Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 02:28:59 PM
713356 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Whats up with horror movies now days « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Whats up with horror movies now days  (Read 6243 times)
wycked nick
« on: May 16, 2003, 03:55:30 AM »

Why is it that most horror movies now days are so lame.There just a bunch of bloody special effects,and frankly thats not scary. It seems the direrctors are just trying to one up on the other by having the bloodiest special effects, but they don't pay enough attention to what truly make a horror movie scary and thats atmosphere.
Look at some of the great horror movies:The texas chainsaw massacre,The Thing(remake),Night of the living dead and Dawn of the dead,Charlie and the chocolate factory(dude those f**king Umpa Lumpas are freaky and you can not tell me Willy Wonka is not evil.),The hills have eyes,and Hellraiser, there are many more to, but I can't name them all these are just the ones that stand out to me.All these movies had great atmosphere and were creepy to watch.They didn't go for bloody shock effects but tried to scare you through the use of the charectors and the atmosphere that suronds them.
Now days movies like:House on haunted hill,13 ghosts,Ghost ship,Resident Evil, and Fear dot com, just lack in scares.There is no atmosphere to them.the charectors have become lame and just seem to be there for meat.There just isn't any scares in them.
I found Signs to be more frrighting than any of the above metioned movies.
wycked nick
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2003, 03:56:30 AM »

by the way I know I can't spell
Brother Ragnarok
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2003, 04:46:13 AM »

I actually thought the House on Haunted Hill remake was quite good.  Unfortunately Dark Castle quickly went to s**t with 13 Ghosts and Ghost Ship, but at least they got ONE movie right.
And let's not forget that House of 1000 Corpses slays all in its path.
But there are tons of great horror flicks out there, they just don't get released in theaters.  Although it's kind of irritating that the genre NEVER gets any of the credit it deserves exactly because all the crap goes to the theaters and the good stuff hits the shelves right away, it makes being a fan more fun.  The joy of sitting down with a new movie after I actually had to do some work to get it will never fade in my eyes.
So I say (and this is Plan B after invading Hollywood, of course) let's just keep doing what we're doing.  Let's not go out and give another ticket sale to a half-assed "horror" flick that we know is going to suck s**t just because we have nothing better to do.  Instead, take half an hour, go down to the video store, and rent (or buy, whichever works) the next Wendigo or Ginger Snaps or The Item (yeah, I know not all of you like those flicks, but you get the idea).  Give the inventive new talent the credit they deserve, and let them know that you appreciate what they're doing.  Words come cheap.  We can b***h about the state of mainstream genre cinema all day long, and sometimes that's fun to do, sure.  But when it comes right down to it, we have the ability to make a mark and push against the tide of idiots rushing out to see Valentine or what have you.  We are the people who CREATED this f**king genre and kept it going.  We are the ones who know and love it, so let's give something back to it and tell the studios to go f**k themselves.  We'll find our entertainment elsewhere.
Sorry this turned into sort of a diatribe, but goddammit, it's true.

Brother R

There are only two important things in life - monsters and hot chicks.
    - Rob Zombie
Rape is just cause for murdering.
    - Strapping Young Lad
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2003, 09:57:59 AM »

I think that Friday the 13th sent horror movies spinning off in a new (bad) direction. I am a big fan of the horror movies of the 1970s (especially the ones that were produced in Europe). Friday the 13th launched a bunch of "masked slasher" rip-offs, then one thing led to another, until we got to today where everything is special effects and blood.

Bring back the 70s, I say.

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
Mr_Vindictive

By Sword. By Pick. By Axe. Bye Bye.

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2003, 10:08:09 AM »

Brother R, we agree again.  I would much rather watch a new indie horror films than sit through some rehashed crap at a theater!  We are a nation, as a whole, without creativity or imagination.  We want everything to be spelled out for us in films.  We don't want to have to use our minds!  And even if we tried, it wouldn't work.  They're mush from all of the crap that we have been subjected to from all of the years of sitcoms and made for tv movies.  Not to forget our fast food!

We are a nation of idiots, being ran by idiots.  When someone tries to be creative in this society, do they get recognition for it!?  No!  They get their film shown in less than a thousand theaters in the country, or the film goes straight to video.  If DTV is the case, then the mindless minions of Hollywood Video and Blockbuster and the like will not rent it because they would consider it crap for being DTV, not even considering the fact that it could be the greatest film they had ever seen.  No, not our mindless society.  Atleast there are a few of us, like Brother R, who are into good films such as Wendigo.....

Wow...I feel a lot better.

A bald man named Savalas visited me last night in a dream.  I think it was a Telly vision.
Kirk
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2003, 10:37:50 AM »

I blame the cheezy CGI monsters that seem to populate everything that comes out of Hollywood nowadays.  CGI monsters just don't scare me.  They don't have mass like a guy in a suit.

I think it has to do with knowing that an actor who is in a room with 200 REAL spiders/scorpions/snakes is in a situation that most of us would find uncomfortable (at least), while an actor in a room with 200 CGI critters is not.

Kirk
Evan3
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2003, 11:53:17 AM »

Just wait a bit

I will agree that about 75 percent of the s**t out in theatres is real s**t. However, you occasionally strike gold with movies like The Ring (a decent remake), Frailty, fun and Steven Kingish, and Williard (hmmm another remake), Blair Witch and Pitch Black.

However, you must remember that most of America does not see nearly the horror/sci fi that we do. Therefore, the mass populace goes out to see movies that have VERY good trailers (Darkness Falls, tied for worst movie ever, is # 1 for three weeks? ugh) and studio exec say, well, we are on to SOMETHING.

So I chalk all of these bad, successful films, to ignorance, and studios pretty much abandoning their good filmssuch as Williard for cheap fare that the KNOW will still work, like Final Destination 2.

"Sir, if you were my husband, I would poison your drink."

--Lady Astor to Winston Churchill

"Madam, if you were my wife, I would drink it."

--His reply
Chadzilla
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2003, 01:25:52 PM »

The studios release watered down mass market movies while the indies go for the edge.  Nothing new there, really.  Some of the horror movies that came out that impressed and/or worked for me are...

The Sixth Sense (I thought it was an excellent ghost story, sue me)
The Blair Witch Project (it built a rather credible fictional legend and a few creepy moments)
Session 9
Wendigo (wow, intelligent, thoughtful, and has a goofy monster - if I ever made a movie, it would be this one)
Below (a truly great ghost story!)

Honorable mentions go to
Stir of Echoes, The Item, The Ring

Guilty Pleasures (of come on, I'm a not only a b-movie fan, I'm a bad movie fan as well)
Jason X, Halloween: Resurrection, Deep Blue Sea

There are others, they're just hiding in the debris littered wreck that is my mind.

Chadzilla
Gosh, remember when the Internet was supposed to be a wonderful magical place where intelligent, articulate people shared information? Neighborhood went to hell real fast... - Anarquistador
Dave: Blackeye15
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2003, 01:56:27 PM »

I did a similar topic like this before and I agree how the U.S. is quite stupit but I have found some gems in horror.

The Sixth Sense: GOOD STUFF!

The Blair Witch Project: SCARED ME ALL RIGHT!

DOG SOLIDERS: ENTERTAINING , SCARY, and HAD PLOT HOLES.

IN THE WOODs: (I think that's the title) SO NICE SCARY SCENES, COOL MONSTERS, AND ACTUAL CHARACTERS. (Has a few bad things but I the characters are deffinatly better than other horror movies)

The Tremors movies: NICE 50 LIKE GIANT MONSTER MOVIES.

8 LEGGED FREAKS: NOT to-BAD GIANT BUG MOVIE.

-the first rule of fat club-
Johnny Blister
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2003, 01:58:10 PM »

STOP BASHING HORROR!

Horror is in top notch form.It has never been better.
And believe,it has endured the blows of movies like"The Haunting"and"Freddy´s Dead:The Final Nightmare".
Chadzilla
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2003, 02:10:45 PM »

Dave: Blackeye15 wrote:

> IN THE WOODs: (I think that's the title) SO NICE SCARY SCENES,
> COOL MONSTERS, AND ACTUAL CHARACTERS. (Has a few bad things but
> I the characters are deffinatly better than other horror
> movies)
>

Excuse me, was that the low, low budget movie about the firefighters that went hunting in the woods, found the altar, messed with it, then had a monster leaving them presents afterwards?  That movie was terrible!  Nifty idea that, while the director managed to pull of some nice moments, needed for the script to be retooled.  The story was sloppy and unfocused (I swear it played like a first draft) with various plot elements and subplots getting tangled up and tripping over each other.  Still, I'd watch it again, so maybe it wasn't that bad.

Another one I'd recommend is The Last Broadcast.  A weak, albeit interesting, mock-documentary about a some geeks that were slaughtered in the pine barrens while attempting a public access show on the Jersey Devil.  Be warned, the movie has a flawed ending that could ruin it for you.

Chadzilla
Gosh, remember when the Internet was supposed to be a wonderful magical place where intelligent, articulate people shared information? Neighborhood went to hell real fast... - Anarquistador
Dave: Blackeye15
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2003, 02:34:57 PM »

Yeah that's the movie I was talking about. I admit it didn't make that much about the sword fight and the monsters back story, and I wish we saw more of the taller monster, and more of the Hell Dog and Taller monster fight. And I do believe the director was trying to have character developement unlike so many other horror movies that have been made in the last few years , so I think the movie was more of a winner than a loser.

-the first rule of fat club-
wycked nick
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2003, 02:36:31 PM »

Thats a good point brother ragnarok.didn't really think about it like that
Brother Ragnarok

« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2003, 03:40:39 PM »

Um...WE'RE NOT BASHING HORROR!
We're bashing BAD horror, and there is a difference.  Pay attention, boy!

Brother R

There are only two important things in life - monsters and hot chicks.
    - Rob Zombie
Rape is just cause for murdering.
    - Strapping Young Lad
Andrew Crow
« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2003, 07:01:11 PM »

I must see Wendigo...it's distributed by Troma, correct (DISTRIBUTED)? Because I think I remember seeing an ad for it when I rented Redneck Zombies.

Don't be dissing Resident Evil. That movie was a fun piece of s**t to sit back and watch with a bag of popcorn. Nothing more, nothing less. Plus...Michelle Rodriguez AND Milla Jovovich...MMHMM...
Pages: [1] 2
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Whats up with horror movies now days « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.