Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 07:08:49 AM
714232 Posts in 53092 Topics by 7736 Members
Latest Member: ShayneGree
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Where's the love..? « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Where's the love..?  (Read 2021 times)
Feathertop
« on: May 09, 2003, 02:38:26 PM »

I'm new to this board and just started posting here last week and I was wondering if there are any other Paul Naschy fans here.  I grew up watching his films on the Local Late Night Bad Movie Show when I was younger and have loved the way his films run the gamut from CLASSICALLY BAD (ASSIGNMENT TERROR, DR JEKYLL VS THE WOLFMAN, THE WEREWOLF VS THE YETI, HUNCHBACK OF THE RUE MORGUE, THE WEREWOLF VS THE VAMPIRE WOMEN, etc) to UNWATCHABLY BAD (DRACULA'S GREAT LOVE, plus ALL of the films he made with his Japanese collaborators).
Any of you love or hate Jacinto's films? (And if you're one of his more fanatical devotees who hate the way B-Movie fans love to laugh at the enjoyably trashy elements of his films, I'll spot you that maybe in the original Spanish the dialogue may be better but hey, poorly dubbed dialogue is part of the fun of watching B-Movies as far as I'm concerned.)
illcos
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2003, 08:26:51 PM »

i just saw 'werewolf vs. the vampire woman' the other night (same one i presume, unless there are two - which would rip a hole in the fabric of time), and i thought it was pretty excellent.  there were some scenes where contrast would've helped (re: black werewolf running in the forest at night), but i have no other qualms with the cinematography.  heh, what about the sister getting her head cut off?  second cleanest axe beheading next to the policeman in 'the brain' - the second axe drop doesn't even hit the neck and the head comes off - they make it look so easy :)
Feathertop
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2003, 10:00:26 PM »

I agree that THE WEREWOLF VS THE VAMPIRE WOMEN is the cream of the Jacinto "Paul Naschy" Molina crop and it's usually the one his biggest fans trot out for praise when his name is mentioned, but my Bad Movie Loving Heart (Wasn't that a song by the guy who now stars in "DOC"?) will always prefer his many other films, which tend to be "fun" bad to "unbearably" bad.
Any way you look at his films though, they are a TRIP to watch and as I've roamed the internet's various Bad Movie Forums I've always been amazed at how little mentioned Naschy and his movies are.  They are B-Movie HEAVEN and you'd think they'd be up there with Japanese Monster Movies or Peplums or Mexican Wrestling Movies or even unhinged imported Kung Fu Films from the 70's!  (Right down to the awkward English dubbing!)  
Maybe I'm just too old (I'm 39) and it's a Generational thing!  
Anyway, if you and your friends like throwing insults at B-Movies you may want to check out other Naschy Flicks like:
ASSIGNMENT TERROR in which aliens led by THE Michael Rennie use a vampire, a mummy, a missnamed Frankenstein Monster and Naschy's recurring werewolf character Waldemar Daninsky in a plot to conquer the Earth.(Last year I did a Reader Review of this one at the Jabootu Site if it sounds familiar.)
DR JEKYLL VS THE WOLFMAN - A descendant of the original Dr Jekyll tries to cure Waldemar of lycanthropy through the novel approach of having him turn into a kinky and murderous Mr Hyde on the nights of the full moon(THIS is better than being a werewolf?) There's even a scene in a DISCO for God's sake!
THE WEREWOLF VS THE YETI - Waldemar travels to the Himalayas in search of an herb that will cure his lupine condition and runs afoul of Cannibal/Vampire women and the sadistic woman of a Himalayan Warlord as well as a Yeti.(Beware of shorter prints that don't make it clear that Yeti are supposedly Himalayan versions of werewolves and the Yeti he fights is after the same herbal "cure")
THE HUNCHBACK OF THE RUE MORGUE - One of Naschy's non-Waldemar movies in which he plays a Hunchback who steals bodies from the morgue for a mad scientist who uses the parts to create a monster. Another wonderful mish-mash of a story from Spain's "King of Horror!"  P.S. Rats REALLY WERE hurt during the making of this film!
illcos
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2003, 10:19:15 AM »

oh man, those synopses sound brilliant - i'll have to check those out.  'the hunchback of the rue morgue' has got to be one of the worst film titles i've ever heard.  'assignment terror' has a nice plot, all monsters can live in harmony - to destroy humankind.  maybe it's a metaphor for world peace, or just a tremendously crackpot idea brought by having access to a cache of previously used monster costumes.
Feathertop
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2003, 11:58:40 AM »

Glad the synopses appealed to you and I hope the movies don't disappoint you if and/or when you get to see them.  I'm always glad to spread the word about Naschy to others. Hell, I do everything except go door-to-door asking people: "Excuse me sir or ma'am, but did you know Paul Naschy has a wonderful plan for your life?"
He's still alive in fact and there are persisting stories that he and Brazil's King of Horror "Coffin Joe" are going to do a film together (although for all I know it may turn out to be as false a story as the "Freddie vs Jason Voorhees" movie that's been talked about forever).
illcos
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2003, 12:21:14 PM »

it's out in august - a friend of mine already saw it in a test audience preview.
Feathertop
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2003, 12:23:02 PM »

Oh my God, you're kidding! After all this time I had just pretty much assigned it Urban Legend status!  Did your friend like it?
illcos
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2003, 01:37:00 PM »

yeah, he said it was good if you don't mind the bad acting and non-existant plot.  apparently a lot of the special effects are yet to be completed since this is such an early screening, but he said it's pretty gorey (which can never do you wrong).
JohnL
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2003, 03:05:56 AM »

>but he said it's pretty gorey

Which will of course, be butchered by the desire to please the MPAA...
Feathertop
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2003, 04:40:14 PM »

I like the imagery you employed there - "butchering" out the gore! I like that!
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Where's the love..? « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.