing more to say about it.  Bye-bye.

Chadzilla
Gosh, remember when the Internet was supposed to be a wonderful magical place where intelligent, articulate people shared information? Neighborhood went to hell real fast... - Anarquistador
Johnny Blister
« Reply #49 on: May 16, 2003, 07:43:20 PM »

"Shrek"and"The Muppet Movie"proved that family movies CAN be good.

But my friend here(Simon Croix)says that you say that because you like gory slasher,and that E.T. is a work of art.
Chadzilla
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #50 on: May 16, 2003, 07:53:32 PM »

Your 'friend' is mistaken on both levels - my tastes are extremely varied and E.T. is not a work of art.  Just an artfully manipulative tearjerker.  One that gets more and more boring with each viewing.  I find the idea of sitting through The Color Purple or Empire of the Sun more inviting.

Chadzilla
Johnny Blister
« Reply #51 on: May 16, 2003, 08:07:32 PM »

OK,to each his own.
Fearless Freep
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #52 on: May 17, 2003, 02:25:46 PM »

Just an artfully manipulative tearjerker.

I would submit that most movies are intended to be manipulative in one way or another.  Slashers/horror movies are heavily manipulative, as are 'chick flicks', just in different directions.  I don't mind a movie being manipulative; I sorta suspect that at some level any director is trying to manipulate my emotions in some way, otherwise I wouldn't care about their movie. It's just a matter if they are going in the same direction I want to go.  If they are?  great.  If not?  *shrug* I go elsewhere.  No harm done.

If a movie is manipulative and successful, it just means that a lot of people wanted their emotions maniuplated in that way and the movie did it effectively.  Who am I to say they're all wrong?

Post Edited (05-17-03 14:26)

=======================
Going places unmapped, to do things unplanned, to people unsuspecting
Vermin Boy
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #53 on: May 17, 2003, 02:54:56 PM »

I've never quite seen why people rank "Bride of the Monster" up there with "Plan 9" and "Glen or Glenda?" Sure, Bela and Tor are pretty funny, and it has its moments, but I didn't think it was anywhere near as amazing as Wood's other stuff.

-Vermin Boy

My site: The Vermin Cave
My band: The Demons of Stupidity
?????: ?????
jmc
« Reply #54 on: May 18, 2003, 11:53:02 AM »

Amazing how?  

I thought NIGHT OF  THE GHOULS was Wood's most "amazing" in terms of badness.
Johnny Blister
« Reply #55 on: May 18, 2003, 11:56:08 AM »

To me,Ed Wood did only three movies:Glenn Or Glenda,Bride Of The Monster and Plan 9 From Outer Space.

You decided which is superior.
jmc
« Reply #56 on: May 18, 2003, 12:42:55 PM »

For me GLEN OR GLENDA is just too bad to even watch.  I've only seen it once and could hardly get through it.  So I guess that's the superior film in the bad movie sense, but least entertaining.    But I agree that it's his most personal film.  That's part of the problem.
Vermin Boy
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #57 on: May 18, 2003, 12:53:23 PM »

Amazing in the sense of nonsensical dialogue, glaring mistakes, bizarre personal flairs, etc. Those are all present in Bride of the Monster, but not quite on the same level as in Plan 9 and Glenda (I still haven't seen Night of the Ghouls, but I will the first chance I get). Maybe it was just the wavelength I was on when I watched it, but it didn't seem that much better or worse than most of Lugosi's movies at the time.

-Vermin Boy

My site: The Vermin Cave
My band: The Demons of Stupidity
?????: ?????
claws
« Reply #58 on: April 19, 2011, 04:19:26 AM »

I don't exactly hate Day of the Dead (1985) but it certainly is my least favorite Romero movie. Everybody seems to love it, some even prefer it over Dawn of the Dead.

and

Repo! The Genetic Opera (2008)

Olivia Bauer
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #59 on: April 19, 2011, 09:58:48 AM »

Jesus Christ! What's with all the guests on this thread?

-Fifth Element
-Wizard of Oz
-Most "Modern" Comedy films

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Movies everyone else loves but, you hate « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.